Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

Stereo adapter on digital

Hi all folks,
I've recently acquired a Pentax Stereo Adapter in 49mm size to try on my digital.
In the manual there's written to use it with the 50mm or the 55mm.
I would like to know if someone ever used any and, most important, if she/he used it on a digital camera.
I own a Fuji so there's a 1,5 crop factor. I've tried the Super Takumar 50 but the angle of view is too narrow.
I was thinking to get a 24mm (it'd be a 36mm) or a 28mm (42mm) but I don't know if I might have some dark zone because of the adapter.
Thank you for any hint.

12-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Le0 Quote
I own a Fuji so there's a 1,5 crop factor. I've tried the Super Takumar 50 but the angle of view is too narrow.
Try a 35mm or 28mm focal length. It does not need to be a Pentax-brand lens.

Steve
12-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Le0

Original Poster
Thank you Steve.
Yes, I know it doesn't need to be a Pentax lens. I'm actually checking a couple M42 ones.
I'll probably look for a 28mm
12-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a cheap version, same design. The stereo splitter has a base distance similar to you inter pupillary distance and a 50mm has a normal viewing angle. So you get decent stereo for objects up to 3m away. More wide angle will reduce the stere effect and may start Vignetten. More tele will cause in difficult viewing angle...
Have fun, stereo is cool. You can test other stereo base and distance settings you by taking two images with overlap.

12-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Steve.
Yes, I know it doesn't need to be a Pentax lens. I'm actually checking a couple M42 ones.
I'll probably look for a 28mm
Le0,

On my K3 a 28mm lens seems to give the best results.

I've attached an image I just shot so you can see the effect.

I've never found it very useful myself, as you are restricted to a narrow portrait mode.

Using dual cameras, the 'cha-cha' method, or even using a depth map on a single image in PS, seem to work better.

For processing you might want to take a look at StereoPhoto Maker, which is free and works well.

Have fun,

Fred.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by fwwidall; 12-04-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
12-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another tip if you're going to play around with 3D is to look into Stereo Photomaker which is a software utility for handling 3D shots. It works with all kinds of 3D shots - those taken with a 3D camera, those taken with adapters, and those taken with a single lens camera using two offset shots. It takes a bit of playing around to learn but it's pretty intuitive. The nice thing is that it will format and output your work to an SD card (or other media) so it can be viewed on a 3D capable display (the files are a variation on jpeg but with both eye views in a single file- .mpo files). The site in itself is interesting and has some 3D examples.

StereoPhoto Maker (English)
12-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
Le0

Original Poster
Thanks mates.
I know the other stereo stuff, I own a View Master and others. Having Linux, I should use an emulation and so on, so I prefer to just shoot my camera.
One thing. The adapter is for 49mm and 52mm filter threads. My version is 49mm. Is it possible to use it on a 52mm thread lens with the step up ring? Or could it be an issue about the size? (vignetting)

12-05-2020, 07:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’ve done OK with step rings.

I’ve had decent luck with 28mm and 35mm lenses on a K-01

On a K1, the 50mm does work better, and the increased resolution helps.

I also noticed that trimmed 5*7 inch prints are about the right size for those old stereo viewers from 100 years ago...

-Eric
12-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I know it doesn't need to be a Pentax lens.
Sorry! One never knows for sure on an advice request.

Steve
12-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
Le0

Original Poster
No need to sorry, mate. I've just pointed out that I knew that.
I'm even more inclined to find a nice lens rather than the type of mount. There is basically every conversion available.
08-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I recently bought a stereo adapter for my Pentax SV. Ideally it should be used with transparency (slide) film and viewed with the proprietary viewer. The photo effect is quite good. Its taken me about 4 rolls of film to get the framing, focusing and light settings correct, but now I think I am on my way to the stereo world of photography.

In all fairness, my Kodak Stereo camera takes far better pictures and has a larger field of vision...but this Pentax adapter is pretty cool and attracts plenty of conversation wherever you might be taking photos...What is that thing??