Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tip for buying a focus lane

Hello
I want to ask for advice, I need to buy a focus rail, I have looked at many and the more I look, the more involved I am.
What focus rail would you buy, to use with the Pentax K-1 + Irix 150 mm?
Thanks for your time.

---------- Post added 05-29-20 at 07:56 AM ----------

Hello:
I had thought of several, the Novoflex Focusing Rack Mini, but it seems to me that it will not be very stable, if I put it vertically, the manfrotto 454, the Velbon Super Mag Slider Macro Rail, Castel mini II ...
I don't know which will be the most suitable.
Ideas are welcome.

05-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #2

Are you going to be focus stacking? You may want to look at Extreme-Macros articles and reviews (see articles for other links):
Buying a Focus Stacking Rail?
http://extreme-macro.co.uk/velbon-stage/
05-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Novoflex makes stable products. Castell mini is the classic workhorse that has been working for decades - probably with improvements. If in doubt, drop them a line how well friction is controlled in a vertical setup.
I bought a lot of Novoflex gear and have always been impressed.
05-29-2020, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends upon what your intended use is. If you're only looking for a stable, precise means of focusing by moving the body you might consider building one yourself from cannibalized bellows parts.

Any inexpensive older brand, body type bellows from eBay will serve. Disassemble, invert base, remove lens/body brackets.

Rails shortened to two to three inches of length is more than adequate for the purpose and very compact.

[Image above includes Q7 and a DIY extension tube + adapter for Pentax A110/ 70mm lens]

05-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check EEKBAY, the Chinese sell several. The one I got was $15 shipped and works great.
05-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Choosing the Best Focusing Rail for Macro Photography - LENSVID
05-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #7

Aliexpress has a lot of those rails, both single rails as well as double. I am using one of those for a long time and they operate very good and a big plus, not very expensive

SHOOT 4 Way Macro Focusing Rail Slider for Canon Sony Nikon Pentax Close Up Shooting Tripod Head with 1/4 Screw for DSLR Camera|Tripod Heads| - AliExpress

05-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

PS: might be a good idea if one of the mods "corrected" the title of this thread - as it stands, that's quite "misleading"

05-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Depends upon what your intended use is. If you're only looking for a stable, precise means of focusing by moving the body you might consider building one yourself from cannibalized bellows parts.

Any inexpensive older brand, body type bellows from eBay will serve. Disassemble, invert base, remove lens/body brackets.

Rails shortened to two to three inches of length is more than adequate for the purpose and very compact.

[Image above includes Q7 and a DIY extension tube + adapter for Pentax A110/ 70mm lens]
Nice solution. I know what I'm doing this weekend
05-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, I value them all.