Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,142
Another vote for OpTech.

Well made and resonably priced. I didn't think I would care for a cross strap until i used one. I use a cross strap (with quick release attach points) that can be converted to a neck strap. I attach it at the upper RH mount and lower mount plate on my KP and that lets my FA* 300 hang straight down to my right when hiking/walking. I have a third quick release on a carabiner that I attach to my front beltloop and to the LH mount if the camera is bouncing around too much while walking.

If I am using my primes or I am not going for a long walk, I use the wrist strap.

01-10-2021, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,003
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Domke Gripper...same material and design as the straps on their bags.


Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 742-1BK


Steve
I bought two of them. One is the 1.0 inch with swivels and the other is the 1.5 inch version with swivels. Once you attach the parts with the swivels on the camera you can instantly swap the wider strap (for heaver lenses) with the narrower lighter strap when lightweight with smaller lenses such as the limiteds is desired.
01-11-2021, 04:10 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,061
I'm personally partial to a belt system; using a sling while hiking I've always ended up with a stiff neck and it's a hassle to wear it under a backpack.
I don't have lenses that are *that* heavy, so I can't personally vouch for weight over 4-4.5lbs, but at those loads a 20km hike with this (CP Tech B-Grip Evo Belt Grip For Cameras: Amazon.de: Camera & Photo) is not an issue.
01-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 224
Original Poster
Lots of good comments

01-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #20
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,613
Op/Tech is fine, but several years ago I switched to Peak design, and couldn't be happier:

Peak Design Slide Strap and Capture Clip System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Need recommendations on a heavy strap/sling capable of handling up to 10lbs. Not a big fan of the cross body/should sling, but that may be my only option.
What are you carrying, I use optech on the DA560 +K1. Combined it is about 5 kilos 11 pounds for the metric impaired. I adjust the length to be cross body I.e. ove neck and shoulder, with the lens at my hip.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Optech/USA ... I have three of them, especially one for my K3 + Da*300/4 + grip .

Tough, reliable.

I also have the "harness" (also from Optech/USA). That one sure would fit the bill!!

OP/TECH USA | Comfortable neoprene camera straps and slings | OP/TECH USA

Find a Strap | OP/TECH USA
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I too have chosen the Optech USA strap system - utility strap

I also use the Joby UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate with the strap

I can place my hand into the grip to control any swing of the camera equipment and help with the weight

I also vary how I carry the camera and lens, cross body, or held in the crook of my off elbow or balanced carefully on my shoulder
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
+1 for the Optech (USA)


I regularly use this one with my K=3 and all my lenses, incl. FA*300 f4 and the heavier (infamous) VL125mm f1:

OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I have used mine for more than 4.5 years without a single issue. I found this one very confortable and suit my needs.

I hope that the advice may help.
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Optech or Peak Design. Quality is similar, Optech seems to be more versatile system in terms of various scenarios it can be used in. Peak Design also builds its system, but they are slightly behind Optech. I use both systems, Peak Design for 'generic' K-1 configuration, and Optech for Mamiya RB and K-1 with Sigma 150-500.
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Optech, Black Rapid, Peak Design ... all great gear.
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Another vote for OpTech.

Well made and resonably priced. I didn't think I would care for a cross strap until i used one. I use a cross strap (with quick release attach points) that can be converted to a neck strap. I attach it at the upper RH mount and lower mount plate on my KP and that lets my FA* 300 hang straight down to my right when hiking/walking. I have a third quick release on a carabiner that I attach to my front beltloop and to the LH mount if the camera is bouncing around too much while walking.

If I am using my primes or I am not going for a long walk, I use the wrist strap.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Op/Tech is fine, but several years ago I switched to Peak design, and couldn't be happier:

Peak Design Slide Strap and Capture Clip System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
To all the optech users, after 30 years myself, all I can say is I agree with you
01-15-2021, 07:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,613
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
To all the optech users, after 30 years myself, all I can say is I agree with you
Seems like I'm not alone in this

OpTech straps, with their stretchy neoprene, are very comfortable. The sliding element on their sling strap is nice. The buckles are simply too large, and it's not versatile in the places you can attach the clips.

01-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,917
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Seems like I'm not alone in this

OpTech straps, with their stretchy neoprene, are very comfortable. The sliding element on their sling strap is nice. The buckles are simply too large, and it's not versatile in the places you can attach the clips.
The only issue I see, is that the attachment clips are designed to only attach to intended manufacturers strap loops. I have the attachments on all my bodies, (5 DSLRs, 3 film bodies) plus the DA560, and my binoculars it is useful to be able to only have 3 straps. I also use the same system to tether my GPS to my backpack.

I donít really have an issue with the 3/4 inch clip size and quite honestly would be worried if it were smaller. They test all clips to something like 140 pounds if I recall correctly.
01-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #24
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,613
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have the attachments on all my bodies
I do the same with Peak Design clips. And I was even able to create my own hand strap with that system, which led me to use a strap less and less.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don’t really have an issue with the 3/4 inch clip size and quite honestly would be worried if it were smaller. They test all clips to something like 140 pounds if I recall correctly.
Size isn't always the best indication. for instance, I do trust Op/Tech's clips, but I also trust the Peak Design clips, which are much smaller but were tested to 200 pounds each.
01-28-2021, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #25
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,946
QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Need recommendations on a heavy strap/sling capable of handling up to 10lbs. Not a big fan of the cross body/should sling, but that may be my only option.
Have a look too at this recent discussion: Using heavy lenses with straps - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
01-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 224
Original Poster
Thanks for all the advise. Finally went with a BlackRapid Curve Breathe. Found a new "open box" that was substantially cheaper than anuthing else I looked at. Initial impression is that it will do the job, but until I have a chance to actually use it, I won't know if I got a bargain.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy Duty Tripod jcrutchley Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 16 01-04-2020 09:39 AM
Best (current) heavy duty tripod models for a Pentax 67? vZwicky Pentax Medium Format 27 02-11-2015 09:27 AM
Jury Duty- would you do your duty ? lesmore49 General Talk 58 01-20-2010 02:33 PM
Looking for Heavy Duty Tripod Suggestions dadipentak Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 61 02-19-2009 09:17 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top