Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wimberley MH-100 monogimbal

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Wondering if any members here have used or currently using the still quite new Wimberley MH-100 monogimbal, a gimbal head purpose designed by Wimberley to be paired with monopod.

If there are any member/s who have used / currently using this, would like to hear your views on the MH-100.

Thanks in advance!

11-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you think about this video review?

Here's the manufacturers product page:
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley MonoGimbal Head
11-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks angerdan.

did view that video, but also wanted to see if anyone on PF here ever used it or using it, and how their experience with it been.

The other head am looking at is the Flexshooter head.
That one seems very well regarded as well, but costs a whole lot more than the Wimberley Monogimbal.
11-28-2020, 02:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
The other head am looking at is the Flexshooter head.
That one seems very well regarded as well, but costs a whole lot more than the Wimberley Monogimbal.
It seems so.
Review of FlexShooter Pro spring counter-balanced ball head - Guy Edwardes Photography

Why don't use just a traditional two-way head for monopods?
Most cheapest but useful two-way-head is the Andoer VH-10 for 47€.
The Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head offers the best possible option regarding functionality, usability and quality for just 245€ (a very good gimbal head is around 600€).
DA 560mm 5.6 AW - useful accessoires - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 11-28-2020 at 02:22 AM.
12-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't own one but steamloco76 does and he posted a review in the accessories section. It can be found here:

Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal Head reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

You might want to contact him through private messaging.
12-11-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am using my ball head as pseudo-monogimbal. I have been using it on my DA560 reasonably well. No fail/fall so far. With my monopod actually. I can sling it on my shoulder like Steve Perry does with the monogimbal.
You can refer
from 4.00 minute mark to give you an understanding on how I use.
12-12-2020, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t see the point. I have a monfretto 468 ball head with an arca Swiss mount

This ball head has a slot in one side that lets it work In the same manner as the mono gimbal head

12-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal with K3/DFA150-450 on Manfrotto Pod

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Wondering if any members here have used or currently using the still quite new Wimberley MH-100 monogimbal, a gimbal head purpose designed by Wimberley to be paired with monopod.

If there are any member/s who have used / currently using this, would like to hear your views on the MH-100.

Thanks in advance!
I purchased the MH-100 after trying to use a heavy duty Manfrotto ball head with the DFA150-450 & K-3 with grip on my Manfrotto monopod. Other than the price, the Wimberly MH-100 is excellent. Rock solid, smooth adjustments, no slop, wiggles or other issues.

I use the 4 inch lens plate with the 150-450, this allows quick balance adjustments when the center of gravity changes as you zoom. One balanced, the camera/lens combination stays level and can be tilted up and down with a finger. It looks a bit odd having the monopod off to the left with the camera hanging to the side, but it is comfortable and easy to learn. Once the lens is removed, the MH-100 ads only a couple of inches to the retracted monopod, making storage easy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (7th generation)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
12-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a big old manual focus 500mm that I sometimes use on a monopod. Can anyone tell me how this might fare attached to the right side of the lens, with both hands on the camera+lens or does it require one hand on the monopod at all times for stability?
12-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
I have a big old manual focus 500mm that I sometimes use on a monopod. Can anyone tell me how this might fare attached to the right side of the lens, with both hands on the camera+lens or does it require one hand on the monopod at all times for stability?
When I focus manually, holding the lens and camera is more than enough to keep the rig steady. The whole setup becomes second nature when you use it for a while.
12-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think using one hand on the lens to focus, and. One on the camera would be stable enough especially with built in stabilization. The monopod removes one or two degrees of freedom, the most critical is rotational around the long axis of the lens as you press the shutter.
12-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
When I focus manually, holding the lens and camera is more than enough to keep the rig steady. The whole setup becomes second nature when you use it for a while.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would think using one hand on the lens to focus, and. One on the camera would be stable enough especially with built in stabilization. The monopod removes one or two degrees of freedom, the most critical is rotational around the long axis of the lens as you press the shutter.
Great, thanks both of you. I think this will be on my to-buy list!
12-24-2020, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great, thanks both of you. I think this will be on my to-buy list!
I would need to look closely, as I posted above, I have a manfretto 486rc2 ball head, this has a slot to let the head rotate 90 degrees, this, combined with an Acra Swiss mount on the ball head does the same job, and can still function as a regular monopod when needed.

See here for a shot of the head

Cameras & Gear Specs | Côté Caméra - Zone Image

I replaced the standard manfretto quick release with an acra swiss
12-25-2020, 03:48 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would need to look closely, as I posted above, I have a manfretto 486rc2 ball head, this has a slot to let the head rotate 90 degrees, this, combined with an Acra Swiss mount on the ball head does the same job, and can still function as a regular monopod when needed.

See here for a shot of the head

Cameras & Gear Specs | Côté Caméra - Zone Image

I replaced the standard manfretto quick release with an acra swiss
The ball head does not allow unlocked, balanced use like a gimbal. (I have that exact ball head)
Once you balance the camera rig on the axis of a gimbal, the camera and lens will stay in whatever position it was set without your hand holding it. The MH-100 works perfectly in that respect. The bearing in the MH-100 has no issues at all smoothly supporting and allowing the weight of my K-3, D-BG5, AF540FGZ, HD DA 1.4X and DFA150-450. The rotating collar on a heavy lens allows quick switches between vertical and horizontal. The gimbal, nearly effortless, smooth vertical travel. Panning is done by turning the monopod, just like it would be with the pod mounted directly to the lens foot.
12-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very informative.

Will have to take closer look at this monogimbal.

i have a bad habit, of disliking to be bogged down by tripod and gimbal head.
It is not that i do not recognise the "positives" they offer, but that one single negative (of being restricted in movement), is quite a significant negative.

This monogimbal does offer a good deal of flexibility compared to tripod plus gimbal.