Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
TriLens: does anybody use it?

The TriLens was launched nearly four years ago. It is a belt-mounted rotating lens holder for three lenses, and is now available for K-mount. The similar two-lens Peak Design Lens Kit is still not available for Pentax.

The TriLens seems to be aimed at wedding and event photographers. I'm not sure I'd be wanting to risk it on a bush walk through difficult terrain. When it was first flagged on PF by Fl_Gulfer in 2017, the reaction was overwhelmingly negative, and it was even predicted they'd be out of business in six months. Well, they're still going strong it seems.

The Think Tank Modular Belt System seems a more secure option to me, affording protection to the lenses, not suspending them from their mounts and distributing the weight better around the waist. But the TriLens is rather compact and may be very workable for small and medium primes at an event if using only one camera.

So I'm wondering if anyone has actually used the TriLens. I can see advantages and disadvantages in theory, but practice may be different.

01-03-2021, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't Canon photogs have a use for the supplied lens hood...
I know its an add for the lens holder
01-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well they seem to be very 'there.' Thanks for posting this, ain't cheap though. Still, I've been envious of the other lens changer system that doesn't have a K mount version. I can see the three amigos on this thing...

TriLens – Complete set – FriiDesigns
01-03-2021, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The way they are advertising it, with photographers using hoods reversed on the lenses and a lens under their armpit, is ridiculous. The magnetic stick-on clips for your lenscaps to "protect" the mounts (talk about weather/dust-sealing...NONE), makes this product one I cannot imagine photographers would really use, pro or amateur. To me it seems just one of the many products created to solve non-existent problems. A gadget which will end up at the bottom of the drawer.

01-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will pass...

Steve
01-03-2021, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If only I could add a fourth lens... LOL!!!
01-03-2021, 05:54 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see this as a good way to ruin lenses.

01-03-2021, 08:34 PM - 2 Likes   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I see this as a good way to ruin lenses.
Only if you use your armpit instead
01-03-2021, 09:15 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you spin it, can you win a prize?
01-04-2021, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's one of those things that looks like a great idea but the reality of using it doesn't live up to the promo video. As newmikey says it looks like "just one of the many products created to solve non-existent problems. A gadget which will end up at the bottom of the drawer"
01-04-2021, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

It has the added benefit that if you had an accident and got some sand or water in an empty slot you can trash the other two lenses at the same time. Think I will stick with my bag.
01-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This makes me nervous just looking at it. For an event, I'd rather use a high quality zoom than this contraption. Yeah, zooms aren't as desirable as good primes. But I'd feel a lot safer using one than this thing.
01-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

This honestly looks like a solution looking for a real problem. Even though I don't have one, I prefer Lowepro's solution with their elegantly simple ProTactic Lens Exhange.
01-05-2021, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Very clever. I wish them well. As for me, I am old school and I'm used to having my lenses in a bag.
01-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A more informed review suggests it is not as silly as it looks.

I won't be buying it, but if I did I think I would use the supplied protection caps rather than using the lens caps with magnets. And only for smaller lenses.

By the way, the three docks are separated; dust cannot get from one to another.