Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2021, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have four tripods... plus light stands. I don't have time to take pictures of all of them, but some at least.

The first is a Dolica aluminum tripod which I never use. It does have a nice Vanguard ballhead, luckily. I've used it for some years with decent success, but it never felt reliable.

The second is a Sirui T-025X. It's a superb travel tripod. I've used it for almost everything for some years. Hooked to my belt, slipped into a backpack's water bottle pocket, I brought it almost everywhere. Until...

The third is the Peak Design Travel Tripod. I got it this spring, and it fully replaced the Sirui (I wonder if I should sell the Sirui). It's a bit heavier, but more stable and so much more pleasant to use. The most ergonomic tripod I've seen. It's my go-to tripod now.

The fourth is an Oben CT-2491 big size tripod with a gimbal head. I use it with heavy lenses, when I want super stability, and when I'm not hiking or moving far away from the house of car. It's light for its size, but still heavy (the gimbal is as heavy as the rest of the tripod).

Pic of the second and fourth:

Pic of the gimbal:

Pic of the third:

01-08-2021, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get my tripods when the go on sale. Mostly Vanguard and I am pretty happy with them. No reason for Vanguard other than the price and the reviews on them are good.

My current stable of tripods:

The beast. A Vanguard Auctus Plus 323C Carbon Fiber with a Nest carbon fiber gimbal head installed on on it. Got it on closeout form B&H for 50% off or something like that.

A Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT carbon fiber with a Vanguard PH32 pan and tilt head installed on it. Another B&H sale at 50% off. Came with a Vanguard SBH50 ball head.

A Vanguard ABEO Pro 323AT aluminum tripod with a Vanguard SBH 100 ball head installed on it.

For a travel tripod a Fotopro Go Max with a FPH62Q ball head. Works fine too.

I also have one of those little Moman table top tripods with the matching ball head. Little beast of a tripod. Built like a tank. I use it a lot down on the ground photography. They are still available through Amazon.

In 2017 three Pentaxians met up at Yellowstone for a day of shooting. Possibly the largest concentration of Pentax cameras at Yellowstone in the last 50 years. There are three Pentax cameras in this photo and the shot was made with my trusty little Pentax MX-1 camera by an very nice lady. From left to right, WTLWDWGN (K3), yours truly (K1), my #2 son (big honking binoculars) and last but not least DWALT (K3).

My tripod is the Vanguad Auctus and not fully extended. Not sure what the other tripods are.

01-08-2021, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
During this past year the cost of building materials has just about doubled. It would be an interesting question to see how expensive this design is currently. Lol.
Even at $100 for materials if one has the ability to make it and need for such a large tripod it would still be a pretty good deal. That got me kind of curious what a 3058 tripod with 3057 head goes for used and Adorama has one just like mine except way more beat up for $450, I guess I have to count mine at $100 as another stole it deal I found. Big old tripods are expensive.
01-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Even at $100 for materials if one has the ability to make it and need for such a large tripod it would still be a pretty good deal. That got me kind of curious what a 3058 tripod with 3057 head goes for used and Adorama has one just like mine except way more beat up for $450, I guess I have to count mine at $100 as another stole it deal I found. Big old tripods are expensive.
Nice steal indeed!

01-09-2021, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #20

I use a Davis and Sanford Vista Voyager and a JOBY for mounting on tree limbs or bridge railings while hiking. I would like to upgrade to a more stable tripod and head, but with care I can get what I want with what I've got! I'll keep using these until something wears out, then go from there. I am usually hiking and on the move, so I don't use a tripod as much as I should. I can certainly tell a difference in sharpness when I use one, but I can't very well tell a bear to wait while I set it up!!
01-09-2021, 12:19 PM - 8 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

KISS Principle...When All Else Fails

Not very portable, and a bit heavy...but was solid enough for shooting Jupiter with moons and Saturn several weeks ago. Just making due with what was laying around after not being satisfied with tripod stability the night before .
Attached Images

01-09-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Not very portable, and a bit heavy...but was solid enough for shooting Jupiter with moons and Saturn several weeks ago. Just making due with what was laying around after not being satisfied with tripod stability the night before
I like your innovation. Sounds like it did the job.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-09-2021 at 12:55 PM.
01-09-2021, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Jupiter, moons & Saturn

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I like your innovation. Sounds like it did the job.

