Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #1

How to carry the camera around

Hi,

As a new owner of a K200D(moved in from smaller ultra zoom cameras) I have a question to you all,
How do you carry the camera during a field trip or a hike?

I am used to go out with my small kids (which requires my hands to be free to help them around) and until now I used a belt pouch for a quick draw and shoot.

This is a little more complex with the larger DSLR.

All thoughts and Ideas are welcome.
Thank, Alon.

11-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are a couple solutions for you:

1-Carry the camera around your neck where it belings :P (many veterans love to say that... not that I'm a veteran)

2-get a sturdy monopod that you can use as a walking stick, and place the camera there

3-Get a sling bag (sort of backpack with only one strap). Probably the best solution in this case

4-get a holster-type belt pouch. It's going to be pretty large, though.

5-Get a messenger-type bag (that's what I use most of the time, but it's not the best solution for hikes)

6-Get a small shoulder bag that accomodates only your K20D (that's what I do when the messenger bag is too large for the hike).

I hope this helps!
11-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Another thought...get a beltpack big enough to accomodate your DSLR + lens, plus 1-2 more lenses. I've got a beltpack on my Christmas wish list and having used one before, it's a great solution because your hands are free and the weight of the camera sits on your hips, as opposed to your neck or shoulder. Here are a couple of popular beltpack options:

Lowepro - Inverse 100 AW
(check out lowepro.com, as they got a pretty decent selection of beltpacks besides this one)

Tenba - Shootout: Waistpack

HTH,
Heather
11-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree with heather on this one.

if you are with children, you will need to bend down, or reach down with one hand frequently.

while around your neck might seem good, when you bend down, you will hit the child on the head with the camera. OOPS

shoulder bags sound good, but they put the load off center on your body, and after a while you get very sore. Additionally they will slip off if you drop one shoulder (holding a child's hand for example)

Backpacks spread the load over your body, usually put the load where it belongs, your hips (if they are good bags) and stay relitively in place. While perhaps inconvenient for access, they are probably the best for comfort. Also, you can use the back pack for carrying otherthings too. Drinks can be as heavy as lenses, and don't forget a small first aid kit. Kids do get scratched and scraped due to falls when hiking.

While I don't have much experience with them, Sling bags also could work, because by nature they do distribute the load over a broad area, and may be better for access than a back pack

11-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Another thought...get a beltpack big enough to accomodate your DSLR + lens, plus 1-2 more lenses. I've got a beltpack on my Christmas wish list and having used one before, it's a great solution because your hands are free and the weight of the camera sits on your hips, as opposed to your neck or shoulder. Here are a couple of popular beltpack options:

Lowepro - Inverse 100 AW
(check out lowepro.com, as they got a pretty decent selection of beltpacks besides this one)

Tenba - Shootout: Waistpack

HTH,
Heather
Hey Heather (or anyone else),
Have you tried out the Tenba waistpack? I've been contemplating it but seeing mixed reports on how much room it really has. None of the local shops carry it so I can't inspect in person.

Thanks!
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
MGV

I carry my camera over neck and shoulder with camera at my side using a homemade version of an Y-strap (Y Strap The Figital Revolution). Camera slides up the strap through a large spit ring to shoot. Another similar strap is R-Strap from BlackRapids (BlackRapid: Innovations)
11-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just what sets apart the "Y - Strap" from a luggage strap from the dollar store and $3 for an adequate ring from the hardware store?
Now I have to put my money where my post is and see if I can make one using my flipant suggestions.

11-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #8

Less is more for me. I take a camera with me everywhere. Being prepared for anything at all times is not a good plan for me as the bits and pieces just complicate everything and slow me down. I use a (twenty dollar) Lowepro Topload Zoom Mini bag for my camera and the lens I am in the mood to use that day. The accessory pouch has an extra SD card and lens cleaning cloth in it. That's all; I have to make things work with just that. Takes only a moment to unzip and get the camera out. I just took some great pictures of a visiting puppy 'cause I had the camera ready.
11-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Just what sets apart the "Y - Strap" from a luggage strap from the dollar store and $3 for an adequate ring from the hardware store?
Now I have to put my money where my post is and see if I can make one using my flipant suggestions.
Ummmm...nothing...

tee, hee...

Steve

(That was my thought when I was first exposed to the product)