Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #1

SDHC card issues

i saw something like this in an earlier thread but cant find it now

.. I have a generic 8GB card that was formatted in my DL all of the images look good in the cameras viewfinder, but when transferred in via the laptop card reader quite a few of the images are corrupted. i havent tried using the camera as a transfer device (gotta find the cable).

what was the issue?? the card or the reader .

11-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote

.. I have a generic 8GB card that was formatted in my DL all of the images look good in the cameras viewfinder, but when transferred in via the laptop card reader quite a few of the images are corrupted. i havent tried using the camera as a transfer device (gotta find the cable).

I had a problem with corrupted files due to a defective data card. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/39550-corrupted-files.html
11-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #3

I had also

Similar problem here, I had write issues on SDHC Kingston 4G (many problems on forums from this producer).

Tried to format, reformat, create different file-system (ext 3, ext 2 under linux) on it, having read/write issues in all types, ... then played with other format software under windows, having still problems (including when using the camera as transfer device to laptop).

My solution: I trashed it after a week. I have new (different make) 8G SDHC and no problem.

Always have with you backup SD(s) and check from time to time, if all files are correctly written at least on the camera if you do not have a laptop with you ( or any other "in the field" backup device).
11-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote

Are all the drivers in your laptop updated? This is sometimes the culprit.

11-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Luckily I haven't had any problems in SD or SDHC cards in the past 3 years.

I make it a point to get genuine cards, fake cards are rampant nowadays and it's really hard to tell the difference. I get my cards from Adorama.

Haven't had problems with their Sandisk 8GB cards for the past 6 months now.
11-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

SD vs. SDHC

Are you sure that the reader in your laptop supports SDHC cards? There are many that don't.

There is a difference between SD and SDHC cards. SD cards can only go to 2GB capacity. Above that, they are SDHC cards. Don't assume that, because your laptop has an SD reader, that it can read SDHC cards. Check your laptop's instruction manual, the manufacturer's website or give them a call.

If you don't see the four letters SDHC somewhere in all that, chances are it can only do SD cards.

Get an inexpensive memory card reader that connects to a USB port. If that works, then chances are that the builtin reader is SD-only.

Paul Noble
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #7

Test

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Are you sure that the reader in your laptop supports SDHC cards? There are many that don't.

There is a difference between SD and SDHC cards. SD cards can only go to 2GB capacity. Above that, they are SDHC cards. Don't assume that, because your laptop has an SD reader, that it can read SDHC cards. Check your laptop's instruction manual, the manufacturer's website or give them a call.

If you don't see the four letters SDHC somewhere in all that, chances are it can only do SD cards.

Get an inexpensive memory card reader that connects to a USB port. If that works, then chances are that the builtin reader is SD-only.

Paul Noble

In any case, you can try to use the camera as card reader / mass storage device. See if you have any read/write errors during the copy.

If you see any error, it means that maybe you should consider a new card.

Your camera is a very good SD and SDHC reader (depends also of the version of the USB interface of your laptop, version 2 should be best since 1.1 is slow).

Before doing anything else, try to copy those files using your camera plugged in your laptop.

Some basics about USB speed, in case you need:
USB 2.0, Hi Speed USB FAQ

And some about K10/20D USB speed:
" ... Like most D-SLRs, the K10D supports the USB 2.0 High Speed standard. ..."
DCRP Review: Pentax K10D

Good luck.

11-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #8

I've been using Kingston SCHC cards for almost 2 years professionly and have never, never had an issue. From my POV, I'd recommend them to anyone, but that's just my two cents.
11-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #9

So far I've 2 generic SDHC cards die on me, and both were aquired from Ekkbay.
Since I'm doing more professional work now, I've been using brand name card, and no problem so far.
I just think that the price difference between the generic vs brand name is too small for the reliability risk.
11-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ebay is swamped with fake cards, I wouldn't buy there.
11-15-2008, 01:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Does the DL support SDHC cards?

Actually there is an update for the DL to use SDHC cards.