Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whoa...

Too hardcore for me .

BTW: Did you see this during your research? A lot of time is spent on how to test a set-up's stability. This helps sort out any confusion between focus and vibration issues should the need arise.

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - Feisol Tournament CT3442 and Markins Q3 ball head

Good luck with your eagle trek. I'm looking forward to seeing a keeper (or two)...

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-08-2008 at 05:30 AM. Reason: add content
11-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had missed that thread Michael, thank you, very interesting. Neil is a goldmine of tripod info.

I was out Saturday morning in not so great conditions, on and off rain, low clouds. I took this pic thinking HDR, 4 exposures of which I used three, one at 1/10 sec. M135/3.5 around f5.6. I used Dynamic-Photo HDR to process and I didn't use any manual aligning and I'm pretty sure none was needed. I locked down the head and was using the Feisol CT-3342 legs. Manual exposure changing the shutter speeds between shots. 1/10, 1/25, 1/50 shutter speeds. So, I didn't auto bracket but handled the camera between shots to adjust the shutter speeds. Compared to what I was using before this setup is amazing:-). Actually there is no comparison to what I was using before.

Ok, let's see how the setup will handle the Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 macro, a pretty beefy lens in it's own right. f11/1.6sec

Oh, I forgot to mention- wireless remote w/3sec MLU used on all shots.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 11-09-2008 at 07:31 PM.
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ain't it great! And you never knew just how big a difference a full-on pro tripod and head would be (well, maybe you did or you wouldn't have taken the step). Regardless of the weight issue, if you are like me, it will be hard to ever step back to the old setup, even with a very light load. Enjoy!

For those reading along with this thread but who haven't yet made the jump to "expensive" tripod and head. You really can't even imagine the difference until you experience it. And when you do, you'll wonder why you waited so long. I've never heard from a photographer who regretted stepping up to better support gear.

Once you use an L bracket, it becomes indispensible. I've added one to every body possible in my collection.

The Eagle has landed!
11-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
:-), thanks Ron, I'll never go back to the old rig, except maybe for a very heavy flash stand, lol.
After a week or so of clouds the moon came out tonight so I had to grab a shot of it.
DA* 300/4, Tamron 1.4X converter using the new support gear of course. This is real close to a 100% crop.

11-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
And you never knew just how big a difference a full-on pro tripod and head would be (well, maybe you did or you wouldn't have taken the step).
I knew it had to make a difference and for the money I spent I was expecting a lot and I'm not disappointed in the least. I want a FA 77Ltd and could have had one but by going this route now I've made all my lenses sharper not to mention the very much increased ease of use of this tripod and head. Besides the DA* 300/4 required it. I'm just not really good at handholding lenses, especially 135mm upwards at slower shutter speeds which I seem to do a lot.
The price of the L-bracket really hurt, as well as the lever clamp but man you're right, so much nicer to use and way faster to change and setup between portrait and landscape modes.
The price is high but so is the quality.