Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2021, 01:10 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A new travel tripod option

Many people here (and elsewhere), including me, have used the Sirui T-025X tripod for quite some time. It's probably the lightest and shortest full-size tripod available, and has been liked by hikers for a long time.

I've come across a new option recently. Vanguard released their Veo 3 Go series, and their 235 is a close competitor to the Sirui. A smidge longer and heavier when folded, but very very close. It's interesting because it offers a few extra features lacking on most travel tripods, namely the center column can go down, it can turn into a monopod, it comes with a short center column, a cell phone adapter, spiked feet and even a bluetooth remote for phones.

(My Sirui has a replacement head that's much nicer than the original one, but makes it a bit larger).

I particularly like the head on the Vanguard, the knobs are actually rotating levers, much more precise, and there is no sag. I've played with it for only a short time, but I can say it's a worthwhile alternative.

02-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's interesting, how these companies compete, I have a Sirui T-1004SK T-S Aluminum Travel Tripod that has all of those same features, except the phone attachment. I bought the C-10S Ball Head with it, which I'm not crazy about, it seems to take a lot of effort to get it tight since the knob is so small. I may have to swap it out sometime. I really like the legs.

Enjoy that Veo, I've read good things about them.
02-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting that. Very timely! I've been mulling over a travel/hiking tripod for the past few weeks. This usually happens about halfway through a 4 hour slog up a trail in northern BC, carrying camera backpack and a old and heavy Manfrotto 190 aluminum tripod...."I gotta get a lighter tripod"....pant, gasp, wheeze.... I love the Manfrotto, but a lighter model would sure help. That, and I need to carry fewer lenses

I've heard good things about Vanguard - I will check this one out.
02-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Thanks for posting that. Very timely! I've been mulling over a travel/hiking tripod for the past few weeks. This usually happens about halfway through a 4 hour slog up a trail in northern BC, carrying camera backpack and a old and heavy Manfrotto 190 aluminum tripod...."I gotta get a lighter tripod"....pant, gasp, wheeze.... I love the Manfrotto, but a lighter model would sure help. That, and I need to carry fewer lenses

I've heard good things about Vanguard - I will check this one out.
I think that Veo now should be on the short list along with Sirui and Peak Design.

For my part, even though it's a bit heavier, I prefer the usability of the Peak Design. However if I had to go on weight alone, the Vanguard competes pretty well with the Sirui, while offering a few extra perks.

Of course there are more expensive options like those from Gitzo, but these are much, much more expensive.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Enjoy that Veo, I've read good things about them.
It's not mine, just something I've been loaned for a short time.

02-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I think that Veo now should be on the short list along with Sirui and Peak Design.

For my part, even though it's a bit heavier, I prefer the usability of the Peak Design. However if I had to go on weight alone, the Vanguard competes pretty well with the Sirui, while offering a few extra perks.
Thanks for the advice. I admit to having become partial to Sirui stuff since I got one of their ballheads -- really well made, and not extortionately expensive...nice piece. I will check out their tripods too.
02-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I admit to having become partial to Sirui stuff since I got one of their ballheads -- really well made, and not extortionately expensive...nice piece. I will check out their tripods too.
I like Sirui products also. That's why I was positively surprised by the Vanguard. It addresses several of the small gripes I have with the Sirui T-025X.

That being said, some of the accessories are quirky. It would have been easy to have the cell phone mount grip directly on the tripod base, but you need to screw it into a plate. It feels 80% there, but not quite
02-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like Sirui products also. That's why I was positively surprised by the Vanguard. It addresses several of the small gripes I have with the Sirui T-025X.

That being said, some of the accessories are quirky. It would have been easy to have the cell phone mount grip directly on the tripod base, but you need to screw it into a plate. It feels 80% there, but not quite
Those accessories really don't interest me in the least, as I would never think of putting a phone on a tripod. So as long as the basic functions are good and it can solidly hold a dslr and a mid-size zoom, or one of my TLRs, then I'd be happy. Which do you feel is the more solid and stable of the two?

