Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2020, 03:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Rubber Eycups - K series Cameras

I am having a hard time locating a new rubber eyecup or eyepiece for the viewfinder on my recently purchased Pentax K-3.

F.Y.I....I have checked Ebay, and two different vendors give me two different answers. One says yes, they will fit and the other says no they will not. This included: K-5IIS, K-5II, K-30, K-50, K-50, K-5, K-7, K-SI and K-70 model view finders. They seldom list a K-3 eyepiece specifically.

My question is if all these viewfinders are interchangeable and will they fit correctly?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you!

Doug B.

10-12-2020, 04:10 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got one for my K-3. I got mine on Ebay from JJC. It is not identical to the Pentax original but it is not wildly different and it fits the way it should. I find JJC to be pretty good with their stuff.

Last edited by PJ1; 10-12-2020 at 04:14 AM. Reason: typo
10-12-2020, 04:43 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I just got one for my K-3. I got mine on Ebay from JJC. It is not identical to the Pentax original but it is not wildly different and it fits the way it should. I find JJC to be pretty good with their stuff.
Was your new eyepiece specifically listed to be used on a K-3, or was the eyepiece to be used on any "K" model Pentax camera as I listed above?

Last edited by Doug B.; 10-12-2020 at 05:00 AM.
10-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doug B. Quote
Was your new eyepiece specifically listed to be used on a K-3, or was the eyepiece to be used on any "K" model Pentax camera as I listed above?
Just to emphasis that is an important qualifier. Pentax changed the position of the diopter adjustment on the K-3, requiring a change in the OEM eyecup. Compatible eyepiece accessories will not foul and and will allow free access to the adjustment wheel. FWIW, the original Eyecup FS is readily available online for about $20 USD.

Addendum: I took a look at JJC's Web site and they do not offer an eyecup compatible with the K-3.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-12-2020 at 10:28 AM.
10-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax JAPAN Original Eye Piece Eyecup MII 30087 for 35mm SLR, works on every Pentax DSLR and has the opportunity to add diopterlenses:

---------- Post added 12-10-20 at 10:53 ----------

Pentax JAPAN Original Eye Piece Eyecup MII 30087 for 35mm SLR, works on every Pentax DSLR and has the opportunity to add diopterlenses:
Pentax Eye Cup MII 30087: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Just to emphasis that is an important qualifier. Pentax changed the position of the diopter adjustment on the K-3, requiring a change in the OEM eyecup. Compatible eyepiece accessories will not foul and and will allow free access to the adjustment wheel. FWIW, the original Eyecup FS is readily available online for about $20 USD.

Addendum: I took a look at JJC's Web site and they do not offer an eyecup compatible with the K-3.

Steve
I thought it was the other way around. The k-5 diopter requires a slot which the k-3 doesn't. A k5 eyecup will work fine on a k-3 but it will have a useless slot at the top. A k-3 eyecup won't fit the k-5.
10-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doug B. Quote
Was your new eyepiece specifically listed to be used on a K-3
It is the "JJC Eyecup Eyepiece for PENTAX KP,645Z,K3II,K5IIs,K7,K50,K-S1,K-S2,K-70". It says K-3II but I figured (correctly) that it would be the same as the K-3, just the same as it says K-5IIs which is the same as the K-5 and K-5II. It does not interfere with the diopter adjustment. It cost me AUD $7.70 which I thought was better than about AUD $30 for the Pentax version (I thought the original could have lasted a bit longer than it did).

10-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I thought it was the other way around. The k-5 diopter requires a slot which the k-3 doesn't. A k5 eyecup will work fine on a k-3 but it will have a useless slot at the top. A k-3 eyecup won't fit the k-5.
Hard to say. Word when the K-3 first came out was that old cup would not fit the K-3. Below is the back of the genuine Eyecup FR...

...and now the back of the genuine Eyecup FS...

The thin rubber lip bends around the diopter adjust dial.

The two are pretty dissimilar, though perhaps the FR will fit the K-3. Now considering that the FS is available to order today from B&H and if about $5 USD cheaper than the FR. The JJC equivalent for the FR (http://www.jjc.cc/index.php/Product/product_info/id/4* "Compatible with: PENTAX K5, K5II, K5IIs, K30, K50, K500, K-S1, K-S2, K-7, K-70, KP") is only $6 from eBay; one might be able to carve it to fit. Which makes the most sense?

Steve

* Very nice photos on the JJC site

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-12-2020 at 04:16 PM.
10-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think basically all the modern Pentax eyecups will work on all the modern cameras, but with more or less suitability due to the details. The FR and FS both work on the K-3, but the FR has a gap at the top as noted above. They both work on the K-5, but the FS will cover up the diopter adjustment. The modern eyecups seem to be compatible back to the MZ-S, and they also all work on the older manual film cameras like the Super Program (and probably most other cameras of the era?), but the viewfinder window is slightly different, and you can tell they are not made for that viewfinder, but they work. The K-1 has a slightly different viewfinder which sticks out more compared to the other cameras, so the older eyecups like the FR and FS will work on it, but the K-1's FT eyecup is still workable on the K-5 & K-3, but it is very tight due to more rubber needed to sit flush lightly against the K-1.

Last edited by leekil; 10-12-2020 at 05:29 PM.
10-12-2020, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The modern eyecups seem to be compatible back to the MZ-S, and they also all work on the older manual film cameras like the Super Program (and probably most other cameras of the era?)
They all fit on to the M-series eyepiece frame common to all Pentax SLRs (digital and film) from the M-series cameras to the current day. They differ in the eyepiece contours and the back padding thickness/materials needed for a secure fit for each ocular's specification. The most recent is the FT (K-1), working back through:
  • FS (K-3)
  • FR (K-7 through K-5 and others)
  • FQ (K-m, K-x, and K-r)
  • FP (K10D/K20D)
  • FO (K100D and others)
  • FN (*ist DL)
  • FM (*ist)
  • FL (*istD/DS/DS2, MZ-S)
  • FK (MZ-7, MZ-30)
  • FH (ZX-5 and others)
  • FD (PZ-1/PZ-1P)
  • FA/FB (SF10)
  • F (FSX, FS1)
  • and so on...
Pentax eyecup chronology? - PentaxForums.com and other resources...Google is our friend.

The FO on my K10D did not fit my K-3 (too fat). My Eyecup FS will fit my Super Program as will the Magnifying Eyecup O-ME53, but neither fit well or allow the film door to open when attached. I believe that camera took the Eyecup P. While Eyecup and M and MII are still listed in the current accessory brochure, Ricoh/Pentax indicates they will not fit on some dSLR models. If I needed a replacement for my K-3 today, I would buy the OEM Eyecup FS because I know it will fit and not fall off. (At least it has not in the six years I have been using that model.) If it were not available, I would try the JJC or FR version and modify as needed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-12-2020 at 10:33 PM.