Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Any experience with Gobe filters?

I've been looking around for a fairly inexpensive ND filter, and I've found these Gobe filters which have plenty of favourable reviews. However, it seems like something's missing for the price they're at compared to Hoya or B+W filters for example... With the good words about them out there, it may be worth just getting one for the $30 (8 stop ND in 62mm) and see how it really is...

05-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gobe lens filters are designed in Australia, and assembled in China using Japanese and German optical glass.
Hoya filters are usually made from Japanese glass and assembled in Japan or the Philippines.
B+W filters are usually made from German Schott glass and assembled in Germany.

I would guess the lower price on Gobe is partially due to lower labor costs in China, lower HQ overhead in Australia (vs. Japan or Germany), and supply and demand as Hoya and B+W are trusted name brands that sell themselves. Is Hoya and Schott glass made in Germany selling and exporting glass to China for Gobe the same quality as what they use themselves? Only an insider would know for sure, but if the reviews for Gobe are consistently high, you can buy with confidence.
05-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use a few of their pro level (Schott glass) CPLs and a couple mid level ND filters (no pro level in that category). They seem fine to me.
05-12-2020, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The last couple of days I've been considering getting a 67mm CPL filter for my DA*60-250, but the prices for good ones are around $90-$100, and I'm not sure I want one that bad. I do have a 72mm CPL and step down rings, but I also have a lens that needs 58mm. I figured a 67mm would cover both lenses without needing to use too many rings.

I checked out listings for Gobe after reading this thread. A 67mm CPL runs $40; not bad at all. But saw this statement reading the ad:
'Made with premium Japanese optical glass for excellent clarity. Suited for entry-level lenses.'

That doesn't sound too encouraging, especially since I want to use it on two of my highest quality lenses. Can anyone comment?

[EDIT}
OK, now I see they have three quality/price levels - 1Peak, 2Peak, and 3Peak. The 3Peak 'Made with premium German SCHOTT B270 optical glass for supreme clarity. Suited for professional lenses and all telephoto lenses.' Sounds good. Still only $64, better than Marumi and B+W. May take the plunge.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 05-12-2020 at 01:35 PM.
05-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A point to examine is the material of the ring, which can be brass or aluminum. The latter tends to stick and when that happens they can only be removed with a tool. I always buy B+W or Heliopan filters, they are brass. Also important is the height of the ring when you use a screw-in hood on the filter. Most rings are very thin, the B+W F-Pro filters are 5 mm high though, all the Heliopan's have a medium height.

p.s. Can't find any specs for coatings or transfer functions or downloads on Gobe's home page (https://mygobe.com/).

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 05-12-2020 at 01:52 PM.
05-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have Gobe ND8, 64, and 1000, the 2 peak versions. I don't have a lot to compare against but so far they have been good for me. I am far from a pro and they fit my budget. I have read that they are nice and clear with only a mild tint, but are maybe a stop or 2 less than advertised. I don't find any noticeable tint, so if its there it hasn't been a problem for me. As to whether they are a stop or 2 short of their rating, I honestly couldn't tell you, they work. For the money I am pretty happy. Here are a few images I have made with them.

https://files.laqua.ca/pfimages/sunshinelake.jpg
https://files.laqua.ca/pfimages/fallreflection.jpg
https://files.laqua.ca/pfimages/watertonorangereflection.jpg

Edit: Should add I bought mine all at 77mm to cover my largest lenses and step down rings to make them fit everything else. The rings are metal and I have not had them bind or stick so far. Ring height is about 5mm, about half of which is threads so they stick out about 2.5-3mm when mounted. They stack well. They also come in a very nice metal tin, or with caps so you can stack them together and cap them for protection which I think is nice.

Last edited by vector; 05-12-2020 at 01:37 PM.
05-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
A point to examine is the material of the ring, which can be brass or aluminum.

The ads say the rims are magnalium. Wikipedia says 'Magnalium is an aluminium alloy with 5% magnesium and 95% aluminum.' I've used pencil graphite on my cheap step-up/down rings with no problems so far. A tiny bit of white lithium grease is another option, but certainly not ideal near optics! The Marumi EXUS filters have teflon coated threads, but a 67mm CPL runs $96.
05-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all - I think I'll give it a go

05-13-2020, 02:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I only have a 3-peak CPL from them (62mm for the DFA28-105), polarization is good and light transmittance is also good. The frame hasn't got stuck yet so also good so far
05-23-2020, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Quick first impressions... I ordered an ND256, and I'll start by saying that I'm happy with the purchase.

The filter came in a littlel tin, and a microfiber cloth was included too. It was a bit dusty when I first opened it, but a blast of air solved that. The filter itself feels like decent quality, it screws in and out quite smoothly. It smudges with fingerprints easily, but I am under the impression that this is fairly typical for ND filters. Also, 8 stops is quite a bit of darkness...

Anyways, some test shots. First a quick comparison to test for any colour effects, shot in manual with all settings identical on 'daylight' white balance, except for changing the shutter speed by 8 stops. RAW images, with the only processing being put through dark table to resize and convert to JPEG.

Without filter:

With filter:

Slightly off, but not too bad and should be easy enough to correct.

Next, seeing how much it affects the sharpness...

I don't have a step up ring (in the mail...) to test on something a bit sharper in the centre... but here's a comparison with and without. Even though it's not the best at the extremes, I shot at 135mm so I can guarantee the same focal length for comparison's sake. Again, same settings, except for a shutter speed difference of 8 stops. 100% crops, direct from RAW and exported to JPEGs:

Without filter:

With filter:

I'm quite impressed, though more difference may be obvious with a sharper lens in the first place...

Overall, I would recommend Gobe filters, especially for the price of $29 I paid... it looks like Amazon Canada has a $10 off coupon for this filter right now too...
05-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

A point to examine is the material of the ring, which can be brass or aluminum. The latter tends to stick and when that happens they can only be removed with a tool. I always buy B+W or Heliopan filters, they are brass. [/url]).
X 2...B + W are the only filters I've bought for the past 15 years. Had some difficulty with other filter brands in the past, but none with B + W. They are expensive though.
05-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian

A point to examine is the material of the ring, which can be brass or aluminum. The latter tends to stick and when that happens they can only be removed with a tool.
You might be putting them on much too tight. 40 years of aluminum filter use and I've never needed to use a filter wrench.