Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any affordable (low cost) AC adapter for the Pentax D-LI90 battery?

Hi guys,

I could find the AC adapter for the D-LI109 battery but not the D-LI90. Actually I can find one but it is well over USD100.

Any other options or DIY methods?

Wanted to get one for my K-01.

Thanks

07-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That strange. Google search for "D-LI90 charger" gives a lot of links with price from 3 ... 12 $ (USA). Sure they all are after market but still should work. In particular I would trust "Kastar" brand. I bought battery for Pentax Q-7 and it works as expected.
07-10-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
That strange. Google search for "D-LI90 charger" gives a lot of links with price from 3 ... 12 $ (USA). Sure they all are after market but still should work. In particular I would trust "Kastar" brand. I bought battery for Pentax Q-7 and it works as expected.
sorry I should have clarified. I am not looking for the battery charger. Am looking for a battery eliminator for using the camera on AC adapter.
07-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do you actually need a "battery eliminator"?
My K-5, which uses a D-LI90, has a DC input socket and I use the Pentax D-AC168 mains adaptor. This is the mains adaptor that plugs into the "dummy battery" that goes into my K-70. The one adaptor "kit" Pentax K-AC168E AC Mains Adapter Kit - Best Price at Bristol Cameras can be used on all of my newer (8.3v) Pentax cameras.
The suffix letter of the part number, 'E' in this case, seems to refer to the mains lead, which is a normal 'figure-8' at one end and country-specific at the end that plugs into the wall.

07-11-2020, 12:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Do you actually need a "battery eliminator"?
My K-5, which uses a D-LI90, has a DC input socket and I use the Pentax D-AC168 mains adaptor. This is the mains adaptor that plugs into the "dummy battery" that goes into my K-70. The one adaptor "kit" Pentax K-AC168E AC Mains Adapter Kit - Best Price at Bristol Cameras can be used on all of my newer (8.3v) Pentax cameras.
The suffix letter of the part number, 'E' in this case, seems to refer to the mains lead, which is a normal 'figure-8' at one end and country-specific at the end that plugs into the wall.
Yes you are indeed correct. The K-5 (as also my K-7 and K-3) comes with a DC input socket. The K-01 however does not :-(.

I am trying to do this for my K-01.
07-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H can special order the K-AC1202 for $99.95 USD. Perhaps CR Kennedy can do the same?

Steve
07-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I need that I would probably buy cheap after market battery, destroy it and attach it to adapter somehow.

07-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
If I need that I would probably buy cheap after market battery, destroy it and attach it to adapter somehow.
Good reason to hold on to your batteries which go bad. Alternately, it's pretty easy to build a dummy battery with a 3D printer with insertion locations for terminals which thread through battery block to eliminator circuit.
07-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #9

The Pentax branded dummy battery adapter uses the same plug that is on the AC power adapters used on most Pentax bodies (K10D, K7, K5 etc.). The K100D uses a different plug. If you have an AC adapter with the flat connector you would just need to buy the dummy battery (it is sold separately).

Otherwise there are third party packages that come with a dummy battery but these use a round connector. I don't know if the connector is compatible with the connector used by the K100D.

I couldn't advise on or recommend a third party kit.
07-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
The problem is not finding an adapter but to find a D-LI90 dummy. The K-01 needs a dummy to connect to an adapter, just like the K-70 does. The recommended adapter set for K-01 is no longer manufactured and Ricoh has not old stock left. But even without an adapter, it is a great camera!
Yes. I currently have an old Wasabi D-LI90 which is not holding too much charge and i will remove the internal battery to convert it to a dummy. I am not sure if this will work but I think I should give it a try.
07-12-2020, 06:02 AM   #11

The recommended adapter set for K-01 is no longer manufactured and Ricoh has not old stock left. But even without an adapter, it is a great camera!
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Yes. I currently have an old Wasabi D-LI90 which is not holding too much charge and i will remove the internal battery to convert it to a dummy. I am not sure if this will work but I think I should give it a try.

It's been superseded by the later models which are compatible. See the below threads (which have links to 3rd Party options):

Battery/AC adaptor question - PentaxForums.com
Ac adaptor confusion - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-AC168 (AC adapter for the K-70) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's been superseded by the later models which are compatible. See the below threads (which have links to 3rd Party options):

Battery/AC adaptor question - PentaxForums.com
Ac adaptor confusion - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-AC168 (AC adapter for the K-70) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
D-Li90 on a K-01? The K01 lacks an AC power fitting.

Steve
07-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #13

My mistake, I thought the K01 was using the LI-109 as well.
07-13-2020, 12:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

But take care if you do so: the battery has an output of 7.2 volt and the adapter of 8.3. So there is some conversion needed.

For reference, the off-load output from my 'genuine' DLi109 'dummy' is 8.52v, which is remarkably similar to the off-load 8.33v from a fully-charged Pentax DLi109 battery.

This would suggest that at least a modicum of regulation is performed within the camera. However, disassembly of the 'dummy' battery does show there to be a modicum of circuitry within the unit, including a connection to the third (central) terminal. This corresponds to the "T" terminal on the original battery, there's no "D" terminal on the 'dummy', neither is there a corresponding contact in the K-70!

A guess would be that the "T" terminal is used to flag to the camera whether it's a battery or an adaptor that's fitted, possibly for power-saving purposes.

My only reservation about modifying a battery into a 'dummy', assuming a suitable 8.3v source was available, would be that it might not work at all if the third connector wasn't active ... a piece of adhesive tape to insulate the central terminal on a DLi90 battery could prove or disprove this. Ensure the tape is well fitted. You don't want it coming unstuck in the battery compartment!

Good luck!
07-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Ensure the tape is well fitted. You don't want it coming unstuck in the battery compartment!
How about you try it and let us know the outcome? (Just kidding, of course!)

Steve