Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
S-Type screen from Focusing Screen -- confusion -- help needed.

Hello all.

I have this focusing screen, S-Type, which was meant to be installed on a K7. (from Focusing Screen.com)
It is still "brand new"/unopened and I need to know:

Will it fit a K5, K5II, K5IIs as well?

Hard to find a proper place to find this here in spite of many threads and posts relating to that.

Thanks in advance, folks!

12-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes...it will fit all flagship APS-C from the K-7 forward and consumer models from the K-30 forward.

Steve
12-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I converted my K-7 to infrared, I moved my KatzEye focussing screen over to my K-5 II. Unfortunately they closed down before I had a chance to send that camera to them for calibration.
12-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
When I converted my K-7 to infrared, I moved my KatzEye focussing screen over to my K-5 II. Unfortunately they closed down before I had a chance to send that camera to them for calibration.
You can probably move the shims from the K-7 directly over to the K-5II, assuming you still have the shims.

Steve

12-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch to all of you !
Much appreciated!
12-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks to all for the replies! I was needing this info too. Much appreciated.
12-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You can probably move the shims from the K-7 directly over to the K-5II, assuming you still have the shims.
Thanks, Steve, for the suggestion. The focus now on the K-5 II is close but not perfect with the KatzEye split image focussing screen. Indoors with the K-5 II I tend to use the autofocus; and outdoors, with the smaller apertures and more depth of field, it may not matter much. I have never changed the shims, only the screens, on my cameras; and that makes me nervous enough as it is of causing damage through a misstep. But I will give your suggestion some thought.

Added: All my focussing now on the K-7 is done in live view, so the calibration of its focussing screen is unimportant.

12-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Thanks, Steve, for the suggestion. The focus now on the K-5 II is close but not perfect with the KatzEye split image focussing screen. Indoors with the K-5 II I tend to use the autofocus; and outdoors, with the smaller apertures and more depth of field, it may not matter much. I have never changed the shims, only the screens, on my cameras; and that makes me nervous enough as it is of causing damage through a misstep. But I will give your suggestion some thought.

Added: All my focussing now on the K-7 is done in live view, so the calibration of its focussing screen is unimportant.
If you are getting good results with the K7, using the live view method, why not do the same with the K5 II ?
12-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
f you are getting good results with the K7, using the live view method, why not do the same with the K5 II ?
Because it requires this type of attachment to enable easy use of the camera outdoors in bright light:

Hoodman Live View Kit for all DSLR Cameras - HLVKIT

That's an added cost, extra bulk, and no advantage to it over the optical viewfinder. Also slower to use. It's good for infrared because the focus points of a lens differ from visual light.
12-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes it will fit.