Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 08:50 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will try to restore a 1960's Pentax Type 2 clip on meter

Hello,

This is X-posted from another thread of mine where I restored an H1a camera. This meter was included but I'm working on it separately.
On today's episode of Camera Rescue 911: A Honeywell Pentax H1a - PentaxForums.com

Now that the camera is done, I can concentrate on the meter.

These cameras had no internal meters. The meter was an external clip-on accessory.

So this camera came with the external Type 2 (Type 1 was round) clip on external meter. There is faint circumstantial evidence suggesting this meter has always been with this camera.
As a reminder, this is how I got it.

The meter was dirty and dusty, but most importantly, it is not at zero.

I put a battery and it reacted slightly, so it is alive. Proceeded to clean the battery contacts and it started to react better. But still stuck about halfway on the scale.

I've never worked on these before so I'm learning along the way.
Carefully started taking it apart:

It is amazing how much dust this camera and this meter had inside and out!
Some of the solder joints were corroded and were cleaned.
The galvanometer needle was moving freely. Then I noticed the delicate top needle coil spring was mangled up. Just touched it and it sprung back to shape! Now the needle points to zero!!!
My theory is that this meter may have fallen or got a hard hit causing the delicate spring to mangle up.

Now I'll proceed to clean and put everything back together. I'm studying the inner workings to see if I can come up with a calibration procedure. I already have an idea but will need a bit more thought.

Thanks,

11-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those clip on meters are just so cool looking. Good luck.
11-27-2020, 12:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well done for getting that fixed. Intried to fix an old Agfa Lucimeter a few years ago but it had just got to EoW
11-27-2020, 02:42 AM   #4

The workmanship and cleverness of design of analog devices from this era always impresses me. I don't see anything that looks like an obvious calibration adjustment but perhaps it is located elsewhere.

11-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There is a "zeroing" screw. Will test to see how accurate it is. I found a method online to calibrate it around the same line of thought I had. But it will work only as a hand held meter because it will not match the coupling to the camera. Stay tuned

Thanks,
11-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done, and thank you. I will have to take a look at one I have on my S1A. The camera if functional, after a visit with Eric, but the meter is very non-functioal.
11-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Breaking news!

EUREKA!

News report coming up...

11-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

I found a way to calibrate it by lightly loosing the ASA dial indicator. However, before doing anything, I finished up cleaning (it was really dusty inside and out) and put it back together to baseline it. See how off it was if anything at all.
I suppose these meters were designed mostly to be used with normal lenses like 50mm-55mm. My line of thought is that my K-01 with a 35mm lens and set to center weight metering would be close to the intended use. So I used that as my "calibrated meter".
Pointing both the meter and the K-01 to the same scene looked promising but a bit cumbersome. So I changed the strategy. I went full manual mode on the K-01 and took several shots following only the meter's readings. Thinking about it, I should have shot in jpg, not raw. Anyways, here are the results:

I think it is fairly accurate! If anything, just a hint under, maybe a third of a stop. Remember it is reading full stops so it needs some practice to nail it.
I'm very happy with it! Not only it works, but it also looks much better now.

A final polishing job and...

Welcome back home Mr. Meter! Welcome home!

Thanks,
11-28-2020, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I found a way to calibrate it by lightly loosing the ASA dial indicator. However, before doing anything, I finished up cleaning (it was really dusty inside and out) and put it back together to baseline it. See how off it was if anything at all.
I suppose these meters were designed mostly to be used with normal lenses like 50mm-55mm. My line of thought is that my K-01 with a 35mm lens and set to center weight metering would be close to the intended use. So I used that as my "calibrated meter".
Pointing both the meter and the K-01 to the same scene looked promising but a bit cumbersome. So I changed the strategy. I went full manual mode on the K-01 and took several shots following only the meter's readings. Thinking about it, I should have shot in jpg, not raw. Anyways, here are the results:

I think it is fairly accurate! If anything, just a hint under, maybe a third of a stop. Remember it is reading full stops so it needs some practice to nail it.
I'm very happy with it! Not only it works, but it also looks much better now.

A final polishing job and...

Welcome back home Mr. Meter! Welcome home!

Thanks,
Impressive rescue. There are a lot more gears and mechanical parts than I would have guessed. You are quite skilled to be able to repair things like this. Especially without training. Thanks for posting this adventure.

Thanks,
barondla
11-28-2020, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic! Exposures look good, great to see it has returned to life.
09-24-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I dug into a couple of meters about ten years ago and posted my notes online at Pentax Meter. Maybe they'll be of help to someone.
09-25-2021, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Excellent job ! I checked out the pictures, they look perfectly metered to me. I remember these meters, when the were new and available,

Incidentally I have my original Pentax S1a (they were called the H1a, in the USA as marketed by Honeywell), with it's 55mm F 2 Takumar lens and my hand held Sekonic light meter, which I bought at the same time, same store back in February, 1969.