Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #1

Pentax Spotmatic Corrective Lens Size

Hey all,

I recently picked up a Spotmatic F, and I'm looking about for a diopter solution as I am pretty blind.

I've got the corrective lens adaptor coming, but I'm unsure what size the corrective lenses actually are. I know the originals are basically impossible to find, but my thinking is that I could either cut one out of reading glasses (not mad keen on this idea...) or else I could find a corrective lens for another camera and use that - but obviously it will be size dependent.

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions of the lens for the Spotmatic F/500?

Thank you!

---------- Post added 08-20-20 at 09:40 AM ----------

Ah, found it:

Diopter / correction lens size question - PentaxForums.com

19mm. I thought this was just for the 67, but seems to be the K series.

08-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The genuine article to fit Pentax K-series bodies and earlier is hard to come by in the more moderate diopters, but a bit easier for larger correction. I use Nikon DK-20C correction eyepiece adapters on my Spotmatics and KX with good success. Note that if you would take a +1 with the Pentax adapter, the corresponding Nikon would be +0.0.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2020 at 10:17 AM.
08-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stephenmcleod Quote
I've got the corrective lens adaptor coming, but I'm unsure what size the corrective lenses actually are.
Oops! I missed this part. I have the round Corrective Lens Adapter and yes, the glass is 19mm diameter.

Steve
08-20-2020, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Hello.
I'm using the Nikon rectangular eyepiece correction lens DK-20C on my Spotmatic F. It has the right overall size. Notice that at first, it was very hard to push into the viewfinder's guiding rails. But after a fine filing work on the grooves of its plastic housing, the correction lens will fit right in.

Last edited by Praktica*ist; 08-20-2020 at 12:01 PM.
08-21-2020, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

For a circular lens, a local optician would probably cut an appropriate lens to size very easily.
With age, my short-sightedness has significantly reduced, so I can now utilise the built-in correction on my DSLR's, but back in the "old days", when I could read newsprint on the end of my nose, I had a couple of lenses cut to size to fit different cameras. They always seemed keen to help and pleased to have something slightly different to do
08-24-2020, 04:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
Following up here to err, square the circle, so to speak. Hopefully it will be useful for someone in the future.

1. I got a hold of a Pentax 'corrective lens adapter'. I was searching for Pentax diopters and not turning up much. These essentially allow you to use different screw-in corrective lenses, or lenses without a screw.
2. Olympus 19mm, Nikon F2 and F3 screw-ins do not fit.
3. Canon F1 screw-in lenses work perfectly.
4. You can get 19mm corrective lenses on eBay for fairly cheap which will fit inside the Pentax adaptor.
08-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Following up here to err, square the circle, so to speak. Hopefully it will be useful for someone in the future.

1. I got a hold of a Pentax 'corrective lens adapter'. I was searching for Pentax diopters and not turning up much. These essentially allow you to use different screw-in corrective lenses, or lenses without a screw.
2. Olympus 19mm, Nikon F2 and F3 screw-ins do not fit.
3. Canon F1 screw-in lenses work perfectly.
4. You can get 19mm corrective lenses on eBay for fairly cheap which will fit inside the Pentax adaptor.
Thanks! This is super helpful. I have the Correction Lens Adapter for the M42 bodies, but no glass that works for me. I may try your suggestions.

Steve

08-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I should try getting something like this for myself. It's kinda tiresome to smush my glasses into the back of the spotmatic to just get "most" of the frame
08-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Canon F1 screw-in lenses work perfectly.
When you say "does not fit" or "work perfectly" do you mean as a direct screw-in to the Correction Lens Adapter or just the glass portion?

Steve
08-26-2020, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
19mm glass lenses (without the black screw part) work with the pentax lens adapter. Screw in lenses (with the black metal screw rim joined on) from Olympus and Nikon F2/F3 do not fit/screw in to the adapter - but the Canon one I mentioned does.

Hope that helps!