Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I have a few tripods. You have to decided what the minimum height you'd accept would be, and not count much or any center-column into that for a fairly lightweight tripod. I can't speak to carbon-fiber as I don't have a tripod made with that, but with aluminum, my smallest tripod is what I use for travel or longer walks. It's a discontinued model but has 4 leg sections and it's a little over 5ft without the center column. It is possible to use the center column for relatively short lenses with modest magnification (the center column is more a problem for a heavy longer zoom or macro.) For shorter walks I have the Slik 700 with 3 leg sections mentioned above and recommend it very much, but not so much for what you want (probably too large/heavy.) There is just a huge difference between 3 and 4 leg sections in terms of folded length. Incidentally a moveable lcd could be very handy if you have a short-ish tripod to prevent you from having too bend over constantly to look through the viewfinder (assuming if light conditions permitted use of the lcd.

01-08-2021, 06:27 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
There is just a huge difference between 3 and 4 leg sections in terms of folded length.
Do you notice any stability differences between your 3 and 4 segmented tripods? I've heard that additional leg segments can reduce stability due to the thinner legs at the bottom.
01-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Do you notice any stability differences between your 3 and 4 segmented tripods? I've heard that additional leg segments can reduce stability due to the thinner legs at the bottom.
Absolutely the fewer the better, and yes I have more stability issues with the 4 sections. I've specifically experienced issues with my K-5 and 60-250. My 4-section tripod and head is rated at only 15lbs capacity. Usually it's okay without any center column (the column is usually okay with shorter/lighter lenses.) The problem is that without 4 sections you either have insufficient height or a tripod that will be awkward to handle (in terms of things like luggage dimensions, or in the pre-Covid era carrying it on tours where you are always jammed in with other people.) I used to carry the Slik 700 for those travel applications, and it's certainly possible, but for me those few (folded) inches make quite a difference in terms of the probability of breaking something when walking around a shop or poking someone getting on/off a bus, etc.) You are already kind of the "ugly tourist" walking around any decent-sized tripod, and the bigger it is the more you stand out. I'm not the most sensitive to that (again pre-Covid, I was usually the only person wherever I went on a tour etc. with any tripod) but it's a consideration to me. The 4-section is also narrower so it's just a more compact package. Only about 1lb less in weight, though. I usually carry the tripod in my hand everywhere, because having it stick out from my backpack seems to be more dangerous to others (especially when putting the backpack on and off.) Also to carry all your usual stuff (water, food, computer, etc.) in your backpack plus the weight of a 5lb-ish tripod, at least I need a waist belt to distributed the weight. And that's a little problematic given I already have a camera waistpack. It's the extra tripod weight that makes shoulder-straps-only insufficient for me.
01-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K&F Concept SA234 Aluminum DSLR Tripod with Ball Head for $50 deal of the day https://www.adorama.com/kfc09080.html?