Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2021, 05:03 AM   #76

Raynox manufactures excellent close-up lenses. I own one DCR-250 and owned one DCR-5320PRO kit. The latter is huge and difficult to use, I reselled it.

There are 2 kinds of close-up lenses: simple (one element) lenses and achromats (2 or 3 achromatic or apochromatic elements).
I strongly advise you NOT to buy a simple close-up. Your second link looks like a simple element kit, do not buy it!

If you buy a cheap simple close-up, you will always get CA in your images.

If you buy an achromat close-up lens (e.g. Raynox DCR-150 or DCR-250), you will love it.
I own several close-up lenses, all are achromats and I find them useful when I need extra magnification.

You will find a very useful list of achromats here: Index

Last edited by tryphon4; 01-03-2021 at 09:29 AM.
01-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #77

Original Poster
To be honest the moth detail photoes are what i am aiming to attempt in the future, but i like ALL of the images here and certainly see myself doing something a little less complex while i learn the ropes. I will go through the video and other advice tomorrow and will probably have a couple more questions, I hope thats ok?

Thank you everyone so far for your advice and contributions
01-04-2021, 05:32 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rococo Quote
To be honest the moth detail photoes are what i am aiming to attempt in the future, but i like ALL of the images here and certainly see myself doing something a little less complex while i learn the ropes. I will go through the video and other advice tomorrow and will probably have a couple more questions, I hope thats ok?

Thank you everyone so far for your advice and contributions
Questions are always good. Just beware that the volume of answers might be like trying to drink from a fire hose!
01-06-2021, 10:20 PM   #79
Pentaxian

I know Pepperberry Farm doesn't like to advertise in the Forums, but here's a link to some inexpensive manual macro lenses he has for sale:

K-Mount Manual Focus Macros for Sale!!! 55/90/100mm - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I don't have any intere st in this sale myself, and I have no personal experience with these lenses. There are links to albumstaken with them,soyou can see samples for yourself. The prices seem very reasonable, less thanI paid for a number of my lenses.

01-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #80

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
I know Pepperberry Farm doesn't like to advertise in the Forums, but here's a link to some inexpensive manual macro lenses he has for sale:

K-Mount Manual Focus Macros for Sale!!! 55/90/100mm - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I don't have any intere st in this sale myself, and I have no personal experience with these lenses. There are links to albumstaken with them,soyou can see samples for yourself. The prices seem very reasonable, less thanI paid for a number of my lenses.
Thanks for the tip Thagomizer!
01-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Raynox DCR-250 (3-lens design, 49mm front diameter), but in conjunction with the DA 55-300 PLM, I prefer a fitting achromat. It doesn't protrude and thus allows to use the hood and it stows better - the DCR's come in a bulky box. I mainly use the DCR-250 with a step-down ring in front of 49mm front thread lenses such as the DFA100WR or Pentax-M 135/3.5 or recently on a funny rig in conjunction with a projector lens for 3:1 magnification, with excellent results. Quality per price, they're excellent - especially used. For the zoom, I looked around for a while until I found 58mm Marumi DHG 330 (3 dpt.) Achromat at about half of the usual retail price. But any achromat in good shape will do. Canon and Minolta ones are offered rather frequently in 58mm. See HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Show us what it can do, what it CAN'T! - Page 49 - PentaxForums.com for an example, the bee is quite a bit smaller than a honey bee, this bumblebee however is a bit bigger

If you go with any of these, they will not be obsolete even if you buy a macro lens later. Despite owning a stable of macro lenses, I use both occasionally.