Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #1

Connect power bank

Hi everyone, I have intention to walk the Te Araroa trek in New Zealand. It will be a good occasion to make some nice picture with my Pentax K3II

Some part of the trek need 10 days of total autonomy (food water and electricity) For the numériques camera, to be out of power is very shame.
So I decide to take with me a power tank : (Anker PowerCore Essential 20000 PD Batterie Externe 20000 mAh USB-C Power Delivery, Grande capacité, Compatible avec iPhone 11/11 Pro Max / 8 / X/XR, Samsung et Plus: Amazon.fr: High-tech) and usb charger (Freeloader Chargeur de Batteries CamCaddy 2: Amazon.fr: Sports et Loisirs)

But my question is do you know if its possible to connect directly the power bank with the camera by the DC in plug directly? I make one withe a old power bank but I don't know if it's possible with USB (A or C)

For me, the advantage is double: do note take the charger (win space and weight) and make long time lapse the night. 1 battery is not enough for all the night.

if anybody have a solution I will be very happy

Thanks from france.

Last edited by jojobrax; 06-09-2020 at 12:24 PM.
06-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jojobrax Quote
But my question is do you know if its possible to connect directly the power bank with the camera by the DC in plug directly? I make one withe a old power bank but I don't know if it's possible with USB (A or C)
I rather doubt it. The "power tank" almost certainly puts out 5 V - that is the standard voltage for USB charger systems. The K-3 battery is 7.2 volts.

There might be something useful in this thread: External power for K-3 - PentaxForums.com
06-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

I doubt a direct hook up would be possible.

PD (Power Delivery) output is 5, 12 or 20 Volts. The output from the AC adapters is 8.3V.
Plus you'd have to signal the power bank as to which power profile (voltage) to use.

The K-3ii (and other Pentax DSLRs) probably have a voltage/power regulator but without knowing what the minimum and maximum inputs are you might damage the K-3ii.
06-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for this informations.
the output of the power bank is : 5-6V 3A / 6-9V 2A / 9-12V 1.5A and they said:" Our MultiProtect safety system combines high-voltage protection"
So I imagine the power bank have something to regulate the volts between 6 to 9 for adapt to the device.

06-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #5

higher voltages are negotiated with a digital protocol. Try checking for something like a "usb-c power delivery adjustable power sink" or somesuch set to the same voltage of the AC adapter. Then you'd need the cable from the AC adapter cut off and spliced in to your electronics.

If you don't want to deal with your own electronics, you could look into an inverter power bank and use the official AC adapter.
08-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All your dreams did come true:
The new Pentax battery charger D-BC177 offers faster charging - Pentax Rumors