Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2020, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get another lens.

09-07-2020, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Hi Gary, Welcome to the forum! Lots to soak up eh? Whoops does that show I'm in Canada?

I would add to all the suggestions the excellant info available through this forum, here are a couple of great links!

K70

Another good source:Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Enjoy youself, Cheers
09-07-2020, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Get another lens.
We're great at making other people spend money, aren't we?

@OP: Jokes aside, the 18-135 is a "do everything" kinda lens, so go ahead and shoot it. If you find yourself thinking "I could use wider", "I could use longer", "I could use getting closer", "Aperture could be a bit brighter", then that's when you want to think about getting other tools for the jobs you cannot quite cover with what you have.

I also checked a bit your Instagram, and I think that the 18-135 will serve you very well!
09-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
We're great at making other people spend money, aren't we?

@OP: Jokes aside, the 18-135 is a "do everything" kinda lens, so go ahead and shoot it. If you find yourself thinking "I could use wider", "I could use longer", "I could use getting closer", "Aperture could be a bit brighter", then that's when you want to think about getting other tools for the jobs you cannot quite cover with what you have.

I also checked a bit your Instagram, and I think that the 18-135 will serve you very well!
Thank you so much. I thought seeing my point and shoot and phone camera work might give folks where I’m at. Again all the advice today is much appreciated!😊

09-07-2020, 12:54 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Let me be more specific, you can't go wrong with a nifty fifty:

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you want to do it on a lower budget, go manual:

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Wonderful for portraits with blurred backgrounds. Also gives you more options in low light.

On the other hand, once you start buying lenses you enter a very deep rabbit hole. Don't ask me how I know that.
09-07-2020, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary Kopp Quote
Thank you all, for such good advice. I am writing this all down and doing internet look ups.
To add to your list that I would consider basic:

a) Spare battery. That way you always have a spare wherever you are when the first one dies.
b) Spare memory card. Less essential but again, it gives you confidence that you can keep shooting without having to delete images on the streets.
c) A blower brush and microfiber cloth or Lens pen for cleaning your lens well and with care.
d) Photo editing software. If you can afford it, a subscription to Adobe Lightroom. There are less expensive alternatives, but anything so you can shoot RAW instead of jpegs.
e) An external hard drive or flash drive if you don't have the space or the cloud to store your images.
09-07-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
. . . On the other hand, once you start buying lenses you enter a very deep rabbit hole. Don't ask me how I know that.

tell me about it

if ( and when ) the OP decides to get another lens, might I suggest looking at an " experienced " lens

the forums' marketplace is worth looking at and it is sortable by country -

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

. . . I plan to spend a good deal of time learning from these forums.
BTW

there are interesting articles here at the forums:

QuoteQuote:
Building a Quality Lens Kit on a Budget
Maximizing value and performance without breaking the bank
By carpents in Gear Guides on Jan 12, 2015

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/perfect-budget-pentax-lens...#ixzz6XODFiiQz

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-07-2020 at 01:24 PM.
09-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'll buck the trend here.

I can count on two hands the number of times I've used a tripod. In truth probably one but I was erring on the high side. That's not my shooting style, yet I have two very good ones with ball heads plus a monopod, I suppose just in case? :/

I have at least a dozen camera bags of different sizes, backpacks, chest straps, wrist straps, spending a lot of time looking for "the one" when I was starting out.

I'd suggest getting a good system to start with. Don't cheap out on the basics since you'll probably be unhappy and buy something better anyway. Someone above mentioned a belt and I'd 100% agree since it keeps your hands free until the camera is needed and it won't swing around like it does on your neck or across your chest. Particularly nice with a heavier lens since it puts the weight on your hips. I use one with two holders for two cameras if I need 'em, and I often do. Add a camera strap for more comfort and security in hand and easier stowing and removing from the belt. My preference is Spider Pro, and the pair, belt and handstrap, can be purchased for under $150 and maybe far under if you look carefully. I bought my last belt and holder for less than $70 on Ebay, new, and the handstrap is regularly available for $30 if you're not too picky about color. Spend any time out with your camera and you'll find times you need to put it down. I prefer on my side at the ready. The belt holder can be locked, and no one is cutting it and dashing off.

A polarizer filter is a good idea as others suggested, and buying just one well-reviewed filter for your largest lens and adapters to fit for the smaller ones is the smart way to start out IMO. Do some research before buying, perhaps take a look at Hoya and B&W who both have reasonably priced but very good ones. Forget about filters such as ND's, or glass that serves no purpose other than supposedly protecting your lens and taking your money. Use your lens hood which is all you need. Wait on other filters until you can figure out why you would need them.

