Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

49mm Filter Package - Bargain?

I've been offered a set of 49mm filters, which seems like a good idea to use with many of my lenses have that filter diameter (and I suppose I can get step-up rings for any others that don't fit). Is this a bargain or just a so-so deal for the following, assuming they're in decent condition? The total asking price is $150.

B+W KR3 warming filter
B+W Fog
B+W 090 Red
B+W 092 Red
B+W 093 Red
B+W Polarizer
B+W 022 Yellow
Tiffen Soft Contrast 1
Tiffen Enhancing Filter
Pentax Morning-Evening Blue
Hoya IR R72 (I'm especially interested in this one for IR photography w/ my K100D)
Hoya Intensifier
Hoya 85b
Vivitar 80a
Blacks 4 pt Star
Colour Flow Spiratone Novelty Filter

11-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First, if you are using AF camera, make sure the polarizer filter is circular. Second, what other lenses do you have that take filters smaller than 49mm? If none, then you need step down ring (not step up) but that will most likely not work due to vignetting. Other than that, I would go to bhphoto.com web site and try to price the filters. When you come up with total, you will know if that's a good deal or not. To me if you pick about 7-10 filters from the set that you will use, then it is an OK deal. But if you are interested in 2-3 filters only, then you are better of buying them separately.
11-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a decent deal if you think you'll use most of the filters. If you only want a couple of them, then it's not really worth it.
11-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
About 10 dollars each... You can be even more creative with them.

11-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Damn Brit

If you use them, maybe.
11-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hoya IR R72 filters cost somewhere from 20 to 100 bucks depends on size. But if you don't shoot film much, I don't see why you buy so many specialized filters. You'd have hard time offload them if you decide not to keep them later on ...
11-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like Frank, I think, most of the filters will be pretty useless on a digital camera, as they are colour correction filters. If the polarizer is only a linear modell, you will be better off, buying the two really useful filters (C-PL and IR) separately. By the way B+W filters of old are often uncoated and Tiffen filters usually are uncoated too.

Ben