Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2021, 03:17 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
should one be approached and threatened by a felon or footpad, bringing the tripod head up smartly underneath one's assailant's chin will effectively make his eyeballs rattle.
Especially so... if you utilise the spiked feet options that are available for many tripods.

01-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 tripods, and 2 monopods. The biggest is a very old (circa 1975) vivitar professional tripod, the middle is a no name tripod, and the smallest is a 6-12 inch mini pod, if I need to set a body and short lens down to do a selfi. The largest monopod is a spare leg from the vivitar tripod. The smaller monopod is a “blacks” camcorder monopod bought because it was all I could get in a pinch in 1992.

Except the monopod, which has the original 1/4-20 screw in head, the other two tripods and both monopods have had a mix of heads over time.

Initially the vivitar came with a pan and tilt head but this changed multiple times before settling on a jobo jr gimbal for my long lenses. The gimbal is fitted with a acra Swiss quick release. The big monopod, with a vivitar tripod leg, has a monfretto ball head and acra Swiss quick release.

The middle no name tripod which is aluminum tube with threaded collar leg locks has been retrofitted with a monfretto ball head, and currently a monfretto quick release plate ( but I am thinking of changing to an acra Swiss quick release. ). The small travel monopod has a threaded 1/4-20 ball head, again I am thinking of changing this out to quick release.

Basically I only use tripods when I need them. I got the gimbal for my tamron 200-500/5.6 which is impossible to use hand held. Although I have the correct adaptor plates for my DA560 to balance perfectly on the gimbal, I prefer to shoot the 560 hand held

The smaller tripods are for travel uses mostly, and the biggest thing I would ever mount would be a sigma 70-200/2.8 plus 2x

I also have the monfretto long lens support, depicted by others here also. This is useful, not so much for support, but to eliminate vibration by making the link between the camera and tripod rigid forming a triangle between lens mount, camera screw mount point and the too pod legs

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 03-17-2021 at 04:07 AM.
02-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When my Giottos MTL8351B broke, I decided to buy a Novoflex Triopod. Novoflex delivers a "Lego toolbox for tripods". Not a single thing out of the box.

For hiking tours I'm able to put together the following parts. Two walking sticks Novoflex QLEG III (foldable Komperdell sticks with 1/4" head), one leg QLEG C2253 (a little bit too short but no problem with the ball head), tripod base BasicPod (52g!, instead of hinges 6 x 1/4" threads), ballhead BALL30 ( 220g, no friction control, but very strong; also very good for monopod usage) and a Panorama Head Q48. Together these parts are sufficient for many use cases. For near earth I can simply add some stable short legs of 20cm that can be screwed into the BasicPod side threads.

Not cheep but flexible, very lightweight, very well built and more stable than anyone would think. But it takes a little bit time to build up the whole thing. Nothing for quick action.

Nearly every year I buy a part (GAS ?) and can combine it with what I already have. All this started with a wonderful heavy and precise Novoflex macro rail many years ago. Initially I used it with the Giottos tripod mentioned above. Today I can build up a tripod of around 2,50m height and if I'd like to use a monopod to lean against a wall or tree I can get up to around 3 meters, I guess. Great variation of perspectives possible. I like Lego!

Last edited by acoufap; 02-04-2021 at 01:01 PM.
02-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Lego toolbox for tripods
Aargh, I feel a GAS attack coming on!

Very clever kit.

02-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't do tripods, it's like, effort and intent and these days I'm very much a casual photographer

I used to use manfrottos back in my studio days, big, heavy, ugly and functional. I owned a slik of my own for many years, origami functionality but strangely fragile and heavy and cumbersome and then thought feck it and sold it and bought a benbo travel tripod which, travelling, has delivered several memorable images, so a Benbo travel tripod and i doubt it will be added to, I prefer not to wrestle with the damn things. Oh nearly forgot, a little Manfrotto MP3, which is seriously superb. Landscape only though.
03-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cool, informative thread, thanks for starting. I'll get my few together and post a photot.

Don't see a whole lot of monopod love.
03-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I've got 5 tripods and 5 monopods, but I'm hoping to do some weeding out before long. My main tripod since the mid-1980s has been a Gitzo 320 Performance. At the time I bought it, I wanted something that would go from ground-level to eye-level with no center column extension...while handling anything I'd care to throw at it...long lenses, medium format, video camera, etc... It's served me very well and has the scars to show for it. At one point, I bought a Bogen 3001 just to have something that was a little lighter for times when I'd be doing a lot of walking. Then I picked up a cheap off-brand carbon fiber tripod that was essentially given to me. I've used it off and on, again for those times when carrying my Gitzo wasn't all that practical. I bought a tiny Gitzo for use in shooting wildflowers because, while my big Gitzo could get down almost as low, the leg spread would sometimes crush surrounding flowers. Those 4 were what I used until just recently when I bit the bullet and bought myself a decent carbon fiber tripod to replace my old Gitzo 320. It's a Leofoto LS-324c. I haven't had much of a chance to use it just yet, but I think this will probably be the last tripod I buy. It's very sturdy and goes to almost eye-level without any center column extension. In fact, it doesn't even have a center column! I have no good excuse for having 5 monopods. Actually, I do have reasons for 2 of them. One is a Manfrotto 3016 that I got for use when I didn't feel like carrying a tripod...and the other is a Sirui monopod with feet that I use for shooting video. The other 3 monopods are just odds and ends that I've picked up at estate sales and garage sales when I saw them going for too cheap.