Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #1

Bag Recommendations Needed

Hi all,

I posted this on another forum and thought I'd try here as well.

I need help choosing a new camera bag. Here's my situation, I'll be traveling extensively for work (starting in Shanghai, China on the 19th). I'm a field engineer so I have a ton of suff to carry with me already.

I need to find a bag that will hold 2 laptops (1 for work, 1 personal) plus camera equipment. I have a K110D, 18-55, 70-300, 50mm, 28mm, flash (old Nissin 360), plus cards, filters, etc. I'd also like to leave a little room in case I can pick up a few more lenses during my travels. I'd like it to be carry on size as I'll already have 2 bags to check in.

If anyone can recommend something that might work I would greatly appreciate it.

03-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Slick Quote
Hi all,

I posted this on another forum and thought I'd try here as well.

I need help choosing a new camera bag. Here's my situation, I'll be traveling extensively for work (starting in Shanghai, China on the 19th). I'm a field engineer so I have a ton of suff to carry with me already.

I need to find a bag that will hold 2 laptops (1 for work, 1 personal) plus camera equipment. I have a K110D, 18-55, 70-300, 50mm, 28mm, flash (old Nissin 360), plus cards, filters, etc. I'd also like to leave a little room in case I can pick up a few more lenses during my travels. I'd like it to be carry on size as I'll already have 2 bags to check in.

If anyone can recommend something that might work I would greatly appreciate it.
Try here

Lowepro - Pro Roller 3

&

http://www.lowepro.com/images/downloads/UsersGuide_ProRoller_lores.pdf
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the links. Nice system, it might work. I'll look into it.

Slick
03-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My stupid Lowepro bag had a terrible design, and opened all on its own, smashing up the filter ring of a brand new lens.

I'll hate them forever for it.

Since then, I found and now love my Tamrac. I have the Expedition 5 and I can lug anywhere from 3 to 11 lenses and 1 or 2 bodies around relatively comfortably.

03-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I Suggest a Pelican Bag

Note that neither the Pro Roller 2 or 3 meets carry-on restrictions.

Airline guidelines are 22x14x9 . . .

Also, the roller mechanism takes a good part of bag.

I would suggest the Pelican PCS1552 . . . softsided will accomodate two DSLRs and a laptop . . . here is a link . . . greatly discounted . . . this is where I got mine.
Pelican 1552 Softbag Camera Bag Accessory For 1550 Case PCS1552

If you want a bag with rollers . . . the TamRac 5551 is a good bet . . . here is a link . . . Tamrac 5551 SpeedRoller 1 Black Rolling Camera Case - OneCall.com

The big problem is going to be finding a case that will handle two laptops . . . I have not seen such an animal.

Good luck . . .
03-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions rprii. I've got a bag that carries two laptops with no problem. Targus 15.4" Sport Standard Backpack - Platinum/Black

There just isn't much room left over for camera equipment. I'm going to a local photo and hobby store this weekend to check some bags out. They apparently have a pretty good selection. I do like those bags, though.
03-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Slick Quote
Thanks for the suggestions rprii. I've got a bag that carries two laptops with no problem. Targus 15.4" Sport Standard Backpack - Platinum/Black

There just isn't much room left over for camera equipment. I'm going to a local photo and hobby store this weekend to check some bags out. They apparently have a pretty good selection. I do like those bags, though.
I also have bags that will carry two laptops . . . what I meant was, I have not seen any bags that will hold two laptops, K10D body, lenses, etc.

Be interested if you find anyting.

BTW . . . I really prefer the Pelican . . . light-weight and strong . . . has a flap so you can carry on a roll-on suitbag, etc. The Tamrac is very good but, empty, it weighs almost as much as the Pelican does when full . . . lot of protection but you pay a price . . . I would only say it is a better choice if you think you may have to check your bag (camera) . . . even then, I would try to remove the laptop.

Good luck . . .

03-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
My stupid Lowepro bag had a terrible design, and opened all on its own, smashing up the filter ring of a brand new lens.

I'll hate them forever for it.

Since then, I found and now love my Tamrac. I have the Expedition 5 and I can lug anywhere from 3 to 11 lenses and 1 or 2 bodies around relatively comfortably.
Which model Lowepro did you have?
03-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

While you are looking around

Lowepro CompuDaypack is made for laptop and camera system - but two laptops might be a trial unless you have one of those Sony Vaio models.