Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens hoods and caps

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I dont have lens hoods for most of my old manual focus lenses. Generally with inexpensive, generic lens hoods is there a cap that will work or do you take the hood off every time you put the camera away? Obviously because the interior of the hood is a bit narrow, a typical cap would be hard to get in there. I also like the system that modern lenses have where the hood can be put on reversed for storage. Anything like that available for old lenses. Thanks

11-06-2020, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I dont have lens hoods for most of my old manual focus lenses. Generally with inexpensive, generic lens hoods is there a cap that will work or do you take the hood off every time you put the camera away? Obviously because the interior of the hood is a bit narrow, a typical cap would be hard to get in there. I also like the system that modern lenses have where the hood can be put on reversed for storage. Anything like that available for old lenses. Thanks
For several of my manual-focus lenses I leave the hood - usually a metal cylinder - on, and a cap on the hood.

Usually the generic hood won't be reversible.
11-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
1. Do you have to get narrower caps since you are now fitting the cap to the hood, not the lens itself?
2. Can you still get the pinch on style caps into a narrower hood (like for a 50 mm or a short telephoto)?
Thanks
11-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #4

Collapsible rubber lens hoods are available. The pinch type lens caps should work with these. You wouldn't be able to use a press on type cap.

The lens hood that came with my Kiron 80-200mm f/4 zoom is reversible and could be used with the lens cap.

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-07-2020 at 04:20 AM. Reason: typo 00 vs 99, type vs time
11-06-2020, 11:05 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Generally with inexpensive, generic lens hoods is there a cap that will work or do you take the hood off every time you put the camera away?
I keep my hoods separate from my lenses, grouped by thread diameter. The kind I get are internally ribbed and will accept a 58mm cap. I also have a collapsible rubber hood that is pretty much a permanent attachment on my Pentax-M 50/1.7. It is threaded 49mm and accepts the stock pinch cap when retracted.

Heavystar on eBay | Hoods

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-06-2020 at 11:10 PM.
11-07-2020, 12:57 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Often for circular hoods a larger lens cap (center pinch style) will fit on the end of the hood. Also there are several reversible [HS] hoods made by Nikon (for 50mm, 85 mm, and 105 mm) and they may fit.** They are 52mm filter end size, so a step up or down ring may be needed. Pentax hood for SMC-M 85mm is reversible (and there may be others).

_____
** Nikon Lens Hood Specifications - Rick Housh
11-07-2020, 02:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
For several of my manual-focus lenses I leave the hood - usually a metal cylinder - on, and a cap on the hood.<snip>
This also works on Pentax short A/F zooms (28-70, 28-80, 35-70, 35-80 etc). For each of mine (purchased pre-owned) I have fitted a screw-in circular metal hood, first painting the interior with matt black paint (why on earth do mfrs make the interior of lens hoods shiny ??), then putting a pinch-style cap on the hood, which stays permanently on the lens unless I need to fit a CPL - which of course can be rotated by turning the hood ! All clever stuff.

I also wrap gaffer tape around the focus ring, to give would-be felons the notion that the lens is unsaleable.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 11-07-2020 at 02:37 AM. Reason: lockdown
11-07-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. Do you have to get narrower caps since you are now fitting the cap to the hood, not the lens itself?
2. Can you still get the pinch on style caps into a narrower hood (like for a 50 mm or a short telephoto)?
Thanks
For example, with my Tamron Adaptall-2 35-80, the cap size is 62mm, but after I screw in the metal cylindrical hood I put a 67mm pinch cap on the hood. Works great.
11-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Takumar hoods are made to be installed reversed. Just slip the hood on reversed and slip the lens cap on the threaded end of the hood. Felt ring inside the cap and the hood makes a friction fit.
11-07-2020, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the lens cap is not integral to the lens or does no slip on backwards over the lens I tend not to use them at all. Being old, I use the old fashioned method. I wear a hat and use it as a shade for the lens when needed. If the camera is on a tripod this is pretty easy. If not then I one hand the camera and extend the hat with my left hand to shade the front of the lens.

I have a love/hate relationship with the latest Pentax glass. The coating are superb at controlling flare. I love it and hate that property at the same time.

FWIW, in a pullout along the shore of Lewis Lake in Yellowstone National Park is a lens cap from my D FA 28-105 lens.
11-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

personally I like the screw on caps

I have had the pinch off type come off

if you can't find a screw on cap, look for a filter stack

11-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
personally I like the screw on caps

I have had the pinch off type come off

if you can't find a screw on cap, look for a filter stack

Using Filter Stack Caps Tutorial - YouTube
I have a few and they are nice.

Steve
11-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used some third party screw on metal hoods. A pinch cap worked well on the end. For vintsge tele lenses they were a bit short so I've bought original pinch hoods for those. They cost as much as the lenses

Some of those can be reversed and fitted with cap on the end. Some don't like the K 135 3.5
11-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the collapsible rubber hoods. Easy to handle the lens cap.
11-08-2020, 12:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the thoughts on this topic. Lots of good options.