02-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Those accessories really don't interest me in the least, as I would never think of putting a phone on a tripod. So as long as the basic functions are good and it can solidly hold a dslr and a mid-size zoom, or one of my TLRs, then I'd be happy. Which do you feel is the more solid and stable of the two?
Hi!

Phone support has been useful on my Peak Design, mainly for video calls. Simple and effective.

I haven't tested the Vanguard in challenging conditions. Also, the one I held was aluminum while my sirui is carbon fiber.

The head on the Vanguard is better than the one on the Sirui, that's why I upgraded my Sirui with their K10x head.

The legs on both appear close, no notable difference.

The fact that the Vanguard can drop its center column down makes it more stable all things being equal. You can however remove the center column on the Sirui, so the best stability will likely depend on how you use it.
02-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good one! I will check them both out. No rush at the moment, as I have little need for a tripod with winter hiking -- all the waterfalls and rivers are frozen :-). But come springtime it will be great to have on hand.

BTW, I have the same K-10X head -- it's excellent. I will see if I can get a set of tripod legs with no head so I can just switch this one over.
02-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good one! I will check them both out. No rush at the moment, as I have little need for a tripod with winter hiking -- all the waterfalls and rivers are frozen :-). But come springtime it will be great to have on hand.
I suggest considering also that Peak Design tripod, a bit heavier but I find it much more enjoyable to use.

BTW, I have the same K-10X head -- it's excellent. I will see if I can get a set of tripod legs with no head so I can just switch this one over.
The Vanguard always sells with a head, but of course you can swap it.
02-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW, I have the same K-10X head -- it's excellent.
I'm not so convinced - I have both a K-10X and a K-20X by chance. They move slightly when you tighten them from medium friction setting to locked. And the 'pano' axis locking is a pointy screw, leaving dimples over time in the ring underneath and anything but smooth when half-engaged. At the same time it doesn't provide enough support to lock down residual play in the vertical axis. So they're good, but definitely have room for improvement.
02-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suggest considering also that Peak Design tripod, a bit heavier but I find it much more enjoyable to use.
Good one -- I will check that one out as well. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I'm not so convinced - I have both a K-10X and a K-20X by chance. They move slightly when you tighten them from medium friction setting to locked. And the 'pano' axis locking is a pointy screw, leaving dimples over time in the ring underneath and anything but smooth when half-engaged. At the same time it doesn't provide enough support to lock down residual play in the vertical axis. So they're good, but definitely have room for improvement.
Jens, I can't say I've noticed any of those problems. Mine seems to work perfectly fine. Seems completely solid and secure all around. But now that you mention all this, I will check mine more closely.
02-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good one -- I will check that one out as well. Thanks!
See here:

Peak Design Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Jens, I can't say I've noticed any of those problems. Mine seems to work perfectly fine. Seems completely solid and secure all around. But now that you mention all this, I will check mine more closely.
My experience is also not like that. I observed no sag when tightening, and that's an important factor for me when doing macro. The pano never seemed to lock quite completely, I'm able to have it rotate if I apply a bit of force, but it's always been extremely smooth and reliable.
02-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

FWIW, I bought a Siriu T-0055KX [/URL]"Travel Tripod" with a C-10X ballhead at the annual Birmingham "Photoshow" about 5 yrs ago for around £100 because it wasn't expensive, was not very heavy , with a K-30 & 18-135 on to it felt pretty stable, and it has a loop under the "head" of the tripod from which you can hang a bag of "stuff" to stabilise it.

My own major issue is that the ballhead securing knobs are very small, which makes it difficult to tighten them sufficiently.

Probably not anywhere near "good enough" with a bigger body & lens on top - but something like that combo might be useful for someone using a similar combo to mine

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-19-2021 at 01:21 PM.
02-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I bought a Siriu T-0055KX
That's the updated version of the T-025X. It comes with the same head also.