Depending on where and how you shoot either a slingbag (LowePro makes a great one) or a backpack is convenient. Avoid anything that ties up your hands or lacks padding. I started with a side bag, moved to backpacks, and eventually settled on a sling bag since I tend to want fast easy access to "stuff" on a shoot and a sling can be moved from my back to front in a second.

An external flash can probably be put off for a while until you decide you really have a use for one. I never fired a flash at all in the first year of owning a DSLR. I probably used even the pop-up flash only a couple of times for some fill light. TBH the flash on the K70 is reasonably bright and could potentially cover all your light needs for awhile. Find out what your photo interests are first.

The magnifying eyepiece? If you have good eyes you probably won't need it or use it if you buy one, but they're cheap if you find the camera viewfinder too small. I have one, old eyes and all.

Resist the urge to buy gear before determing that it has value for you, particularly cheaper stuff. It adds up, and not only that tends to multiply when sitting on the shelf. Photo gear is like buying a pair of rabbits.
Haha I love that last comment. Thank you for all that good advice
09-07-2020, 01:25 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

One free accessory no-one has yet mentioned is - 'Experience'. The more you shoot, the more you learn about the capabilities (and possible limitations) of your equipment, which will help you to choose ancillary equipment you may need (or just want !) in the future. Zoom lenses have come on tremendously since the late 1960s, when I started, with a cheap 35mm body and 50mm lens, and, as the years passed, an additional lens as a birthday present to myself each year - first a 135, then a 35. You have the lot in one package there.

As for software, assuming you are shooting RAW, I use exclusively FastStone - it handles all the PP I need or want to do, and is free !! Being impatient, I have never had the urge to acquire or learn Adobe products, which seem over-complicated for my needs - and being the 'wrong' side of seventy, I have other things to do with my time!

Have fun.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 09-07-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: 'I' for 'i'
09-07-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
One free accessory no-one has yet mentioned is - 'Experience'. The more you shoot, the more you learn about the capabilities (and possible limitations) of your equipment, which will help you to choose ancillary equipment you may need (or just want !) in the future. Zoom lenses have come on tremendously since the late 1960s, when I started, with a cheap 35mm body and 50mm lens, and, as the years passed, an additional lens as a birthday present to myself each year - first a 135, then a 35. You have the lot in one package there.

As for software, assuming you are shooting RAW, I use exclusively FastStone - it handles all the PP I need or want to do, and is free !! Being impatient, I have never had the urge to acquire or learn Adobe products, which seem over-complicated for my needs - and being the 'wrong' side of seventy, I have other things to do with my time!

Have fun.
thank you for that software advice. Rapidly running to the end of my 50s,I get your drift!
09-07-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Another thing about experience is that it enables you to recognise a mistake the next time you make it.
09-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
like I suggested, look at the " Articles " section

QuoteQuote:
Why Not Try Out a Prime Lens?
A brief look at primes vs. kit zooms
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Nov 13, 2012

Read more at: Why Not Try Out a Prime Lens? - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
QuoteQuote:
The Benefits of Fast SD Cards
Card speed demo and product recommendations
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on May 19, 2013

Read more at: The Benefits of Fast SD Cards - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Taking Pet Portraits: A Guide
Capturing cats and dignifying dogs
By leadbelly in Articles and Tips on Jun 20, 2014

Read more at: Taking Pet Portraits: A Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
09-07-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

. I mostly shoot urban and city streets and interesting architecture and details. I also head out to the country side and shoot nature in assorted settings.

Then a decent tripod would serve you well. It allows for you to take your time lining up your shot and making sure the camera is level so buildings look straight and then looking at the frame for things like trash you can move. It also allows for multiple exposures that you can combine after. also if its dark you can slow the shutter without camera shake.
09-07-2020, 04:20 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you all, for such good advice. I am writing this all down and doing internet look ups. As one member asked what kind of photography interests me. I seldom shoot indoors, aside from shooting my cats or a friend. I mostly shoot urban and city streets and interesting architecture and details. I also head out to the country side and shoot nature in assorted settings. No so much wildlife.the lens I’m starting with is the Pentax DA 18-135mm lens,after reading many comments that it’s a good start. My work I post on Instagram as @gar_kopp. Again thank you for such a warm welcome and so much worthwhile advice. I plan to spend a good deal of time learning from these forums.
Very nice images on Instagram and we get an idea of what you are shooting. And of course that will change to as you get different capabilities and opportunities. It's already been said that here on Pentax Forums we're great at helping other spend their money. You have a great start with the K-70 and 18-135. Here's the suggestions I'll throw out:

