Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Deformed batteries

Hi!

As I newly aquired a used KP, I got a bunch of extra 3rd party D-Li109 compatible batteries.
One (powtree with a whopping 1400mAh capacity) was clearly deformed. It wiggles when placed on a flat surface.

So I checked my old batteries as well, one Inov8 (1050mAh) might be a bit thicker in the middle, but passes barely my non-scientific wiggle-test.
The Pentax ones are perfect.

Is this a common issue? Did not find such a topic here in this forum.

Seb

09-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #2

If you look at reviews on Amazon and posts here on Pentax Forums it would appear that swelling is fairly common with 3rd party batteries.Swelling could be to the point where it may be very difficult to remove the battery.
09-23-2020, 02:21 AM - 10 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

all lithium ion batteries can be potentially fire bomb explosives.

I would throw away any item looking not perfectly in shape.

A few bucks not worth the risk of injury or burnt down house.
09-23-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Hi!

As I newly aquired a used KP, I got a bunch of extra 3rd party D-Li109 compatible batteries.
One (powtree with a whopping 1400mAh capacity) was clearly deformed. It wiggles when placed on a flat surface.

So I checked my old batteries as well, one Inov8 (1050mAh) might be a bit thicker in the middle, but passes barely my non-scientific wiggle-test.

Seb
Not a camera battery but I have a Squeezebox network music streaming system and one of the devices is a controller with a Lithium battery. I changed the battery when I realised that the old one had swelled enough to actually crack the slide on battery housing cover. The crack is barely visible with a new battery fitted.

09-23-2020, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

if by " throw away " you mean dispose of properly I heartily agree:

QuoteQuote:
How to Dispose of Lithium Batteries

Lithium and lithium-ion (or Li-ion) batteries are commonly used to power computers, cellphones, digital cameras, watches, and other electronics. Lithium-ion batteries are often rechargeable, while regular lithium batteries are usually single-use. Unlike alkaline batteries, lithium batteries are reactive and contain hazardous materials. For this reason, you should not put them in the trash. To dispose of lithium batteries, you'll need to take them to a recycling center, which is easy to find online.. . .

Our Expert Agrees: Don't put batteries in your curbside recycling bin. Whenever items go through the materials recycling facility, they're compacted. This can cause batteries to explode, which poses a risk for workers at the facility.

Search for a store that collects lithium batteries for a convenient option. Many chain and big box stores recycle various types of batteries on behalf of customers. Stores often collect batteries for free, but some charge a small fee for certain types of lithium batteries. These services are meant to help with household waste, so the stores may limit how many batteries you can turn in at a time.[2]
You can search for a store or recycling center in your area here: Earth911.com - More Ideas, Less Waste . . .
How to Dispose of Lithium Batteries: 14 Steps (with Pictures)

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-23-2020 at 04:08 AM.
09-23-2020, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Just a heads up on counterfeit batteries and other products!

Welcome to the Era of Fake Products | Wirecutter

Cheers

(I should have noted, I am currently waiting for a battery for my laptop, on which I am typing that is becoming more "ERGONOMICALLY CORRECT" the keyboard is deforming and I can't close the lid due to battery swelling!)

Last edited by SharkyCA; 09-23-2020 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Add Text
09-23-2020, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If a battery is even slightly swollen, do not put it in your camera or charger, even if it doesn't cause a fire, you could be spending a lot of time pulling it out of your camera. I had a battery swell that I didn't notice and I put it into my K-30 quickly. Fortunately the K-30 had extra space for the AA cartridge and it wasn't too difficult to pull out. I was lucky, now I look at the batteries more closely, and have retired another one since then. Just look at your camera and think how would you pull out a wedged in battery.

09-23-2020, 05:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi!

(Yes, I do intend to recycle the batteries properly.)
I did not encounter this on any camera battery before this. And it has not been discussed much here either on this forum.

My Dell had a deforming battery, replaced on warranty after less than a year of service. And I had a phone long ago that did the same.

As for hazards, the 1000mAh range batteries are not near the power bank ranges (>10 000mAh) that aren't allowed on a plane.

Seb
09-23-2020, 05:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if by " throw away " you mean dispose of properly I heartily agree:
]
Yes, I meant dispose of properly.

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2020 at 14:21 ----------

Hi!

(Yes, I do intend to recycle the batteries properly.)
I did not encounter this on any camera battery before this. And it has not been discussed much here either on this forum.

My Dell had a deforming battery, replaced on warranty after less than a year of service. And I had a phone long ago that did the same.

As for hazards, the 1000mAh range batteries are not near the power bank ranges (>10 000mAh) that aren't allowed on a plane.

Seb
That only reduces the power of an explosion. And there was that guy who got killed by a AA battery which exploded in a way that it turned into a projectile.

However small the cell is it will start a fire and generate highly toxic gas.

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2020 at 14:25 ----------

One more caveat about cheap 3rd party batteries is that some save money by omitting crucial safety measures which are exactly intended to lower the risk of fire.

In one report I read some battery management contacts were visible outside on the battery but they ended nowhere in the battery, just a fake. The electronics which was supposed to be there was simply missing by design.
09-23-2020, 06:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a theory that part of the reason 3rd party batteries may have higher capacity but poor longevity is also because of the way they’re provisioned. I have an electric car and the entire battery capacity is not fully accessible; this prevents very low or very high voltages when the battery is sitting idle (eg fully depleted or charged respectively). So when your battery appears to be fully charged or fully empty it actually isn’t and that improves its longevity. Anecdotally my OEM batteries seem to lose relatively little capacity over many years while the few 3rd party batteries I’ve had became so unpredictable after a year it’s not worth the inconvenience.

It’s similar to overprovisioning on SSDs which increases longevity at the cost of storage capacity.

3rd parties may utilize all the capacity which runs the battery from absolutely full to flat and so the battery is getting ruined faster if you leave it fully charged until you’re ready to use it
09-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hi!

Seb
I have four batteries for my KP - two sold by Pentax and two sold by “third parties”. None of them swell - I would immediately get rid of any that did.
09-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I meant dispose of properly.. . . .
I was 100 % sure that you did
09-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I always recommend original Pentax batteries. They are trustworthy and well built.
09-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I always recommend original Pentax batteries. They are trustworthy and well built.
This, and the fact they actually hold their charge over time.
09-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
This, and the fact they actually hold their charge over time.
That is my experience also. That is why I only use them now.