Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photos look like a pretty hard hit on the foot. You could look at using the mounting foot screws to hold eyelets for a strap.

The flaw in the foot seems to be related to the ability to have a quick release, I don’t trust something like that in general

12-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I have a Sigma 50-500, which is a similar size to your 150-450.

The lens comes with a strap that attaches where the lens foot and ring meet. I put the lens strap plus my K-1 camera body strap around my neck. Yes, 2 straps. I have adjusted the lens strap so it holds most of the weight. The camera strap is taught but does not bear much weight. This arrangement reduces strain on the camera mount and provides redundancy in case the lens strap breaks or comes loose.

The lens rests pointing downwards. The front of the lens is at belt height when at the short end of zoom, high enough to not strike delicate body parts while walking. The left side of the camera (with the K-1's USB and HDMI ports) rests against the center of my chest. This arrangement keeps the camera handgrip in a good spot for my right hand to grab, and the lens foot ends up sideways so it doesn't jab my ribs.

I prefer walking with both straps around my neck, rather than 1 or both straps on a shoulder. When I use a shoulder with such a long lens the weight ends up being offset and less comfortable for walking. If I'll be standing in one place for a long time, though, I will rearrange straps to use my shoulder and give my neck a rest.

If I'm hiking quickly on rough ground, I usually move the lens into my backpack. I don't want a simple slip forwards to turn into a smashed camera, lens, and ribs.
12-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
In the mean time, i ordered a was thinking of the BlackRapid Double Breathe SLIM Camera Strap ( BlackRapid Double Breathe SLIM Camera Strap, Trusted Design - BLACKRAPID )

It connects to a rather large bolt that you can screw in the tripod foot of the lens. When i use the camera with this lens, i let the tripod foot rest on my left hand. With this bolt at the tripod foot, it is hardly possible anymore. So that wasn't a workable solution.

I finally ordered a Spider Lens collar plate ( Spider Camera Holster SpiderPro Lens Collar Plate 305 B&H Photo )
and 2 Spider D-rings ( [url]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/762521-REG/SPIDER_HOLSTER_730_D_Ring_for_Wrist_Strap.html{/url?]

According to the manual, the pin in the lens collar could be removed by the included Hex Wrench. Unfortunately that was absolutely impossible. I had to drill the screw out before i could remove the pin.

I removed some edges of the lens collar so the D-rings can move freely and mounted the D-rings with some M5 screws and bolts. I want to use Stainless Steel Allen scews and locking bolts, but due to Corona the hardware stores are closed over here at the moment, so for the time being i use two bolts screwed to each other as lock.

Worked with this configuration today, and it really works like a charm. The regular strap to my camera and the BlackRapid to the lensfoot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 
12-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Lot of great ideas here so far, thank you all.

My concerns started when i received my first 150-450 lens from Ricoh. It came with a broken lens foot. The foot itself is cast aluminum. And that is by default rather brittle.
Yes, there have been a few cases of this reported. A recent thread detailed a DIY fix.

You can see at the pictures of the broken lens foot that it is just a small flange that hold the lens foot in place and it really is designed to stand on it, and not hanging on it.
I've had no issues so far with either the DFA* 70-200 or DFA 150-450 hanging from the Peak Design Slide. They've had plenty of hiking use. One reason I prefer the Peak Design to my Black Rapid strap for this usage is that only one end of the PD attaches to the foot, with the other attaching to the camera. If the foot did break with lens and camera hanging, I would have a fraction of a second to grab the strap as it slipped across my chest before camera and lens hit the ground. With the Black Rapid you would have no chance.

However, I think the foot is strong but brittle, so it would break under heavy impact rather than under constant stress hanging from my shoulder. Anyway, I can't think of a very practical fail-safe mechanism.

I finally ordered a Spider Lens collar plate ...
I don't see how this helps. It is still attached to the tripod foot, and if that fails the whole thing falls, la Black Rapid.

12-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, there have been a few cases of this reported. A recent thread detailed a DIY fix.

I don't see how this helps. It is still attached to the tripod foot, and if that fails the whole thing falls, la Black Rapid.
I agree, i wouldn't dare to hang the total weight just on the tripod foot. But i use the strap of the camera around my neck AND the harness at the tripod foot. So that is my fail-safe, and it reduces the weight (and so the possible stress) of both. I use both straps of the harness at the tripod foot so it hangs straight in front of me and is easy to handle, even when shooting birds right above you.

This configuration makes it easy to walk for hours with the 3.7 kilo. It don't course any pain in my neck anymore.

Last edited by Sakura; 01-01-2021 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo
12-31-2020, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few years ago I needed a secure means of carrying a K5+DA300 and 70-200 in the field for a coupl'a of days. Don't have pix but you can envision the solution using an arm sling purchased at a convenient Wally-world for less than $10. Augmented the camera strap.

Sometimes a camera and lens was in the sling, sometimes a second lens in the sling. Good relief from the weight and convenient. Didn't interfere with a back pack. Just don't try to include an arm with the gear.
Attached Images

01-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another member mentioned OpTech straps. They also have an accessory especially for heavy lenses, here.

Lens Loops? - System Connectors - OP/TECH USA - YouTube

01-01-2021, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks, very interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Another member mentioned OpTech straps. They also have an accessory especially for heavy lenses, here.

01-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

Looks good and solid, but is not usable for the F DA 150-450, there is no room for it at the lens as you can see.. The only place would be the place of the collar, but then you should remove the collar what of course isn't a good solution.

01-01-2021, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

but becoming rather heavy when walking for a hour or more
Time to engage your local friendly Sherpa for such activities.
01-01-2021, 10:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Time to engage your local friendly Sherpa for such activities.
Many years ago, when my wife and I were engaged, not yet married, she carried my Leitz Tiltall tripod ( a heavy beast) and my Pentax ES ll body with rather heavy Bushnell 90-230 mm lens.

Without complaint, I must add.

Next time we went out we were married (it was a short engagement), and she said if I decide to take heavy camera equipment on a trek, then it is my responsibility to carry it, not hers.

She added that she was my wife, not my pack mule...or something along these lines. What she said exactly, is lost in the mists of time.
01-02-2021, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What she said exactly, is lost in the mists of time
It's probably best that way...

I used to have assistance too... but they started to baulk at some of the loads.