Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2020, 02:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adaptist PK+MM installation and usage

as usual, I am late to the party....

if your turn the dial back to 2014, an enterprising PF member created the Adaptist PK+MM replacement mount for WR and non-WR Pentax cameras....

interesting concept - allowing the use of F-mount (Nikon), OM-mount (Olympus), AR-mount (Konica), and C/Y-mount (Contax) lenses while retaining native K-mount lenses....

several posts here, plus the website itself to peruse:

Adaptist - Home

Manual focus galore! Nikon F, Olympus OM, C/Y, Konica AR mount lenses on Pentax DSLR. - PentaxForums.com

Pentax K+ Multi- Mount (PK+MM) x 3 Giveaway by Adaptist - PentaxForums.com

there were several more threads and posts over the next couple of years, but interest faded and eventually, the production of the mount was sold out and then ceased.

I noticed the mount early on and thought it was interesting, but also felt that it was beyond my grasp and needed to continue to concentrate on my photography....

I moved through the K-mount and on into M42 lenses, continuing to seek that next adventure, that next lens, etc... until I circled back to the Adaptist concept earlier this year...

07-18-2020, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
production had ended in 2018, and trying to find anything current or new about the mount proved fruitless - I found very few photographers using it and none available to buy, either through the website or eBay...

so I put up a wanted ad, here at PF, and waited a few days - sure enough, another PF member had one but had never used it.... still in the original packaging and complete...

a deal was struck and the Adaptist mount was on its way to me....

but now I needed a camera body for the project..

the mount on the way was a non-WR mount, so I needed a non-WR body for this to work properly

the most-recent body listed on the Adaptist website was the K-01, not suitable for me because of the lack of viewer (I shoot almost entirely in daylight), and nothing newer...

there is the K-S1, which is a non-WR body, but it isn't listed specifically on the website - would there be an issue?

back to the PF Marketplace with a wanted ad and soon enough, a barely-used K-S1 was on its way also...
07-18-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know the difference between registration distances is miniscule, does this mount mean you can get infinity focus on all of these mounts?
07-18-2020, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where did you find the mount converter?

07-18-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the K-S1 arrived and I spent a week using it before decided to move forward with the project:

this is possibly the least-ergonomic camera I've ever used - where do you put your left hand on the tiny beast? it's much better with a manual focus lens (thankfully) than an AF one....

but that 20Mp sensor is sublime..... definitely a keeper...

the prior owner of the camera said that it has an electronic fault that should not hinder my progress with the project - and he's right, it should not keep me from moving forward....
07-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
so, here we go...

take one slighty-used K-S1, one new Adaptist mount, and with the judicious use of a JIS screwdriver.....

before, with standard mount:

and without:

note the springs at 1, 5, and 8:45 on the open mount - these are for tension on the lenses; it is suggested that if you leave a lens on the camera, it should be a K-mount or these springs could lose their tension eventually....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 07-18-2020 at 07:17 PM.
07-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
and here are the mounts; OEM on the left, Adaptist on the right:

once installed, it will be obvious but the Adaptist mount is about 1 - 2mm smaller in diameter than the OEM mount:

I suspect that since the KS-1 was manufactured after the Adaptist mount, there was never any trials/fittings for the mount on this model of body, hence the gap....

all the holes for screws, lens lock, electronic sensors, and the autofocus drive match up perfectly and the five screws tighten down just like they should....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 07-18-2020 at 05:10 PM.
07-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
.... but does it work?
07-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
yes, it does....

the original functionality is perfectly intact - to prove it, I mounted a DA 40 Limited on the body and out for a short walkabout....

at infinity:

and more typical shots for me and the 40:

07-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
so... we know that the K-mount still works... but the rest?

next week, the first lens to test this mount arrives: a Yashica ML Macro 55mm f2.8
07-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where did you find the mount converter?

another PF member here had one languishing at home.....
07-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I know the difference between registration distances is miniscule, does this mount mean you can get infinity focus on all of these mounts?

mostly, yes - the only one that you cannot get infinity focus is for the AR-mount....

F-mount requires the use of a slim shim that comes with the mount for infinity focus - but OM and C/Y are both supposed to be infinity-capable...
07-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
almost forgot to ask:

I need a list of favorite lenses to sort through/hunt for - so what's your favorite in these mounts?

F-mount (Nikon)
OM-mount (Olympus)
AR-mount (Konica)
C/Y-mount (Contax/Yashica)

I know this is a Pentax site.... but I also know that not everybody shoots only Pentax...
07-18-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
almost forgot to ask:

I need a list of favorite lenses to sort through/hunt for - so what's your favorite in these mounts?

F-mount (Nikon)
OM-mount (Olympus)
AR-mount (Konica)
C/Y-mount (Contax/Yashica)

I know this is a Pentax site.... but I also know that not everybody shoots only Pentax...
I have a couple C/Y lenses to go with my RTS ll and RX. CZ Planar 50/1.4 T* (MM) that I like a lot. The 50/1.7 is said to be razor sharp like the Ricoh lens you have. The older 50/2 (not MM) that came with the RTS ll is also a good lens. And a NIB Nikkor S.C. 50/1.4 AI.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-18-2020 at 06:33 PM.
07-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a couple C/Y lenses to go with my RTS ll and RX. CZ Planar 50/1.4 T* (MM) that I like a lot. The 50/1.7 is said to be razor sharp like the Ricoh lens you have. The older 50/2 (not MM) that came with the RTS ll is also a good lens. And a NIB Nikkor S.C. 50/1.4 AI.

thank you - I'm considering a Nikkor 55 or 58, either 1.2 or 1.4

also a couple of G.Zuiko lenses have my fascination as well, a 24/2.8 and 35/2....