Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
KP Settings for time Bulb exposure with JJC TM-PK1?

Hey folks-

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out how to set the KP and TM-PK1 up to use the remote for timed Bulb exposures.

I must be missing a step or a setting, have been through the various manuals and JJC instructions, but it still doesn't seem to work. The remote works find as a normal shutter release. Setting the KP in some combination of Bulb/Manual/Single seems to be the catch. I've even tried with Astro.

I just want to set a single exposure for any duration using the remote.

Thanks for any ideas.

Happy Holidays.

12-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did your JJC TM-PK1 come with instructions? I tried to find the manual online, but came up empty. On most similar devices you have the ability to set delay, duration, interval, and count. For a single 2' exposure the setting would be:

TM-PK1
  • Self - 00:00:00 (starts now)
  • Bulb - 00:02:00 (holds shutter button for 2')
  • INTV - 00:00:00 (none, we are only doing this once)
  • No - 1

KP Camera
  • Mode : "B" (untimed)
  • AF : OFF
  • Slow Shutter Speed NR : OFF*
I hope this is applicable and helps.

Steve

* If the slow speed NR is left on, the camera will be unresponsive for at least 2' additional after the exposure is finished to allow for creation of a dark frame to be subtracted from the image.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-23-2020 at 11:48 PM.
12-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I tried to find the manual online
Hi Steve, not sure if this is of any use as it covers the JJC TM-Series in general and not the PK1 specifically.
JJC TM-SERIES INSTRUCTION MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

Simon
12-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
Hi Steve, not sure if this is of any use as it covers the JJC TM-Series in general and not the PK1 specifically.

Simon
Thanks! The instructions are as I expected and outlined above. With any luck this will be enough to get @Biff going.

Steve

12-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! The instructions are as I expected and outlined above. With any luck this will be enough to get @Biff going.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote

Simon
Thank you both. I did have those JJC online instructions, and they're the same as what came with the JJC. I think they may be written to apply to several brands, or at least I didn't find them real useful in this instance. I could just set the KP to Bulb or Astro and use the shutter dial for the desired time, and use the JJC as a basic shutter release. Probably will be what I do unless I figure something else out. Might be enough anyway.

Thanks again for your replies. I've recently been focusing more on learning the KP, and adding accessories before I'm far along on the camera's basic features may not be a good idea, but what the hey.

Happy Holidays.
12-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I think they may be written to apply to several brands, or at least I didn't find them real useful in this instance.
Did you read my instructions? I think I forgot one thing. The button to start the exposure is not the big button on the remote. Rather it is the smaller "Start/Stop" button to upper right of the 4-way controller. Push that button and the shutter should open and remain open for the time set under "Bulb". If you need to abort the exposure, press the same button again to stop.

P.S. ASTROPHOTO mode is probably not applicable for bulb use with an intervalometer.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-24-2020 at 10:12 AM.
12-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you read my instructions? I think I forgot one thing. The button to start the exposure is not the big button on the remote. Rather it is the smaller "Start/Stop" button to upper right of the 4-way controller. Push that button and the shutter should open and remain open for the time set under "Bulb". If you need to abort the exposure, press the same button again to stop.

P.S. ASTROPHOTO mode is probably not applicable for bulb use with an intervalometer.

Steve
Thanks, that's the button I was using. It seems to default to the time set in the camera for Bulb, currently set at 10", which is the lowest I can figure to get it. Haven't figured how to set Bulb to Untimed.

12-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It seems to default to the time set in the camera for Bulb, currently set at 10", which is the lowest I can figure to get it.
That makes sense, given that the only actions that happen through the cable are to emulate shutter half-press and full-press.

Haven't figured how to set Bulb to Untimed.
It took some digging, but I found it. Just press the green button to return to untimed Bulb.

Steve
12-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That makes sense, given that the only actions that happen through the cable are to emulate shutter half-press and full-press.

It took some digging, but I found it. Just press the green button to return to untimed Bulb.

Steve

Thank you. The magic Green Button, of course. That worked.

I think I have the settings all dialed in now, but the small button on right still triggers the mirror up OK, but the mirror doesn't go down after the time runs out, I need to press the button a second time. I'm using 6 seconds, maybe a longer time is needed, but that doesn't make sense.
12-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you. The magic Green Button, of course. That worked.

I think I have the settings all dialed in now, but the small button on right still triggers the mirror up OK, but the mirror doesn't go down after the time runs out, I need to press the button a second time. I'm using 6 seconds, maybe a longer time is needed, but that doesn't make sense.
How is B mode configured? It sounds like you are in "T" (Type 2) mode.

C1 --> 7. B Mode Options -->

Steve
12-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How is B mode configured? It sounds like you are in "T" (Type 2) mode.

C1 --> 7. B Mode Options -->

Steve
Fabulous, that was it! Thanks so much!

Ironically it was in 2 earlier, then I tried 1 during one of the iterations, but it didn't work because something else was off.

Now off to the manual to learn the difference between Bulb 1 and Bulb 2.

Happy Holidays.
12-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Now off to the manual to learn the difference between Bulb 1 and Bulb 2.
The manual is not helpful. The difference is easier to understand if you have a film camera that supports both modes, "B" (bulb) and "T" (time). With bulb, the shutter stays open as long as you hold it open. With "T", the shutter opens with a shutter press and stays open until you do something else; usually this is a second shutter press. Bulb type 1 is traditional bulb. Bulb type 2 is "T" where a second press closes the shutter. "T" has its advantages, as you might guess. There is no need for a locking remote.

My camera is usually set to type 2, mostly because I have an IR remote that works better with that behavior. Most wired intervalometers assume type 1.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-18-2021 at 01:08 PM.
01-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #13

Download the operating instructions from http://www.jjc.cc/Download/product/E911038423256944/556d4485af0a8.pdf
Cyril