Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
HSS and Thinking of Updating My Flashes

I've used the AF 540 and 360 for nearly 15 years with great results. Although I maintain and take care of my equipment, my battery door on the 540 isn't going to last much longer (already missing one of the two plastic latch slots). I'm leaning toward the AF 540 II due to the smaller size and WR, but I believe Pentax removed the F5P sync ports from the mark ii. I often use the two F5P cords with the Hot Shoe F, FG, and Off-Camera F adapters for HSS.

To get around the lack of the sync port I purchased the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II trigger and some Flashpoint R2 Single Pin receivers from Adorama. Does anybody know if the 540 II would work in HSS with this transmitter and receiver? Or would I be smarter to buy Flashpoint/Godox flashes so I can use HSS in manual flash mode so I'm not stuck with PTTL and HSS? WR is nice, but not necessary.

10-15-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to use 540ii and cables, then switched to Cactus. With a trigger on camera, the Cactus flashes work well. They are inexpensive and this makes them more usable, I feel, as I'm less careful with them. HSS too. They are easily controlled from the trigger. To get my 540 working, I fix another trigger (Rx mode) unit on its base. The 540 the works like the Cactus flashes, which have the Rx function built in.

Like you I use my flashes in manual mode. TTL function is available, but I prefer the control and predictability of manual flash.

I'm very happy with them ...
10-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Does anybody know if the 540 II would work in HSS with this transmitter and receiver?
The short answer is that Pentax flashes coordinate HSS through the data contact and the Pentax dSLRs do not provide HSS sync through the center (X-sync) contact. The longer and more complete answer is that your Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II only does fancy stuff when talking to Flashpoint/Godox X system devices that support the same fancy stuff.

Addendum: It appears that HSS is supported on the V850II and TT600 when used with the R2 Pro Mark II. Both are pretty inexpensive and might be worth a discussion with customer service at Adorama.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-15-2020 at 01:05 PM.
10-15-2020, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had two Pentax AF360FGZ flashes, and a Yongnuo YN585EX for Pentax. I sold those, and kept one AF360FGZ in case I need it for a situation. I bought Godox equipment per their power storage capability and performance. I purchased the following Godox equipment: two AD200 flashes, two V1 flashes, one AD600 monolight (600 watt, cordless), and also purchased the Godox XPro-P remote transmitter for them. All of the lights have storage of power that is excellent, and the quality of light is excellent. The V1 flashes can also act as transmitters when on camera. The pricing is reasonable also. A nice starting setup might be something like the XPro-P remote transmitter and two AD200s, or to start a little lighter, possibly two V1 units and an XPro-P remote transmitter. It really depends on the amount of power needed, the type shooting being done, and if the on camera flash is needed. Mixing different type units may also be an option, depending on lighting style/needs.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-16-2020 at 09:18 AM.
10-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. Although I'm familiar with a lot of different lighting equipment I've never used the Cactus triggers and flashes. I've heard good things about them, and I think a lot of people here on the Forums use Cactus. I used to use Einstein strobes, but switched to Alienbees B800s a few years ago.

Steve, that answers my question about the Flashpoint transceiver as it only has a single pin.

I quite like the Yongnuo flashes. I have some cheap Godox flashes (TT520ii) and the Yongnuos are much better. I also like the Godox AD600, as well as the Profoto strobes. I took this a couple months ago in bright sunlight with an AD600, K-1 ii and FA* 80-200:

I was planning on buying the Godox XPro-P, but it was missing a couple things the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II trigger had. It looks like the mark I is identical to the earlier Godox trigger, but from what I understand Godox removed a couple things (TCM being one of them) in their current XPro and Flashpoint didn't want to go without them so they made their own Mark II trigger.

I ended up purchasing a Flashpoint XPLOR 400 Pro R2 and a Flashpoint Zoom-Mini PTTL R2 flash (Godox TT350P) (somewhat comparable to the AF 360). If I like it, I'll add the Flashpoint Zoom R2 (Godox TT600) (I guess I'd compare this one to the AF 540) and the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 PTTL (Godox V1) round flash later. Maybe I'll add a Flashpoint 600 Pro later too.