Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #46
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Have they implemented the DAM feature yet? I looked at it some time ago but without asset management its a non-starter for me. To be honest digital asset management is far more important than image processing. Lightroom already offers far more image tweaking options than I will ever use. But finding and delivering an image when someone wants it is critical to me.
Yes. I don't want to go into more detail, as this is taking away from the OP's question.

09-08-2020, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lots of support for a bag. Until you have accessories when do you use it? I put a lens on my camera and put the strap over my shoulder. Where does the bag go?
I have 4 camera bags and they store my accessories, not my camera.
09-08-2020, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Lots of support for a bag. Until you have accessories when do you use it? I put a lens on my camera and put the strap over my shoulder. Where does the bag go?
Easy fix. The camera goes on the belt.
09-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My suggestions:

1-A good carrying bag. There aree so many options, think about what you will carry, how you want to carry and use your stuff, etc. I have tested many many bags and can give pointers if you wish. I particularly like Think Tank and Peak Design, but there are other great products.

2-A decent strap. I use Peak Design's system, but rarely use a neck strap, I prefer my custom-made hand strap built from a strip of leather and Peak Design's Anchor links.

3-A tripod. Do not cheap on this, get something good or you will spend more money upgrading. Size, stability and price do not mix well, you can usually get any two. Travel tripods are not the same as studio tripod.

4-A flash. A good P-TTL flash with slave options is a good choice. I like Metz's 52 AF-1, not too expensive, quite easy to use and intuitive, powerful and reliable.

5-Lenses. decide which kind (s) of pictures you want to take, and you will be able to get guidance as to which lenses could be a good fit.
Some very good advice. I will probably be looking at a travel tripod, since I do t really shoot studio work..thank you so much!

---------- Post added 09-08-20 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photojj Quote
The type of photography you say you usually do (street, architecture, landscape, outdoors) is what I prefer to do. I find that the lens I use most often is the 21mm ltd., which is very small, light and provides exceptional image quality. It is equivalent to a 32mm lens on full-frame (which is close to the normal 35mm view). It is still wide enough for great architecture and landscape shots but "normal" enough for street and closer shots. I suggest that, after using your zoom lens, go back and look at the EXIF information for your photos. See what specific focal length you used most often. That's how I realized so many of the photos I took with with a zoom lens tended to be in the 20 - 24mm APS-C focal range, and led me to pick the 21mm prime. I doubt that you would use a tripod very often for the types of photos you describe.
You are correct, I probably won’t buy a tripod as my first purchase. But I think I would get some use when I get into the countryside and parks. Thank you for the lens tip!

09-08-2020, 07:58 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary Kopp Quote
Thank you all, for such good advice. I am writing this all down and doing internet look ups. As one member asked what kind of photography interests me. I seldom shoot indoors, aside from shooting my cats or a friend. I mostly shoot urban and city streets and interesting architecture and details. I also head out to the country side and shoot nature in assorted settings. No so much wildlife.the lens I’m starting with is the Pentax DA 18-135mm lens,after reading many comments that it’s a good start. My work I post on Instagram as @gar_kopp. Again thank you for such a warm welcome and so much worthwhile advice. I plan to spend a good deal of time learning from these forums.
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Excellent choice for a first lens. IMO don't by another one until you see where it's lacking for you, and it may once you discover where your true interests lay. I think it's a lens that will always have value for you no matter what your goals are.
When I shot film back in the 70's,N 80's the 135 was my favorite lens, now back into photography after 50 years away I have the K70 with a few lenses and my favorite walk around lens is the Pentax 18/135 lens!

Enjoy your choice! IMGP0014-01-1 | SharkyCA | Flickr
Cheers
10-23-2020, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've never shot RAW, rather jpegs; and am most happy with the results, including enlargements! I use FastStone imaging; and it works very well for me; and it's Free!
I think Faststone is excellent and I use it frequently, but it has two fundamental flaws for me:

1. I can't get the dynamic range out of its raw conversion that I can from my ancient Photoshop Elements, or On1, or... really any of the commercial programs. I know there are differences in things like highlight recovery capability between those commercial programs too but for me they are all in one category and Faststone another. That doesn't matter for a very low-contrast image, but lots of my images just barely squeeze into the histogram.

