Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Improved tripod foot for 300mm f2.8 with iShoot collar?

I just got an iShoot tripod collar for the Sigma 300mm f2.8. The lens foot is pretty small and does not really allow me to carry the lens by the foot but it is replaceable. I was wondering if anyone knows of any better feet that I could get for this collar. It uses 2 screws to attach the foot to the collar base. I was thinking about something like what's used on Sigma's 150-600 C or Canon's 400mm F4.

This is what the iShoot looks like:

12-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look for a lens plate with similar holes. Something like this?

Desmond DPL-100 Long Lens Quick Release Plate (100mm) DPL-100
12-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are a lot of replacement foots available, but probably none made for your collar, you are probably going to need to adapt something, or if you have any friends with machining capability, have one made.
12-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the lens and was able to get a larger foot set up from B&H that was further from lens so easier to hold. Maybe you can find on ebay? I also added
Induro PU-120 Extra-Long Slide-In Quick Release Plate PU120 B&H.

12-17-2020, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I managed to get the Sigma TS-41 collar years ago, it's a much better fit on the 300/2.8 ( I think it should have been standard on it personally ) I then have lens plate attached to it to mount on the gimbal.
They are rare as hens teeth these days, but I actually see one instock at an Aussie store.

Buy Sigma TS-41 Tripod Collar and shop at CameraPro Australia.

You may be able to find a long lens replacement foot that has the drop down curve in it, but most of those use 4 screw mount, maybe only using two screws will be enough, but the added strain of the extra length would be a concern.

The only viable option may be as mentioned above, get some one to make a spacer block and use some very high tensile longer bolts to mount it.

Last edited by cmohr; 12-17-2020 at 02:49 PM. Reason: missed link
12-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a former mechanical design engineer, I'd like to throw in a word of caution. The two screws that hold the foot to the collar should be designed to withstand the stress of the collar trying to rock back and forth with the weight of the lens and camera pressing down. I don't know anything about this brand, but I have seen imported items that were very poorly designed/under-engineered. If you plan to carry the lens (with camera attached?) by the tripod foot (not what it was designed for), I would somehow make sure that these two screws are up to the task. Some screws are brass, which is not nearly as strong as steel, and has different fatigue characteristics. If it were me, I wouldn't feel confident carrying the rig by the tripod foot unless the screws were steel and at least #8-32 or larger. Check the screws with a magnet; if they don't stick they may be brass. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but like I said, I've seen some real junk not designed up to basic American and European standards. I'd hate for you to be standing there holding your tripod foot and watching your camera and lens tumble over a cliff.
12-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Yeah, I managed to get the Sigma TS-41 collar years ago, it's a much better fit on the 300/2.8 ( I think it should have been standard on it personally ) I then have lens plate attached to it to mount on the gimbal.
They are rare as hens teeth these days, but I actually see one instock at an Aussie store.

Buy Sigma TS-41 Tripod Collar and shop at CameraPro Australia.

You may be able to find a long lens replacement foot that has the drop down curve in it, but most of those use 4 screw mount, maybe only using two screws will be enough, but the added strain of the extra length would be a concern.

The only viable option may be as mentioned above, get some one to make a spacer block and use some very high tensile longer bolts to mount it.
Thanks, I'll look into the TS-41. I actually saw a picture of a 300/2.8 on google with the TS-41 but I thought it was the same collar as the one on the 50-500mm.

12-22-2020, 12:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I looked into the TS-41 and I can't afford it. So instead of deciding to go on my merry way and be satisfied with what I have, I decided to design my own and this is what I came up with. I'll also look into getting better screws regardless of the ones I have. The two outcroppings on the back with the holes in them are meant for strap attachments. I'm still a bit... well... very iffy on them so I'll be inquiring about this to the place I'm getting a quote from.

12-30-2020, 02:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I've been in contact with a number of machine shops nearby and unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, they all quote prices of between $250 to upwards of $500 to CNC this one piece. One shop has actually offered to ask around at some camera shops to see if there's any interest in selling it to bring the price down. That would be great but unfortunately it's a pretty niche product.
12-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I don't know anything about this brand, but I have seen imported items that were very poorly designed/under-engineered.
My thoughts as well. You can add poor material choices to your list. I have had my fill of pot-metal collars with non-sleeved cinch bolt holes.

Steve
12-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have had my fill of pot-metal collars with non-sleeved cinch bolt holes.
This zinc alloy is OK for some applications, but certainly not for dynamic stresses related to expensive gear. And I thought it might be too nerdy to recommend grade 5 steel screws as opposed to grade 2. Some imported steel fasteners are dead soft and fairly weak. I could ramble on about material choices, but I won't. This is a photography forum.