Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2021, 04:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Advice from fellow touring cyclist / bikers: which bag for Pentax K1 Mark II

Hello,

Due to Covid regulations I have gotten into biking and bike travelling. Also I am a proud owner of a Pentax K1 Mark II which I will try to use more often this year!

I am planning to have a handlebar bag for my camera's body with a 50 mm f1.7 lens attached to it and a seperate frame bag for my Pentax 24-70mm f2.8 lens.
The idea is to travel easy, light and be able to swap rather quickly according to the given photographic situation.

Now a question for fellow travellers/hikers/bikers: which bags do you use which aren't too heavy to carry, which are practical to open from a bike?

If a K1 is too much of a hassle for light and swift bike travels, feel free to say so.

Many thanks and good day!

Last edited by jeromebertrem; 01-11-2021 at 04:58 AM.
01-11-2021, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used a non-dedicated handlebar bag for my K-50 & DA40. I did damage the bottom plate where it bounced around and collided with the stem. Make sure there is plenty of padding in whatever solution you end up with.
01-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeromebertrem Quote
Hello,

Due to Covid regulations I have gotten into biking and bike travelling. Also I am a proud owner of a Pentax K1 Mark II which I will try to use more often this year!

I am planning to have a handlebar bag for my camera's body with a 50 mm f1.7 lens attached to it and a seperate frame bag for my Pentax 24-70mm f2.8 lens.
The idea is to travel easy, light and be able to swap rather quickly according to the given photographic situation.

Now a question for fellow travellers/hikers/bikers: which bags do you use which aren't too heavy to carry, which are practical to open from a bike?

If a K1 is too much of a hassle for light and swift bike travels, feel free to say so.

I usually use a compact shoulder bag, e.g. my trusty Lowepro 'off road', on top of my clothes in Ortlieb back-rollers when touring. Provides good extra insulation from vribrations and is easy to reach. I often only partially close the buckles - either the back-roller or the camera bag, so it's quick to reach.
01-11-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I usually use a compact shoulder bag, e.g. my trusty Lowepro 'off road', on top of my clothes in Ortlieb back-rollers when touring. Provides good extra insulation from vribrations and is easy to reach. I often only partially close the buckles - either the back-roller or the camera bag, so it's quick to reach.
Do you have any link to the Lowepro off road? I can only find bags which are no longer available.

So having a camera upfront or in a frame bag (only lens) isn't a good idea because there is not enough padding to limit the shocks. Is this interpretation correct?

01-11-2021, 06:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have any link to the Lowepro off road? I can only find bags which are no longer available.
Yup, that's the one. We bought it around 1995 and it's still going strong. Quality-wise (and price-wise), most modern Lowepro bags aren't quite the same, but the ProTactic SH120AW bag, which I use in the same setting for my KP, comes close. The shoulder strap though is far from it. The ProTactic one actually works better, because the off-road's waist belt gets in the way sometimes.

So having a camera upfront or in a frame bag (only lens) isn't a good idea because there is not enough padding to limit the shocks. Is this interpretation correct?
Camera bags attached via KlickFix, like the Ortlieb Ultimate Six with camera insert are likely fine judging by the wobble of the whole thing - which is one of the reasons why I don't like them though. I use a fairly long stem (110mm) and extending that by another 60mm+ for the mount makes the handling unwieldy to me. Anyway, the Ultimate Six would be too small for the K-1. I haven't looked around for other front solutions yet - may do so for my new Brompton . One thing I have considered was to mount a modified camera bag on a Snapit platform (I like the pun) and switch my Tubus rack to a RackTime one, but concerns about vibration/shocks kept me from going for it so far. König bag inserts for Back Rollers intentionally suspend the whole thing in the outer shell for extra damping, so I guess there is something to it.
01-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tour with a standard five bag setup: handlebar bag and four panniers. I used this setup in previous years with the K3II + 16-85 + 55-300PLM, now with K1II + 28-105 + second smaller lens depending on the situation, as well as a m43 camera with kit lens.

All these kits go into a Tenba BYOB 9. This is an insert which perfectly fits in my Ortlieb handlebar bag (and my hiking backpack), and it's proven well made and durable in the three years I've had it. On paper it doesn't fit the height of the K1 because of the pentaprism top, but the bag is flexible and wraps around the camera just fine. I'm not sure if it's large (long) enough for the lens you're planning to use, but if this or any other insert will fit the camera and handlebar bag, I recommend it over having the camera in a pannier. Saddle bag may be a close second, I usually do that with my GR on day rides. Either way, consider how waterproof the outer bag is, I'm happy to say mine survived day-long downpours without a single drop making its way inside. If I bring a tripod, it goes at the top of a rear pannier.

When on shorter rides and with more gear, I put a regular camera bag in a pannier and it's clearly less convenient to use along the ride -- usually it's for biking to a spot and walking around with the camera there.

---------- Post added 01-11-21 at 10:06 AM ----------

If a K1 is too much of a hassle for light and swift bike travels,
I don't think it is at all. I've taken some of my favorite shots ever along bike tours and day rides, in fact the purpose of them was photography I adjust my camera gear depending on how hard the hike/tour/ride is for me. I take the GR when I'm expecting something challenging, but the lack of weather resistance and fixed focal length is obviously a compromise.

Last edited by aaacb; 01-11-2021 at 08:09 AM.
01-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The forces on a bike even if fitted with shocks and just on the road are amazing. I tried various cell phone mounts (for exercise stats) on the front forks and the vibrations were so excessive that I ended up just carrying it in a chest-level pocket. I suppose a GoPro would work fine, since they are made for shocks, but pics were not my purpose. But I would never even consider putting a full size DSLR there. Even in a pack unless very well padded to insulate from shock. And especially on a bike with no shocks even on the road (at least roads like here!).

Last edited by jgnfld; 01-11-2021 at 08:31 AM.
01-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
various cell phone mounts
My thought too, a rigid attachment is not great which is why

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Ortlieb Ultimate Six with camera insert are likely fine judging by the wobble of the whole thing
I prefer the wobbly handlebar bag solution It can be annoying, but it's been safe and robust over the years even going on unpaved roads

01-11-2021, 10:03 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My preference has been a handlebar bag or a rack trunk. My other preference has been a fixed-lens compact camera.

Steve
01-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #10

Hello,

This is a good solution: KlickFix Roomy Handlebar Bag, twist silver - Boutique de vélos en ligne - Bikester.fr together with this part: KlickFix Adaptateur cintre oversize Ř31,8mm, black - Boutique de vélos en ligne - Bikester.fr You can also get smaller bags..https://www.fr.bikester.be/klickfix-aventour-compact-city-handlebar-bag-grey-1309009.html

Last edited by Haenzel; 01-11-2021 at 04:25 PM.
01-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

HI, back in the day, I mountain biked through the Rockies with my Pentax SF10. I kept it in my handlebar bag and it was fine. The key was getting a bag that was more like a box... my handlebar bag had a plastic frame inside it which made it rigid and kept my camera safe. On the back of the bag was a large plate that slid over and attached to the strong handlebar mount that stayed on the bike. I lined this bag with foam and kept my camera, my walkman (ahem!) some tapes and spare batteries in there. Here's something similar... MEC World Tour Handle Bar Bag good luck!