Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2020, 11:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to use the Pentax AC adapter Kit on KP?

This may seem like a mighty stupid question, but I don't seem to be able to use the AC (wall socket power) supply adapter kit on my Pentax KP? Kit 168 with dummy 128, as by the homepage compatible with K-70 and KP.

It seems easy enough: Replace Battery with Battery dummy that has a cable coming out its... hind section and plug that cable into a power supply like you have for a laptop for instance. However I tried a cheap "compatible" copy and now have the original Ricoh Kit in my hands and the Dummy won't stay "in". The little notch that usually locks the battery in place is located exactly where the dummy has the cut out for the cable and therefore the dummy always slides out the hatch about a centimeter, disconnecting the dummy from the camera.

Help?!

Attached Images

07-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Hi TheoRK,

No questions are stupid.

I own the K-AC50E adapter I bought for the K20D then I learned that it can also be used on the K3 & K1.

You have to follow the description on page 40 of the KP manual ''Using the Ac adaptor'' I think K- AC167 (also 168?) is explained clearly.

Let us know. Mario
07-22-2020, 12:21 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The correct adapter (AC Adapter Kit, K-AC167) plugs into the power fitting under the DC terminal flap on the left side of the camera.

Steve
07-22-2020, 12:24 AM   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

I don't have a KP or ac power,i always assumed that the plug ( like on a laptop ) plugged into the side of the camera near where the usb plug is.

Dave

07-22-2020, 02:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
You have to follow the description on page 40 of the KP manual ''Using the Ac adaptor'' I think K- AC167 (also 168?) is explained clearly.

Let us know. Mario
Ok, maybe not a stupid question but I feel kind of stupid now. The manual that came with the kit is kind of minimal "this is what it is for, it complies with CE safety, etc." and I didn't bother to look into the KPs manual because the usage seemed quite obvious... but no battery thingy needed!
Yes, you are both correct stevebrot and dbs! Just dump the dummy and use the power plug directly.
07-22-2020, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Pentax only seem to supply a "one-fits-all" adaptor these days, at least in the UK, see Pentax K-AC168E AC Mains Adapter Kit - Best Price at Bristol Cameras .
The "dummy battery" is for use in the K-70 (and possibly some earlier models).
For the KP, disconnect the "dummy" and plug the little rectangular connector into the socket on the side of the camera, p40 in the user manual

I've got this Pentax adaptor kit and both cameras, it all works seamlessly

ooops :- managed to double post. Anyway, you might be able to sell the "dummy" battery on eBay or wherever if you're sure you'll never need it

Last edited by kypfer; 07-22-2020 at 02:32 AM. Reason: double posted
07-22-2020, 04:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you want to use the DC128 coupler on th KP, I guess you need to modfy it a bit, I use it for my K-70, but the battery lock is positioned on the other side on the K-70. Glue a piece of plastic on the DC128 coupler like I've shown, perhaps make a groove in the coupler for the wire, then you should be ready to go
Edit: you can't use it - there's no exit hole for the wire on the KP like there is on the K-70. If you want to use the coupler, you need to keep the lid open, but that will only increase the risk of damaging the camera. The grey part under the wire on my K-70 is a rubber part that you just pull out, then you can close the lid while using the coupler.

07-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Pentax only seem to supply a "one-fits-all" adaptor these days, at least in the UK, see Pentax K-AC168E AC Mains Adapter Kit - Best Price at Bristol Cameras .
The "dummy battery" is for use in the K-70 (and possibly some earlier models).
For the KP, disconnect the "dummy" and plug the little rectangular connector into the socket on the side of the camera, p40 in the user manual

I've got this Pentax adaptor kit and both cameras, it all works seamlessly

ooops :- managed to double post. Anyway, you might be able to sell the "dummy" battery on eBay or wherever if you're sure you'll never need it
Wow! Thanks for clearing this up so nicely. I was pleased to see that the K-AC168 is backwards compatible to a large number of bodies all the way back to the K10D. I wonder if the same is true for the K-AC167? This is very cool for people that want something more durable than various chintzy 3rd-party options.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-22-2020 at 09:24 AM.
07-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! Thanks for clearing this up so nicely. I was pleased to see that the K-AC168 is backwards compatible to a large number of bodies all the way back to the K10D. I wonder if the same is true for the K-AC167?
Steve

From what I can see from pictures on various retailer web-sites, the K-AC167 is effectively the K-AC168 without the 'dummy' battery (and at a significantly higher price!). The suffix letter, "E", "U" etc. seems to refer to regional variations for the complete "kit", specifically the wall-plug on the mains lead, the other end of which has the generic "figure-8" connector to the adaptor itself.
With this in mind, I'd suggest that either unit would be satisfactory for any Pentax DSLR using an 8.3v DC supply via the little rectangular connector.
My *ist cameras have a different requirement. At what point the change-over occurred I don't know, possibly when cameras stopped using AA-cells internally and I know the K-01 is different again, requiring an Li90-size 'dummy' in conjunction with the 8.3v adaptor.
07-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
From what I can see from pictures on various retailer web-sites, the K-AC167 is effectively the K-AC168 without the 'dummy' battery (and at a significantly higher price!). The suffix letter, "E", "U" etc. seems to refer to regional variations for the complete "kit", specifically the wall-plug on the mains lead, the other end of which has the generic "figure-8" connector to the adaptor itself.
What if I were to tell you that in N. America, the K-AC168U is officially "no longer made", while the K-AC167U is readily available. The non-localized versions of both are in the official Pentax lens/accessory catalog on the Ricoh, Japan web site. Might this have something to do with regulatory labeling or somesuch? The "J" versions of the transformer/rectifier for both kits is available on eBay and has no labeling

Steve
07-23-2020, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What if I were to tell you that in N. America, the K-AC168U is officially "no longer made", while the K-AC167U is readily available. The non-localized versions of both are in the official Pentax lens/accessory catalog on the Ricoh, Japan web site. Might this have something to do with regulatory labeling or somesuch? The "J" versions of the transformer/rectifier for both kits is available on eBay and has no labeling
Steve

Can't comment further, I'm afraid ... accessories like this were probably only ever very low-demand items. It's possible Ricoh UK still have some original stock whereas Ricoh US are sold out and haven't re-ordered.