Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2020, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ballheads. First look Slik 800, Novo CBH-46. What are your tips, experiences with bh

I have been making do with a cheap manfrotto ballhead on my calumet CF monopod for ages, but in the back of my mind was always the thought that I should get a good one. Well coincidently two likely items popped up on ebay at the same time, and I bid on and won both at a very satisfactory price point.
As I remark in a quick review of the manfrotto, once you've tried a good one you're not going back to a cheap one. And IMO both of these shape up pretty well. Both have immediate plus points and slight niggles.
The Novo 46 (46mm ball) is relatively new and has great friction control with a modern style tension button on the main friction knob. I used this to take the pipit pics I have been posting with my DFA 150-450mm and I have to say in use its great. But niggles; twice the screw holding the arca type QR plate to the lens started to come loose. And a larger arca compatible plate I bought didn't lock in tight. The seller remarked "well it's only compatible". I remedied with some double sided tape and pieces of acetate sheet.
The Slik 80 has a 40mm ball and is quite well used, and simply doesn't have the friction control and smoothness of the Novo. But what it does have is a great QR plate and mount system. The plate is circular and the screw is fixed so you can crank it on, no medding with a fiddly little D ring. Then plop it into the circular mount and lock in and you are ready to go. Very smooth, one up on those arca fiddlings. But in operation the Novo is simply better, smoother movement of the ball, more precise friction control. The slik has an older style two screw knobs, a large lock/unlock one and a smaller tension setter, and it's hard to get a smoothly progressive increase in friction tension/minimum setting with it.
I did idly ponder putting the slik top end on the Novo but it would require some machining...

Pics:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have difficulty picturing how such ball heads are used on a monopod. Perhaps you can write a description or post photos sometime.
06-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have difficulty picturing how such ball heads are used on a monopod. Perhaps you can write a description or post photos sometime.
The intent is to allow vertical framing as well as up/down tilt while leaving the monopod vertical. Some makers offer a monopod-specific head.

Steve
06-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The intent is to allow vertical framing as well as up/down tilt while leaving the monopod vertical. Some makers offer a monopod-specific head.

Steve
Though with the DFA*70-200 and DFA 150-450, you can rotate the collar anyway for portrait orientation. No up-down though.

06-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

FLM makes a ballhead where you can fix the vertical tilt axis, just like a 2-way head. Could work well on monopods.
06-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just wondering which ball-head the OP describes as "small"? FWIW I've got two Manfrotto ball-heads, great on a tripod, a struggle on a monopod!

Manfrotto make their 234RC tilt-head specifically for monopods. It's got a standard 1/4" thread so should mount on any 'pod
06-05-2020, 03:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With my monopod I use a very simple high quality lightweight ballhead without friction control, crazy easy to use with only one screw that fastens very well - it's a Novolfex Ball 30.

IMO you don't need more in combination with a monopod - even when using a K-1 with DFA150-450. Just my 2cts.

06-05-2020, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The thing is I came across a web page a couple of years ago that discussed different ways of using a monopod to get max stability. Positions were distinctly based on sports/martial arts principles. Now my standard technique is based on one of the described techniques: the bottom section of the monopod is braced against the inside of ones calf, the whole monopod is tilted forward and tensioned against upper body. IMO this is much more conducive to holding the whole assembly still for the shutter press than simply using the monopod more like an upright pole. But with this technique, more emphasis is placed on the utility of the ballhead, it is always tilted, always being micro adjusted and the balance of the lens is testing the friction. I managed with the 484RC2 but boy is a better one an improvement.
i do also intend to use the ballhead on my slik SL67.
06-05-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
But niggles; twice the screw holding the arca type QR plate to the lens started to come loose.
Does the tripod foot have more than one screw hole? if so, simply add a plate screw to the QR plate. Othewise you might add some non slip material and use an allen screw to tighten it more.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The technique is discussed at about the 2 minute mark of this video (edit: this may not be the technique to which the OP was referring, but IMO, might be helpful)
07-09-2020, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
technique is discussed at about the 2 minute mark of this video
I call this "gimbal style" because like using a gimbal, the axis of rotation is now on a line with the axis of the lens, so there is no change in the balance of the lens as you change the up/down tilt. IMO thats actually more significant than the slight lowering of the centre of gravity.
So I have been experimenting with this recently with my DFA 150-450mm, now that I have a 100mm plate and can use two securing screws to the lens tripod foot. The gimbal factor is good. The trade off is a sideways out of balancing that takes getting used to. I haven't reached a conclusion yet.

Between the two ballheads, I am increasingly enamoured of the circular slik QR plate, if you are taking the lens on and off a tripod/monopod it's the one. Although the ball feels less well engineered and smooth in its movement compared to the Novo, when a weighty lens is on it it doesn't really notice - just as good. However I prefer the tension adjustment (the small dial on the main knob) on the Novo - works much better than the slik.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 

Last edited by marcusBMG; 07-09-2020 at 09:28 AM.