Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I have one of these on each of my tripods, and on my monopod :

Manfrotto 804RC2 pan and tilt tripod head | eBay

Easily adjustable independently in three directions, built-in basic spirit level - and allegedly a pretty good weapon if problems occur (since you will be leaving England !).

Have fun, and please post your images.

09-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I suppose there might be advantages with arca-swiss - if it were a standard, which it isn't - compared with the Manfrotto system.
What do you mean by it isn't a standard? It is a de facto standard... It's far easier to find compatible accessories for arca swiss than manfrotto - I own both.

Another option is to convert the manfrotto using devices like this:
09-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am currently thinking of this Andoer Panoramic Tilt Head 360 Tripod Head, Replace: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
09-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
Have you read all the reviews? Some reported problems leveling the head. Others reported that it wasn't quite right for arca swiss plates.

Amazon.co.uk:Customer reviews: Andoer Panoramic Tilt Head 360 Tripod Head, Replace for Sirui L10 RRS MH-02, Max. Load Capacity 22Lbs

09-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been using one of these for a few years now. I like it. Most of my tripods are Vanguard. I have been pretty happy with them.

Vanguard Alta PH-32 3-Way Pan Head - Anthracite: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
09-13-2020, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What do you mean by it isn't a standard? It is a de facto standard... It's far easier to find compatible accessories for arca swiss than manfrotto - I own both.

Another option is to convert the manfrotto using devices like this: Switch Your Manfrotto to Arca-Swiss - YouTube
Coz, the standard isn't fully/properly implemented. I'd heard there were subtle differences that caused problems, so when I was in a bricks and mortar store (last year) I had these differences demonstrated. The retailer was frustrated that buyers were, sometimes, experiencing problems. His recommendation was to stick to one brand. Kind of misses the point. I don't recall the detail of the incompatibilities, sadly, just that he grabbed some plates off the shelf and showed me. As this wasn't the reason for my visit I only absorbed the demo at a high level, and took his word for it. I didn't need more info as I'm happy (enough) with the Manfrotto system.
09-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coz, the standard isn't fully/properly implemented. I'd heard there were subtle differences that caused problems, so when I was in a bricks and mortar store (last year) I had these differences demonstrated. The retailer was frustrated that buyers were, sometimes, experiencing problems. His recommendation was to stick to one brand. Kind of misses the point. I don't recall the detail of the incompatibilities, sadly, just that he grabbed some plates off the shelf and showed me. As this wasn't the reason for my visit I only absorbed the demo at a high level, and took his word for it. I didn't need more info as I'm happy (enough) with the Manfrotto system.
When I was researching for my head, I looked at some of Manfrotto's arca options. It seems at least on some of their's, one of the mounting screws or something is too long to be universally compatible and has to be cut if you use another brand. I agree with the suggestion of sticking with one brand if you are able.

09-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just been looking at this one, reviews seem good and it seems to be solid Benro 3-Way Cylinder Head Tripod: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
09-13-2020, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I use this Gitzo ball head. It is expensive, but I will never need another...
Please don't, that's what I'd really like some day and for the same reasons. Solid kit.
09-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Please don't, that's what I'd really like some day and for the same reasons. Solid kit.
It is the best tripod head i have ever used......and with any luck....ever will.
09-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can find poorly implemented versions but I have five or six brands of plates and three or more brands of heads, they all work fine together. The level of compatibility is high, with small exceptions.
09-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You can find poorly implemented versions but I have five or six brands of plates and three or more brands of heads, they all work fine together. The level of compatibility is high, with small exceptions.
+1
I have numerous brands of plates and accessories ranging from crazy expensive to super cheap and have had good success with all. I can think of only one cheap China made plate that was a bit 'off'.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the proprietary Manfrotto system if your needs are simple, its easy and secure. But if you are juggling multiple heads / tripods / cameras / lights and other gear having a system that all works together is a real time saver.
09-14-2020, 04:21 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, so my conclusion is that is the majority of cases the standard's been implemented fully, so there's no problem. Just be aware that issues do still exist, but infrequently.

If I was starting again I'd probably go Arca Swiss, but I've several heads (tripod :-) ) and numerous Manfrotto plates all of which work well for my needs. I don't have to think about QR issues as all my gear is set-up and the QRs work well.

Proprietary concerns are not necessarily bad. That last sentence may not be correct where a certain, rather popular, mobile/computer maker is concerned. Maybe I should add, if they are trusted ...