Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

Need help, I mounted my ND-filter on my UV-filter and can’t get if off...

I had a total brain error and screwed on my ND-filter on top of the UV-filter which already sat on the lens. And now i can’t get it of from the uv-filter.

Is there anyway to get if off safe or have I messed up...No matter how much I try to screw it of, nothing. Tried gently to screw and pull it out. Nothing. I guess thread is messed up now...?

I hope it makes sense (not the mess up, my typing. English is not my native language)

(Lens)
(Uv-filter)
(ND-filter)

06-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If all else fails, with a small saw, or file, you can gently cut thru the UV filter ring, and then pry it away from the ND filter.
06-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Both filters are together but off the lens .. ?
If so try some non - slip mat ... 2 pieces grip and unscrew from each other.

Dave
06-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As silly as it may sound try to do it very smoothly, without applying too much force. If that doesn't work leave them under the sun for few minutes. This has happened to me a few times and with temperature changes they end up unscrewing.

06-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it will come off but those filters can be tight. If you have any soft rubber mat or jar opener (as Dave said) vtry that. Are the filters off of the lens, or stuck there too? If they are apart, if you can somehow cool the ND filter it may screw off easier, if you had a cool surface to set it on for a few minutes. I've had filters stuck, give up for a while, come back and they come right off.
06-05-2020, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Hold camera facing down and give a gentle squirt or two with WD40. Wait 10 minutes or so and try unscrewing. Wash both filters in soapy water (dishwash is fine) after this, rinse well and dab dry with a microfibre cloth.
06-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Sometimes squeezing on both sides to get a better grip makes turning the filter (or whatever) even more difficult. Have you tried grabbing the filter on one side to turn it? That sometimes works.

06-05-2020, 10:55 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might need a couple of lens filter wrenches to get them separated.
06-05-2020, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they are off the camera, hold the bottom filter in your left hand and gently give the upper filter a bit of a nudge with three fingers on its rim with your right hand. Don't expect anything to happen. Rotate the combination about a quarter of a turn in your left hand and repeat. Then again about another quarter of a turn working your way around a full rotation in the same direction a couple of times. Not guaranteed, but it may loosen at some point.

If that fails, a method which usually works is to obtain two filter wrenches (these can be easily made on a 3D printer - see illustration). When you squeeze the ends of the extended portion, they tighten on the filter and allow it to be torqued. The trick is that they apply pressure evenly around the rim of the filter instead of at one location (applying pressure at one location will cause the ring to go out of round and make it bind). You need two, of course, using one on the bottom filter and the other on the top filter. Again, be gentle and if the first try doesn't loosen the filters, move the top wrench position around the center point slightly and try again. Don't apply much force each time and you might have to rotate the position of the wrench around the rims a couple of times until something gives.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob 256; 06-05-2020 at 11:19 PM.
06-06-2020, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Try wearing a pair of sturdy rubber washing-up gloves (not thin latex, they rip too easily), and put the filters in the palm of one hand, then press the other hand down on to the uppermost and turn your hands in opposite directions. That way you are not applying any lateral force to the filters, so they are not deforming or distorting.

Once done, try applying some graphite (B or 2B pencil - NOT graphite grease !) to the female threads of your filters, and the filter threads of lenses - this can prevent this happening in the future. Good luck - and if you have to break one of them, make sure it's the cheaper one !
06-06-2020, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #11

Filter wrenches are the best option. Inexpensive and indispensable when you need them (not often). Other things to try in addition to all the great suggestions above - put on a rubber glove. Or try a small strap wrench (smaller than in the video)

06-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
leave them under the sun for few minutes. This has happened to me a few times and with temperature changes they end up unscrewing.
And, if the heat doesn't work, put them in the freezer for a bit for the same reason. Cold usually helps when a filter is stuck on lens, but it's hard to tell with two filters. It all depends on their respective coefficients of thermal expansion.
06-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #13

I'm a bit lazy and stack filters a lot more than I should. I've learned not to screw them in tight, but have had this happen on occasion. A filter wrench or rubber gloves should do the trick.
06-06-2020, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
try wearing a pair of sturdy rubber washing-up gloves (not thin latex, they rip too easily), and put the filters in the palm of one hand, then press the other hand down on to the uppermost and turn your hands in opposite directions. That way you are not applying any lateral force to the filters, so they are not deforming or distorting.

Once done, try applying some graphite (b or 2b pencil - not graphite grease !) to the female threads of your filters, and the filter threads of lenses - this can prevent this happening in the future. Good luck - and if you have to break one of them, make sure it's the cheaper one !
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
07-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #15
Unregistered User

When I get a new filter, first thing is to apply a very small amount of silicone O-ring lubricant grease (plumbing supply hardware) to the threads with a toothpick, especially important with aluminum rings since they have a greater tendency to galling, pitting and seizing. Also, I run my fingernail along the threads checking for unevenness, grit, and roughness - generally clean 'em up with a Dremel and a tiny wire brush. Don't get over-enthusiastic with the wire brush, since the aluminum they use is pretty soft.

I don't use graphite because it's basically a dust or powder that will never go away and can get inside of things (like lenses) - and it sort of disperses over time. Nor do I recommend penetrating oil such as WD-40 for the same reason - it has like, zero surface tension, and will never stop spreading (and penetrating), and may mess with the coatings on the lens.