- Craig
LOL...thanks Craig!
Not all that great, but here's what I was able to get from that evening. Of course, composite to get the moons to show along with Jupiter and Saturn.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
01-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #24

Not very portable, and a bit heavy...but was solid enough for shooting Jupiter with moons and Saturn several weeks ago. Just making due with what was laying around after not being satisfied with tripod stability the night before .
Awesome idea! Do what you can with what you've got!
01-09-2021, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite is the Bogen-Manfrotto 475B, take it anywhere I go providing that I am driving.
The Gitzo 3542L`s are cute and light weight and bring one along for the ride as a backup, still prefer the 475B.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-11-2021, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think weight wise you have my big wooden one beat but probably not by much.
01-11-2021, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #27

Photos: Albums
I use this tripod: amazon.com : Neewer Carbon Fiber 66 inches/168 centimeters Camera Tripod Monopod with 360 Degree Ball Head, 1/4 inch Quick Shoe Plate, Bag for DSLR Camera, Video Camcorder, Load up to 26.5 pounds/12 kilograms : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
and this gimbal head: amazon.com : Neewer Professional Heavy Duty Metal 360 Degree Panoramic Gimbal Tripod Head with Arca-Swiss Standard 1/4&?tag=pentaxforums-20'' Quick Release Plate and Bubble Level for Digital SLR Cameras up to 30lbs/13.6 kg : Camera & Photo
There are several discussions online about how to improve the pivots on those cheap gimbal heads. Read 'em all and make your choices based on your skills and tools. I stripped mine down and re-greased it with better grease, and polished some surfaces.

I mostly use them when shooting with my Sigma 170-500. I will sometimes use the removable "monopod" leg with the ball head when I'm not toting the Bigma.
01-13-2021, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Below are my Giottos 9360 and Slik Pro 330 DX-B. The Giottos sees duty most of the time, whereas the Slik is for when light weight and relative compactness are needed. Both tripods have their last leg segments stowed and the Slik is fitted with its short column.
Dos Amigos

The Giottos has an articulation mechanism for the center column that allows for a wide range of positioning options including straight down between the legs. That feature adds weight, but has come in handy at times when I needed the camera to be close in to a rock wall (or similar) and I had few choices for positioning the feet. I have also used it for low angle work. The Slik is quite rigid for its weight and at the time of purchase was the value queen for lower-end tripods.

Atop the Giottos is a newly acquired Acratech GXP ballhead (LINK) while the Slik has a Manfrotto 494 with non-QR camera platform. I chose that version of the 494 specifically for use with smaller and older film cameras where appropriate QR plates are often hard to find. For convenience, it is fitted with a Desmond DAC-X1 QR clamp to provide the best of both worlds.

I have used the Giottos for pretty much everything including shooting with my 4x5 field camera. For that task, I have a second center column topped by a more appropriate Bogen 3028 Super 3-D head (LINK). A 3-way pan head came with the Slik and it has seen use for cases where I needed those legs and a head capable of positions beyond that of the Manfrotto mini-ballhead. The Slik handles the K-3 with most of my lenses, but requires attention to balance if used with my 70-210 manual focus zooms or the hefty Dine 105/2.8 Macro. The Giottos with either of the two heads is good for anything on my shelf, though If I were ever to buy a birding lens, I would probably get a gimbal head.

For a full discussion of the hunt for the Slik 330 DX Magic Tripod, see the following two articles I did for Hin's blog several years ago...

https://www.techtheman.com/2010/11/magic-tripod.html

https://www.techtheman.com/2010/12/magic-tripod-part-ii.html

P.S. Under the rubber feet on the Giottos are a set of replaceable spikes. The Slik has no such option.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-13-2021 at 11:39 AM.
01-26-2021, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

One use that has not been mentioned is personal safety ! When birding in an area criss-crossed with streams, sometimes one has to share a footpath (clearly marked) with a somewhat aggressive Mute Swan cob. I find that holding the tripod by the centre column, legs part extended in the direction of the swan, dissuades it from testing the relative powers of its wing and my thigh ! And, of course, should one be approached and threatened by a felon or footpad, bringing the tripod head up smartly underneath one's assailant's chin will effectively make his eyeballs rattle.
01-26-2021, 03:15 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tripods by -vanya_42nd-

I think thatís most of them.