Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I'm using regularly the Nissin SC-01 universal shoe cord which works well in P-TTL mode.
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I use the Vello cord with my flash often, it works fine.

Make sure the cord is coming out the front of both connections - the cord should be coming out of the front of the camera and out the front of the flash. There's nothing preventing you from connecting everything backwards, in which case it won't work.
Are you both using the AF540FGZII?

BTW...that last about the insertion direction is important. I remember at least one troubleshooting request regarding the Vello cable where the foot was put in backward.

Steve

11-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would return it. I have the same exact cable I purchased back in May and it works with my Pentax AF360. These Off-camera cables are notorious for being flaky. I cross my fingers whenever I buy one.
11-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
it works with my Pentax AF360
Version II? Pentax revised the shoe design for the second generation flash used by the OP.

Steve
11-17-2020, 06:28 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...Have you brought this to Vello's attention? Any incompatiblity with Pentax flash should be of concern to them.

https://www.vellogear.com/contact-us

Steve
I've sent them two emails now, no response. Look like I either go with Pentax adapters or leave it in the hot shoe.

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 07:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I would return it. I have the same exact cable I purchased back in May and it works with my Pentax AF360. These Off-camera cables are notorious for being flaky. I cross my fingers whenever I buy one.
This is the 2nd cable, I returned the first.

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I use the Vello cord with my flash often, it works fine.

Make sure the cord is coming out the front of both connections - the cord should be coming out of the front of the camera and out the front of the flash. There's nothing preventing you from connecting everything backwards, in which case it won't work.
Yup they're in the tight way. While they can be inserted two ways there's only one locking pin/index hole, that accepts only the correct way.

11-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It works with my digital 360 1. Any pic of the contacts of the 2 so i can compare? Forget letters and numbers.
11-28-2020, 11:45 PM   #36
Pentaxian

The fgz1 has 5 contacts like a die. The velleo has 4 contacts top right of flash not contacted. The chord is missing its top left contact. The base which connects to the camera hot shue has 5 contacts like a die. That might be a clue for others.
11-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

If those aren't working for you I'm thinking of selling my 540 and 360 (both first versions), along with the F5P and F5P-L, and adapters F, FG, and off-camera F.

I have used the above for years for HSS off-camera flash portrait sessions. It always worked well. I recently purchased a new wireless HSS strobe system and haven't used the cords, flashes, or adapters since.

11-29-2020, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
The fgz1 has 5 contacts like a die. The velleo has 4 contacts top right of flash not contacted. The chord is missing its top left contact. The base which connects to the camera hot shue has 5 contacts like a die. That might be a clue for others.
All P-TTL flash bodies and flash have 4 contacts on the shoe/foot face + rail for a total of five. The Vello cord has the appropriate contacts on both foot and shoe and has worked very well for multiple users on this site.

From the K-mount page Web site:

Pentax digital protocol shoe schematic

Flash Systems Evolution, Features and Operation | The K-Mount Page

Vello OCS-P3 Foot

Note "fat" pin for locking purposes engages hole on camera hot shoe.

Vello OCS-P3 Shoe

Note hole on shoe to support flash locking pin when present.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-29-2020 at 03:36 PM.
12-17-2020, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #39

Original Poster
Little update, after talking with the tech department of the manufacturer of Vello cable they suggested returning it as they had no way of verifying that it was in fact compatible with the FGZII. I returned it and found a brand new Pentax cord and adaptor for less than $30. Just got it in today. Hooked it up turned everything on it all works!!!!!

I dont have the Vello to compare, but the only thing that I see that might be slightly different is the pins stick out more. In any case working now, thanks for all the comments and advice.
12-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this talk about Vello cords not working forced me to do a double check. The weird thing is that I have OCS-P3 for my Pentax camera and I have an OCS-P3 for my Canon camera. By mistake I pulled the wrong box from the shelf and connected the AF360 with the Vello Canon cord. To my surprise the Flash fired, but only in 1/1 Full Power mode. When I realized that I made a mistake I got the right cord(the one for Pentax) and connected the flash to the camera. Everything worked p-TTL , multi, manual etc. So it must have been a problem with your cord.
12-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
I returned it and found a brand new Pentax cord and adaptor for less than $30.
That is a very good price for even the cord alone. What components are you working with?

Steve
12-19-2020, 06:39 AM   #42

Original Poster
That is a very good price for even the cord alone. What components are you working with?

Steve
It was a new in box " Pentax 3pc kit #50207" that included, camera hot shoe adaptor, cord and flash adaptor. The box was still sealed from factory. It came from a dealer in Canada, so I'm not sure if it was just overstock that they wanted to get rid of or they made a serious pricing mistake. I've only seen a few of these kits listed on the internet and generally they're $150-$200.

Last edited by Smoke665; 12-19-2020 at 08:38 AM.
12-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
It was a new in box " Pentax 3pc kit #50207" that included, camera hot shoe adaptor, cord and flash adaptor. The box was still sealed from factory. It came from a dealer in Canada, so I'm not sure if it was just overstock that they wanted to get rid of or they made a serious pricing mistake. I've only seen a few of these kits listed on the internet and generally they're $150-$200.
Wow! That is amazing! I got mine piecemeal as NOS but not for that low.

Steve
12-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #44

Original Poster
Wow! That is amazing! I got mine piecemeal as NOS but not for that low.

Steve
Stumbled across it on EBay and figured I'd take a chance. Finally got lucky. I was able to put it to the test yesterday, mounted flash on an L bracket with cord. I'd forgotten how well that combo could work in a run and gun shoot. Having the P-TTL and HSS available made it so easy.