Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
86mm filters for Sigma 50-500mm (Bigma)

So I'm looking for filters for my Bigma that I have been using quite a bit. I already have a UV and Circular Polarizer. This lens takes a 86mm filter. I'm thinking about a ND filter but I'm not sure which one. Does any have suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

11-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The choice in this size is pretty limited and very expensive... If you really want to use filters, the best way is probably to buy a Cokin Pro or Lee or HiTech filter holder plus the appropriate 4x4 inch filters. I speak from experience, as I also have a Bigma...

Ben
11-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Ben, that is the impression I'm getting to. I think the 4x4 is the way to go.

Thanks
Jim
11-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
So I'm looking for filters for my Bigma that I have been using quite a bit. I already have a UV and Circular Polarizer. This lens takes a 86mm filter.
I have the Cheapma and I am able to use a 86 to 77mm step down ring on it. This makes filters a bit less expensive and the Corkin P series will now work with the lens.

I'm not sure about the short end on the Bigma, but you might see how small you can go. I only needed 77mm, that is the filter size I owned, so didn't see if a smaller step down ring would work.

11-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
I have the Cheapma and I am able to use a 86 to 77mm step down ring on it. This makes filters a bit less expensive and the Corkin P series will now work with the lens.

I'm not sure about the short end on the Bigma, but you might see how small you can go. I only needed 77mm, that is the filter size I owned, so didn't see if a smaller step down ring would work.
That's a good idea. You can use the 82mm Cokin ring. When I read your post, I immediately went for one of my P-holders: You could also widen the filter holder by a couple of miilimeters in diameter. There is enough plastic insde. As it is the open diameter is much less than the possible 82mm and thus vignettes the really big front lens of the Bigma. But 82mms should be just fine. And stepping up from 86mm to 82mm should not lead to much visible corner darkening.

Ben