Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Circuit City Monopod.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am desiring a monopod, and happened to see one - at Circuit City - when I picked up my flash unit, earlier today. It was just under $30, with a maximum height of 60". Now, five feet of support might be a little hard for me (6'-5" with a lower back problem), but I wondered if someone might know of a relatively inexpensive unit that might work out for me. I had looked on the net, at one that a member, here, had suggested to another poster - and that one (the name I can't remember, but I think it was something like Giotto) had a max height of 65", with a price tag just under $90.

Is it really necessary to spend that amount - and upwards, in order to have a 'decent' monopod? I am not being cheap...I just wish to know.

03-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take what I say with a grain of salt. I am not a monopod connoisseur!

I have only ever owned one monopod - the one my wife gave me last Christmas. But I think it's just about perfect. It's a Canon Monopod 100. Here's the listing for this product on Amazon.com. It's 64.5 inches tall and seems to work just perfectly for me - I'm 6' 2", and this monopod puts the camera's viewfinder just about perfectly at my eye level. Now you're three inches taller even than I am, but I think you could make up that three inch difference not by stooping (back for the back) but by bending your knees ever so slightly. I do recommend that you get into a camera store and try one out.

I can live with the fact that mine says "Canon" on the side, although I wish it said "Pentax" or "National Geographic" instead. ;-)

Will
03-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I can live with the fact that mine says "Canon" on the side, although I wish it said "Pentax" or "National Geographic" instead. ;-)

Will
Will - get one of the guys at the camera store to give you a Pentax sticker and paste it over the Canon print on your monopod (or you could get a Pentax Forums bumper sticker...)

NLAlston - If you are willing to wait it out, sometimes that Giottos monopod that you mentioned drops to around the $60-70 CDN range at Black's or Henry's even though they never list things like this in the website. You have to time it well and look around.
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

(or you could get a Pentax Forums bumper sticker...)
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Will - get one of the guys at the camera store to give you a Pentax sticker and paste it over the Canon print on your monopod
Heh, good idea. Might do that.

QuoteQuote:
NLAlston - If you are willing to wait it out, sometimes that Giottos monopod that you mentioned drops to around the $60-70 CDN range at Black's or Henry's even though they never list things like this in the website. You have to time it well and look around.
Is it worth the extra money? Stability is really important in a tripod, but a lot of the instability of tripods comes from the fact that it's got, um (counting on fingers...) three legs. If the legs aren't really well constructed, there's a little bit of lateral give in them. I notice this in my inexpensive tripod. But the stress on a tripod is not lateral, it's entirely vertical, and my little $35 tripod seems completely solid. I just picked it up, grabbed it at the top, and tried to pull down. Doesn't give a centimeter.

Speaking as someone who knows virtually nothing about this subject, I'd recommend saving money on the monopod and putting the savings toward a really good tripod at a later date. ;-)

Will

P.S. Like I said, take what I say on this subject with a grain of salt. Actually it's a safe policy to take EVERYTHING I say on any topic with a grain of salt.

03-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys.

I have a tripod, here, that my brother let me use. It is, by no means, a 'great' one (an Ambico model, sold at Walmart), but I have gotten a little use out of it. The more 'simplistic' configuration of a monopod would seem to make for easier operation, without the need of greater real-estate for the three 'footings' on a tripod (a very important consideration in some situations).

Again...I am thankful.
03-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The trouble with the $30 monopods is that they flex quite a bit when you try to brace with them. I recently bought the Bogen/Manfrotto 679B monopod and Slik SBH-120 ballhead from B&H for $78 w/ shipping. The 679B is very sturdy (much more so than the model just under it) and the 120 ballhead is more than sturdy enough for my DS and DA50-200mm. The 679B fits both the 3/8" and 1/4" thread heads (builtin adaptor for the 3/8" the retracts if it isn't needed). Plus, the 120 Ballhead comes with an adapter so it fits the 1/4" mounting screw on my tripod.

I've used it twice and I'm quite pleased.

Tim
03-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

i'm shorter and have 2 monos. a 679b and one of these.
eBay: Professional Monopod - New (item 120093805194 end time Mar-09-07 09:15:00 PST)
it extends to 69'' and with the head and camera hieght might work for you. it's a good stable unit and the price is right.