Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a reason why Sandisk Extreme III cards are so costly.

They are FAST. I used my Extreme III today and the DNG RAWs were written from shot to card within THREE blinks! It seems like Pentax K10D does support insanely fast cards.

03-08-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, yes it does. I've got a 1GB EIII and it doesn't give up with 3fps full quality JPEG recording.

Thankfully I got mine for half retail since they've just had a big price drop (here, anyway).
03-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I can't think of any other reason than brand name. With doubling prices they can as well double the waranty (10years), but even that won't get your lost imagaes back.
03-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How long is a blink?

I'm not sure how long a 'blink' might be, nor which system of weights and measures it might be from.

What I am sure of is the speed test in Maximum PC, April 2007 in which the Sandisk Ultra IIs beat the Extremes by 1-4 seconds in sustained writing tests(20-50 image files). Actually this isn't saying much except that the camera is the controlling factor.

The Extremes still hold a much wider margin (in seconds) for transferring/writing to the PC, providing you have the latest card reader equipment. Again the equipment is peripheral to the card is key.

So my question is, what Pentax firmware?

03-13-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I'm not sure how long a 'blink' might be, nor which system of weights and measures it might be from.

What I am sure of is the speed test in Maximum PC, April 2007 in which the Sandisk Ultra IIs beat the Extremes by 1-4 seconds in sustained writing tests(20-50 image files). Actually this isn't saying much except that the camera is the controlling factor.

The Extremes still hold a much wider margin (in seconds) for transferring/writing to the PC, providing you have the latest card reader equipment. Again the equipment is peripheral to the card is key.

So my question is, what Pentax firmware?
When i fisrt got my K10D i conducted a comparison between my Ultra II and Extreme III cards.

For the test i'll be shooting till full buffer, and then timing till 15 shots.

The cards i'll be using are:

Sandisk Standard 1gb
Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb
Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb

Sandisk Standard 1gb is the card that i tested first.

Initial burst 10 shots, then 16 sec till 15 shots

Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb is up next

Initial burst 10 then 9 sec till 15 shots

Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb is last

Intial burst 14, 1 sec till 15.

The Extreme III cards are more expensive as they have a lifetime warranty, dedicated Tech support line, Photo Recovery Software, and CaptureOne LE.
03-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Sandisk Extreme III Deal at B&H Photo

I just got the 2gihz Sandisk Extreme III at B&H for 52.95 with a 10.00 rebate from SanDisk. That coupled with a free copy of Capture One LE (value US$/Euro 99.00) and the speed boost it gives my new K10D makes it a super deal in my book.

By the way, Capture One confirmed to me that K10D support will be included in the next LE update due out the end of this month or early next month (April 07). The SanDisk Capture One offer entitles you to one free up date so the timing was great for me.
03-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #7

$52.95 Wow.

Before you said that I was considering the Panasonic 2GB as that's got awesome write speed and a good reputation.
04-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #8

Is it really that fast???

If I see it right, the extrem III has write speed of 20up, a transcent has 22 up and is way cheaper, so why go for the brand?

04-07-2007, 04:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by michael__1973 Quote
If I see it right, the extrem III has write speed of 20up, a transcent has 22 up and is way cheaper, so why go for the brand?
Warranty and customer service is what you would hope to expect from Sandisk. I haven't had a problem with my Transcend *knock on wood* but I'm expecting the service will not be good as Sandisk if I have a problem.
04-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by michael__1973 Quote
The difference is sustained speed vs burst speed. I stumbled apon a thread at DPR some time ago where there was a comparison done between most of the "High speed" SD cards, the Extreme III was constantly the fastest and beat cards that were rated higher then it, ie the Transcend 150x card. Anecdotal evidence also showed that users that compared the Extreme IIIs to the 150x card were not able to achieve the same level of continuous shooting with the 150x card.

Finally with the Extreme IIIs you get a copy of Rescue Pro, recovery software, which is brilliant, and a copy of Capture One LE as well as a dedicated tech support line. In my book that makes the "Brand" option far more attractive.
04-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmdctusa Quote
I just got the 2gihz Sandisk Extreme III at B&H for 52.95 with a 10.00 rebate from SanDisk. That coupled with a free copy of Capture One LE (value US$/Euro 99.00) and the speed boost it gives my new K10D makes it a super deal in my book.

By the way, Capture One confirmed to me that K10D support will be included in the next LE update due out the end of this month or early next month (April 07). The SanDisk Capture One offer entitles you to one free up date so the timing was great for me.
Man, I sure wish that 'I' had caught that. I could use another card, and that free copy of Capture One LE would have sat right pretty with me. 'just took a look around their site (B&H) and could find nothing associated with that (not that I really expected it to yet be offered - but I would have surely jumped on it, if it had been). Dang it.
04-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
Forum Member

Nathan,

As of today, 7 April, the SanDisk Exteme III is still on the B & H website.

Here's the link:

Sandisk 2GB Extreme III Secure Digital (SD) Card

For some reason if you just select SanDisk, SD-media, and all in the dropdowns boxes, it does not come up. If you select all brands, all types and 2-3Gb, it come up in that selection result list.

It is still showing at US$52.95 but I am not sure if the US$10 rebate and the Capture One LE offer still apply....you could call B & H or check out the SanDisk website to confirm.

My experience with the card confirms Cideway's information re speed of the Extreme III.
04-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks again, David.
04-11-2007, 02:14 AM   #14
db2

splitting hairs

I think some of you guys should slow up a bit
04-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dmdctusa Quote
Nathan,

As of today, 7 April, the SanDisk Exteme III is still on the B & H website.

Here's the link:

Sandisk 2GB Extreme III Secure Digital (SD) Card

For some reason if you just select SanDisk, SD-media, and all in the dropdowns boxes, it does not come up. If you select all brands, all types and 2-3Gb, it come up in that selection result list.

It is still showing at US$52.95 but I am not sure if the US$10 rebate and the Capture One LE offer still apply....you could call B & H or check out the SanDisk website to confirm.

My experience with the card confirms Cideway's information re speed of the Extreme III.
Maybe we're very lucky here in the UK (for a change!), we can source genuine 2GB Extreme III SD cards from Mymemory for 17.99 (approx $35)

SD Card | Secure Digital | SD Memory Card | 4GB SD Card

Sooo fast with the K10D!

Last edited by Richard Day; 04-11-2007 at 04:39 AM.