Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D ~ Markins M10 w/ Feisol 3342

Did my part to help keep the world economy alive by pulling the trigger on a ball-head/tripod set-up.

Many thanks to forum member Eaglerapids and others for the doing much of my legwork. I will spare you from a rehash of the rationale used to make the leap.

On the other-hand, here are some links I found helpful in sorting things out:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/41105-rrs-bh-55...ct-3342-a.html

Markins ball heads (4) - Nikonians Review

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - Tell me the Bad Things about the Feisol Tournament Class

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - Feisol Tournament CT3442 and Markins Q3 ball head

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - Feisol 3342 with Markins M10 - first impressions and quick test

You ask about the bottom line...? The M-10 & Tripod were purchased using Microsoft's Live Search eBay/PayPal discount promotion for US buyers. Since the Markins M-10 needed to come from Korea, I was a bit apprehensive. It was delivered to my door (duty free) in three days (EMS/USPS). Likewise, the Feisol arrived from Oregon in three days (USPS). The camera plate for the Markins (PG-50 purchased retail... Grrr ) took two days (USPS). As expected, all items arrived brand spankin' new and ready to go. Wow-x3!!!

The M-10/Tripod combo weights in at a shade less than 3.5 pounds. So it should be pretty easy to schlep around. As others have reported (per the links, above), everything seems to work smoothly and it stands rock solid. Also, with the legs fully extended, the eye piece of the camera (set-up as shown) sits at a comfortable (no need to stoop) eye level for me. I'm about 6 feet tall.

Anyway, I'll give the set a workout out and will report back, if I discover any material issues.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

Of course, comments and questions are always welcome.

Cheers...

Attached Images

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-09-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: clarification
11-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I decided to bite the bullet and get a replacement for my aging Manfrotto 055. I have a 3341 and their BH-70 ballhead coming.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Markins head.
11-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Michaelina2!! I think you will enjoy that setup which is probably better balanced than mine with the M-10 considering it's at least a half pound lighter than the BH-55 and it's a great choice for you since it's taller than the BH-55 helping to get the camera up to your eye level (you're taller than me). I took my rig out yesterday and I have to say I'm very happy with it. Rock solid and fun to work with. I went out this morning also but it's raining and I basicly just went exploring for new places to shoot.
Will the CT-3342 fold over the M-10? My BH-55 came with a hood (for want of a better term) and what I'm doing is putting the tripod in it's bag and the hood on the ballhead and this protects it in the truck. I'm going to have to look around for a bag that will zip up with the tripod and ballhead attached but for now this will have to do.
11-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wheatfield, do you mean the Feisol CB-70H?
FEISOL Ball Head CB-70H

If so there will be many people interested in what you think of it. Also do you mean the Feisol CT-3371 for your tripod? I don't see a 3341.

11-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations buddy! I am using the M10 with a Manfrotto 055xprob and I'm loving it as well. Did you get the ballhead pouch/cover? I can't recommend it enough! It's made of leather and neoprene and I use it over the head when not in use and during travel. Very high quality stuff.

I don't mind getting my legs all scratched up but I like keeping the head all protected.

I'll try to take photos soon.
11-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Wheatfield, do you mean the Feisol CB-70H?
FEISOL Ball Head CB-70H

If so there will be many people interested in what you think of it. Also do you mean the Feisol CT-3371 for your tripod? I don't see a 3341.
Hi, my name is Mr. StumbleFingers...

What I meant to say was a CT-3371 legs and a CB-70H head. For laughs I also got a center column, though I don't know how much use it will get.
11-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
... what I'm doing is putting the tripod in it's bag and the hood on the ball-head and this protects (it).... I'm going to have to look around for a bag that will zip up with the tripod and ball-head attached but for now this will have to do.
Thanks for the note. I really do appreciate your willingness to share your journey to BH/Tripod success. Now, I don't have any excuses for a shaky shot either, eh?

Unless the Center Column Platform Kit is installed (see follow-up entry, below, with photo), the M-10 interferes with the tripod's reverse leg action. It almost works, but... This issue is discussed in one of the Nikonians threads (above), so I knew it before I made my decision. The smaller Markins Q3 does, but I felt the leg-flip was really a small benefit to lose given the huge advantages offered by the larger M-10 mounted on the Platform Base.

For protection, I have a Giottos bag that zips over the "heads-up" set-up. Also, I doubt anyone would seek out a Giottos to steal. So, I guess I'm covered...

Again, thanks for your help. I look forward to seeing your eagle shots!!

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-15-2008 at 03:14 AM. Reason: clarification
11-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Did you get the ballhead pouch/cover?
The M-10 is really a smooth puppy, eh? Thanks for the recommendation. Gives me something to ask Santa about...

Cheers...
11-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #9

A spare golf driver cover is good to protect tripod heads too.
Not as good as neoprene/leather custom made for the head but good enough.

Wash it first though...they tend to stink.

Cheers
Shang
11-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sychen Quote
A spare golf driver cover is good to protect tripod heads too.
Not as good as neoprene/leather custom made for the head but good enough.

Wash it first though...they tend to stink.

Cheers
Shang
Hahaha true true! What I like about the Markins cover though is that it clips on to the little eyelet on the 055XPROB's, and that's where I put little things like filters and caps. Just a little neat thing.
11-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: M-10+Feisol 3342 w/Center Column Kit

Follow-up for the curious...

Yes, the tripod's legs can be reverse folded over the Markins M-10 head when it's mounted on the long center column supplied in kit form. When folded, as shown, everything fits nicely in the Feisol tripod bag for convenient storage and transportation. As shown, the head-kit-tripod combo tips the scale at 3 lbs 14 oz vs. 3 lbs 8oz for the head-tripod combo w/platform base.

In the field, depending on conditions and your plan for the day, you can easily swap out the column kit base for the platform base.

Finally, I do not detect any compromise in steadiness using the head-kit-tripod combo configuration. It all seems rock solid.

Cheers...
Attached Images