Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2020, 01:05 PM - 9 Likes   #1

Pentax D-li90 battery adapter for the Hähnel Procube 2 Charger

Hi All,

I read a favorable review of the Hähnel Procube 2 Charger on dpreview and wanted one for my Pentax Batteries. The procube 2 charger uses a modular design to fit many brands of camera batteries. I contacted Hähnel and was sorry to hear that they have plans to support the Pentax D-Li90 batteries. They did offer suggestions for one of their other chargers that would fit this battery the Unipal Plus and they did reply very swiftly, so I cannot fault their customer support.

Since the design of the Procube is modular, and this really was the charger I wanted, I decided to purchase one anyway and try to modify it myself. This required some 3D printing and a little bit of soldering.

I have uploaded the 3D files on thingiverse, if anybody wants to copy my design.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4576379

The charger works great with the Pentax batteries, and it is a very nice feature, with the LCD display, that displays the battery levels.

Feel free to ask me any questions, if you need help assembling the charger.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Attached Images

08-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Forum Member

Great work! (p.s. the link to thingiverse doesn't work).
08-27-2020, 01:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Updated link

I have updated the link and now it seems to be working. Thank you.
08-27-2020, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks interesting

Since the charger comes in several different styles, which one did you purchase? you also mentioned that you had to solder some can you share the info? Thanks

08-28-2020, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Hi,

I used the Sony model of the charger for my project. I preferred the orange color

Each adapter contains a small circuit board that connects the contacts of the adapter to the terminals of the charger. The circuit board only contains a single component (I think it is just a small resistor).

The only difficult part of the project was to create the small contacts for the adapter that that comes into contact with the terminals on the battery. The terminals on the D-Li90 battery is recessed and the contacts need to be small enough to fit into these grooves. I used the leaf springs from one of the Sony adapters and used a small saw and a Dremel tool to cut them to the desired shape. I was able to drill 4 new holes in the circuit board and solder the leaf springs in place. It works, but if I were to redo the project today, I would create my own contacts from thin sheet metal and glue them in place. I would use small pieces of wire to connect the contacts with the existing holes on the circuit board.
Attached Images

08-28-2020, 04:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks
10-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #7

Thank you - great work

Nevertheless I contacted Hähnel now to ask for a Pentax Plate - hopefully they see this market

10-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Manfrotto pro cube charger

Hi Klaus,

I really like my Hähnel charger. The dual bay and LCD display is very convenient.

If enough people contact Hähnel about a plate set for Pentax batteries, maybe they will come around and start producing one.

I see that Manfrotto has launched, what seems to be a rebranded copy of the charger. Manfrotto launches its own Canon, Nikon camera batteries and dual-bay charger: Digital Photography Review
Perhaps Pentax could do the same and launch a copy under the Pentax brand.

Third option is to persuade Hähnel to launch a kickstarter campaign for the Pentax plates. That way Hähnel can wait and see if there is a market, before spending money and the production.

Cheers,
Mikkel
11-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Forgive my naïve question, but apart from the dual slot and the display, what is the advantage of this over the charger which comes with the camera?

Thank you.
11-05-2020, 04:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
looks and feels premium

Hi,

I bought the Hähnel charger because it looks good. The charger is made of metal and looks and feels much better than the Pentax charger. The LCD display is very convenient and tells you when the battery is fully charged. The Hähnel charger has the added benefit that in also charges AA batteries. This allows me to use only one charger for my camera and flashes.

Cheers,
Mikkel
11-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikkel128 Quote
I bought the Hähnel charger because it looks good. The charger is made of metal and looks and feels much better than the Pentax charger. The LCD display is very convenient and tells you when the battery is fully charged. The Hähnel charger has the added benefit that in also charges AA batteries. This allows me to use only one charger for my camera and flashes.
Interesting.

It looks like the recently-announced Manfrotto charger. In fact, suspiciously similar. Manfrotto might have licensed that charger.

06-05-2021, 11:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have anyone tried this charger made for Panasonic with D-Li90. The Panasonic BLF19 battery has the same dimensions and contacts in the same place as D-Li90.

Battery cross compatibility - Pentax D-LI90 and Panasonic BLF19 - PentaxForums.com
06-07-2021, 02:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading the spec of this charger, I see that it charges the batteries with a current higher than recommended. It takes 50 minutes to charge from 0-100% and recommended charging time for 18500 cells is 2 hours.