Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the idea of these lens switchers, in principle. In practice, I prefer to use a Peak Design Capture Clip to hold the camera, and a good bag. If I need to switch lenses often, I'll use a messenger bag. If hiking, a rotation180 bag from Mindshift Gear. Both offer a kind of shelf.

I'd be worried that the Trilens could get heavy depending on what's attached to it. Still, for someone who needs to swap frequently and doesn't want to use two bodies, it's a nice option, I'm glad it exists.

01-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
TriLens: does anybody use it?
Not I, I just don't wanna go there...

The potential massive fallout within the Harem... for one of the three places.
01-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #18
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Not I, I just don't wanna go there...

The potential massive fallout within the Harem... for one of the three places.
The " HM The Queen " would not like having to bow her head to the ground either ..... no ,no , no !
01-07-2021, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The " HM The Queen " would not like having to bow her head to the ground either ..... no ,no , no !
Absolutely...

02-16-2024, 09:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, since a couple of years I've been watching this gadget and today I found it has a 50% discount for the Pentax mount (from $169 to $84.50) - cheaper than the peak design and without adapters -, so I bit the bullet. I will let you know how it works for me. I normally shoot with zooms and primes, mostly macros and architecture.
03-10-2024, 02:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fri98 Quote
Well, since a couple of years I've been watching this gadget and today I found it has a 50% discount for the Pentax mount (from $169 to $84.50) - cheaper than the peak design and without adapters -, so I bit the bullet. I will let you know how it works for me. I normally shoot with zooms and primes, mostly macros and architecture.
I will be very interested to hear your report.
03-10-2024, 07:05 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one or two additional lenses I might carry together take up less space than this contraption with no lenses attached.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-21-2024 at 05:38 PM.
03-10-2024, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

The thread will not be complete without this picture
Attached Images

03-10-2024, 03:32 PM   #24
Pentaxian

With my notorious clumsiness, plus the way that inanimate objects conspire to impede me, bump in to me, trip me up and push me around, I suspect this would cost me a fortune in lenses ! I prefer to have them in padded compartments in my bag, wishing to maybe lose shots rather than damage or destroy lenses. I have always envied the less-clumsy amongst us.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 03-11-2024 at 12:31 PM.
03-10-2024, 03:45 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I prefer to have them in padded compartments in my bag, wishing to maybe lose shots rather than damage or destroy lenses.
Same here. I bought a Nikon version of Peak Design tool, thinking of changing the mount to Pentax, but when I actually hold the thing in my hands -- I realized it will not end well.
03-10-2024, 05:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a trilens, its called a zoom.
If you need to change that frequently its what you should be using. With just two I cover 24-320mm though the 80-320 could use a better replacement to match the speed and quality of the 24-70 F2.8

Having one zoom on the camera and a second in an individual belt mounted hard case that actually keeps it safe would make much more sense, but I just use a small camera backpack at the moment since I usually don't need constant flip flopping.
You could technically have a bongo set of primes on your belt in individual top opening cases so having three out in the open constantly exposed to dirt and hard objects sounds rather stupid. I can't Imagine keeping all the lens caps and hoods with them that way as well.
03-11-2024, 06:18 PM - 4 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, last week I used the trilens with my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8, the Sigma 85mm f/1.4, and my Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8 for taking shots at a sporting event at my kid's school and let me tell you that it worked perfectly to me. I really enjoyed and found it very practical to use. Not a single issue with it and I can tell you it is very comfortable to use. I left my backpack with my wife, asked for permission to get on the field and take some shots, and I did have a lot of fun. interchanging lenses constantly, working with the 24-70 when de action was really near to where I was standing, changing to the 70-200mm when the action was on the other side of the field, and the 85mm to get some face reactions of the players. all without having to carry my lenses on the backpack (and the backpack on my shoulders) and having to take of and on the backpack every single time.

I was really surprised with how well the weight balanced on my belt, even when the 70-200mm was on the trilens. I did take my precautions by running some jumping tests the day before over my bed to see if the lenses would move or disengage from the trilens mount, and nope, they stayed very well mounted, not even a slight movement that would make me think my lens would fall.

Tomorrow I have another sporting event at the school, just this time is for my little one, and this time I know they (the school´s teachers) won't allow me the VIP permit as the kids (3-5 yo's) get easily distracted, so tomorrow I will have to shot from the Gym's steps with the 70-200mm all the time, so no trilens to play with.

All in all, I just have used it twice and I can tell you I'm happy with it. Would I've paid its full price now that I've trayed? Must probably yes, especially when just a week before I received the trilnes on the mail, I had a family reunion where I did struggle changing lenses (between the Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 and the Sigma 85mm f/1.4) because my flash broke when it fall to the ground when I has packaging my camera, so those where my only fast lenses for the night and I had to change lenses constantly and going back to my bag every time was a burden for the night, something I would totally avoid if I would have the trilens already. Now at half its rice, without doubt, I can really recommend it.
03-11-2024, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the first-hand review. Your comments seem consistent with other reviews I have read.
03-13-2024, 07:17 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will admit I am a bit intrigued by this. It seems like a decent to carry around just a few lenses without needing to lug a bag around. With the FA Limiteds I would probably not leave the caps on them since they just push on. It seems it would work best if all the lenses attached are of similar weight or is not an issue really? Most likely I would use it with two lenses always attached and one mount open for a lens change.
03-14-2024, 04:49 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I will admit I am a bit intrigued by this. It seems like a decent to carry around just a few lenses without needing to lug a bag around. With the FA Limiteds I would probably not leave the caps on them since they just push on. It seems it would work best if all the lenses attached are of similar weight or is not an issue really? Most likely I would use it with two lenses always attached and one mount open for a lens change.
It's not an issue the size of the lenses because it rotates freely, so gravity takes charge to balance the heavier lens to the bottom vertical position.