2. It doesn't have selection feathering, which is a fatal flaw for editing.

Otherwise, it's amazing for browsing and previewing. Maybe an expert would find flaws with color or lighting adjustments, sharpening, etc. but to me it seems like it does a good job with those, along with cropping and resizing and other editing functions.

---------- Post added 10-23-2020 at 09:52 PM ----------

I'd second the suggestion for batteries, but also suggest at least a couple of inexpensive travel chargers. I don't keep one in my camera bag because I want it as small and light as possible, but I keep one in both pieces of luggage I usually take on trips. That way I don't have to remember to pack one that I use at home. And if I leave one at a hotel ... I still have another one left. One thing about owning a Pentax vs. a more popular brand is that if you ever lose/forget something model-specific like a charger, you probably won't find one you can buy anywhere. And sometimes you'll find that having something shipped to you when traveling is problematic due to retailer security concerns - I've experienced that when I left a tripod QR plate behind (not a common Arca plate.)
11-05-2020, 04:40 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Hi all, I’m a new almost owner of a Pentax K-70 ( refurbished body and lens from Pentax store in shipping process) I’ve decided to step up from point and shoot. I’m sure this has been asked many times, but any suggestions for making out an accessory list for someone starting out? It would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Gary
Apart from the obvious such as more lenses, tripod, flash, which have already been suggested, one of my most used and inexpensive accessories is a remote infra-red (IR). I picked up a cheap unbranded one at a Pentax dealer here in Spain and it works great! I do a lot of tripod shots and although I have a remote cable as well, I always use the remote IR. And in conjunction with the flip screen you can use it for selfies too! (although I don't!). Another item is an L-bracket. Very useful when shooting on a tripod when wishing to switch quickly between landscape and portrait mode.

12-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to teach nature photography to college kids (back in the film days). Tripods (solid one) were THE single item that most improved their photography. The only other things I recommended for the class were ND and polarizing filters.
12-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Gary. I see this thread has gone on for a few months and there is a ton of great advice.

I saw a couple mentions about a quality strap. I'll echo that, and add that if you think you'll be walking/hiking much with a day pack or back back you might consider a strap that can also attached to the pack's shoulder straps. It keeps the weight off your neck. I have a Tamrac system I've used for years. If I take the pack off and just want to walk around without it for a while I can unclip the camera and clip it onto the regular strap that I carry in a pocket or in the pack.
12-26-2020, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Then a decent tripod would serve you well. It allows for you to take your time lining up your shot and making sure the camera is level so buildings look straight and then looking at the frame for things like trash you can move. It also allows for multiple exposures that you can combine after. also if its dark you can slow the shutter without camera shake.
I have definitely done the trash cleanup thing with my camera on a tripod for nature photos, but in some urban settings, your camera and tripod might be gone by the time you got back to them. But I agree that everyone needs a tripod - or two, or three...
12-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #56
Pentaxian

And if you don't want the hassle of a tripod, how about a monopod, especially for landscape shots ? Only drawback is that the standard 'monopod' head does not allow easy orientation into portrait mode, so on mine I have a Manfrotto 804RC2 head. Tried ball heads, but never got on with them - prefer to have independent adjustment of each angle.
12-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Some very good advice. I will probably be looking at a travel tripod, since I do t really shoot studio work..thank you so much!

---------- Post added 09-08-20 at 04:50 PM ----------

You are correct, I probably won’t buy a tripod as my first purchase. But I think I would get some use when I get into the countryside and parks. Thank you for the lens tip!
I can't imagine not having a tripod for even a short time. I do mostly various outdoor scenes, virtually nothing in anything like a studio, and when you want small apertures (or, for ultimate sharpness fans, do focus stacking) there is really not a substitute. But I would caution about the travel tripod. Make sure a tripod will be both one you will be willing to carry, but also provide adequate support and height. It's always a difficult tradeoff.