Good memory cards, I think Sandisk is the best, you probably have those for your Panasonic.
Extra batteries - They don't have to be Pentax, I have several just in case.
Bag, you probably have one already. I'm partial to sling bags, for ease of use and quick access, and I prefer to travel light. I have two different sizes of ThinkTank Turnstyles, great bag. I don't always carry a bag when shooting, but when I do, these are great. But there are a lot of great bags out there, new ones every day.
Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloths - You have to have a few of theses. Just a little breath on the glass and wipe with these. I have got these in many places including eye doctors. Sometimes you may see them given away for free. I have one thats that have
company names on them such as Honda, VSP, and Harley Davidson (that one actually came with a pair of glasses.
Rocket Blower - use for blowing dust off of your lens or camera sensor.
Tripod - Excellent accessory for nature, architectural, landscapes. There are a lot of good tripods out there, and even more bad ones. Makes sure they are rated (both legs and head) for far more weight than your equipment. I recently bought a Sirui Travel Tripod and Head that were both rated for over 25 pounds. I wasn't really looking for the new tripod but it was on a B&H Deal Zone daily deal and a good chance to upgrade without breaking the bank. What I'm saying there is be patient, deals can come along. I would also recommend getting a tripod head that is Arca Swiss compatible, that is a standard that many manufactures use, so it's very easy and inexpensive to get extra quick release plates.
Circular Polarizer, a nice accessory for some of the nature shooting especially. Some day you may want a neutral density filter, but not yet. And don't waste money on UV filters, they don't help on digital and the lens hood will protect your lens, and always use a hood.

Nice to have, maybe needed, a sling strap for the camera. I have a couple Black Rapid straps, which I highly recommend, using the neck strap was giving me neck aches, the sling strap cures it.

There are so many accessories for sale that are just not useful to me, but they may be for somebody. And some stuff depends on how you organize things, how much stuff you want to haul around, etc. Just think about what you buy and how you would use it. Most of us have a bunch of stuff that we don't use. Some online stores like to give you "freebies" when buying a lens or camera, better to get it that way than buy it since most of it is not useful.
09-07-2020, 04:20 PM - 4 Likes   #30
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to PF Gary.

I'd agree with those who have suggested just getting the basics first. @Alex645 has nailed the list I think, with the addition of the ebook as @Aslyfox suggested. You might need a bag, but personally I wouldn't spend a lot on that, because your needs are likely to change over the next year or two, as you decide on what extra lenses, flashes or other gear you might want.

For software, I'd say don't lay out money just yet. Maybe start with one of the free programs like FastStone or RawTherapee and learn to do some basic edits (RT is, by all accounts, capable of a lot more). Down the track you might want to make a deliberate decision about choosing a software program - with most you can try before you buy. Most of us settle on a program that we feel comfortable with and learn to use that program. But that kind of choice can be a bit overwhelming at first, when you are trying to learn about the camera and the basics of photography.

On the software question, the main thing IMO is to take photos in RAW format as well as jpg (there's an option for that in the camera). Save the RAW files for the day when you feel like trying out some editing. My biggest DSLR regret is that for the first 6 years in which I had a DSLR (after 25 years with a film SLR) I didn't shoot RAW. All I have is jpgs. You can do some edits with jpgs, but it is very limiting. I look at a lot of my old photos now and think how much better I could do with them if I had the RAW files.

All the other things, like filters, tripods, monopods, flashes and modifiers, etc etc can wait. Each of those involves taking in a lot of information and making decisions that you are probably not equipped to make at present. Come back after practising for a while - see what you like and don't, whether you might like to get into wildlife photography or macro or get more serious about landscapes or portraits or whatever, because your decisions about what comes next will be governed by those choices. To give an example, if photography is a sideline to hiking or cycling, you might want a lightweight compact travel tripod, whereas a really dedicated landscape photographer will tend to lug a lumping heavy tripod no matter how inconvenient it is. There's no point buying one if the other would really be more suitable.

BTW, I think your starting combination of K-70 and DA 18-135 is an excellent choice. The K-70 is a very well-featured camera - you will be surprised when you read the manual and the ebook about what it can do. As for the 18-135, even if you add more specialized lenses later, there will always be a place for the 18-135, which is surprisingly capable for such a versatile lens. You might take some inspiration from this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-...at-can-do.html You are welcome to share your photos there too. This can be a good way to pick up tips and suggestions.

Last edited by Des; 09-07-2020 at 04:26 PM.