Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2020, 05:36 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Vello OCS-P3
That's what I have as well, so frustrating.

10-09-2020, 03:37 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
That's what I have as well, so frustrating.
Just try cleaning the contacts. It might take several tries but do it. Very often it's just a case of dirty or oxidised contacts.
11-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #18

Original Poster
Well %^&$%^ contacted another store with live person who swore up and down the Vello OCS-P3 would work with the Pentax AF-360FGZ II, so I bit the 2nd time, and it still won't work!!!!!!! I've checked the measurements on the pins which should be close enough for them to make contact. What I can't tell is if the pins are actually making contact when inserted because there's no way to see in. Slip the flash into the hot shoe on either the K3II or the K1MII it works perfectly. Insert the cord into the mix and there's nothing, acts like its' not even connected.

So my questions to the forum are
1. Is anyone using an Vello OCS-P3 cord with the AF-360FGZ II (not the FGZ, or the FGZ I , but the FGZ II)
2. Is there a menu in the camera or flash that I might be overlooking?
3. Any other suggestions, I'm pulling my hair out on something that should be so simple.
11-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any other suggestions
Hmmmm...it just occurred to me that the FGZII has a metal foot with the contacts inset from the metal portion. The Vello's shoe contacts are also inset. With the flash in manual mode and the foot seated on the cable's shoe, you should be able to measure voltage between the center pin of the Vello's foot and the contact for the side rail. If not, the pins on the flash foot don't extend far enough to make contact.

Added: One of the reviews on the B&H Web site is from a owner who successfully uses the cable with the AF540FGZII and a 645Z.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-07-2020 at 08:16 PM. Reason: clarity
11-08-2020, 05:36 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hmmmm...it just occurred to me that the FGZII has a metal foot with the contacts inset from the metal portion. The Vello's shoe contacts are also inset. With the flash in manual mode and the foot seated on the cable's shoe, you should be able to measure voltage between the center pin of the Vello's foot and the contact for the side rail. If not, the pins on the flash foot don't extend far enough to make contact.

Added: One of the reviews on the B&H Web site is from a owner who successfully uses the cable with the AF540FGZII and a 645Z.

Steve
Don't have either in front of me but it seems like I recall the cable shoe having small channels leading up to the pins, which would mean they were recessed. I'll have to check the flash to see if the pins actually extend below the plate. Again as before the problem is exactly the same on the K3II and the K1MII, and as before the non-pttl Youngnu will fire using the cord. So for clarification wouldn't this automatically indicate that the pin is receiving voltage???
11-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Again as before the problem is exactly the same on the K3II and the K1MII, and as before the non-pttl Youngnu will fire using the cord. So for clarification wouldn't this automatically indicate that the pin is receiving voltage???
No, what that indicates is that the Yongnuo works with your cord, that the cord works with your two cameras, and that the AF540FGZII does not work with the cord. If you are able to fire the AF540FGZII in manual mode using the cord, that would indicate that at least the center pin is making contact with the shoe. The reason why I suggested checking for voltage is that funny things happen when doing manual flash with a unit having Pentax dedication.

Steve
11-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #22

Original Poster
No, what that indicates is that the Yongnuo works with your cord, that the cord works with your two cameras, and that the AF540FGZII does not work with the cord. If you are able to fire the AF540FGZII in manual mode using the cord, that would indicate that at least the center pin is making contact with the shoe. The reason why I suggested checking for voltage is that funny things happen when doing manual flash with a unit having Pentax dedication.

Steve
Well that's strange. If I put the flash in manual mode, as soon as I half press the shutter the flash switches to TTL or PTTL.? I also coated the pins with some ink I had in the shop to check for contact. The pins are leaving only a "very tiny" scratch where they make contact.

11-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well that's strange. If I put the flash in manual mode, as soon as I half press the shutter the flash switches to TTL or PTTL.?
Yes, that is strange.

Steve
11-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #24

Original Poster
Yes, that is strange.

Steve
Well after an hour on the phone with Pentax this morning, their solution is that a universal cord made for Pentax and that works with previous models of the 360 flash, will not work with the II. Instead for the new model flash I have to buy the Pentax F adaptor and the 5P cord, even though it has the same contacts as the Vello. Im really starting to regret the purchase of this flash.
11-09-2020, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Instead for the new model flash I have to buy the Pentax F adaptor and the 5P cord, even though it has the same contacts as the Vello. Im really starting to regret the purchase of this flash.
The Hot Shoe Adapter F ($$) stacked on the Vello shoe might be a solution. That would be less expensive than buying the full set of the shoe adapter F, 5P cord, and remote adapter F (your flash does not have a 5P socket, so you need all three). I own all three, but only because I found very good deals over the course of several months.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-09-2020 at 10:54 AM.
11-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #26

Original Poster
The Hot Shoe Adapter F ($$) stacked on the Vello shoe might be a solution. That would be less expensive than buying the full set of the shoe adapter F, 5P cord, and remote adapter F (your flash does not have a 5P socket, so you need all three). I own all three, but only because I found very good deals over the course of several months.

Steve
Yeah I've seen some used that aren't quite as expensive.
11-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah I've seen some used that aren't quite as expensive.
Depending on your intended use, it may be cheaper to do a wired connection to a non-Pentax P-TTL flash or used AF360FGZ. How are you intending to use the Vello remote cord shoe?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-09-2020 at 04:28 PM.
11-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well after an hour on the phone with Pentax this morning
BTW...Have you brought this to Vello's attention? Any incompatiblity with Pentax flash should be of concern to them.

https://www.vellogear.com/contact-us

Steve
11-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm using regularly the Nissin SC-01 universal shoe cord which works well in P-TTL mode.
11-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I use the Vello cord with my flash often, it works fine.

Make sure the cord is coming out the front of both connections - the cord should be coming out of the front of the camera and out the front of the flash. There's nothing preventing you from connecting everything backwards, in which case it won't work.