Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Asahi Pentax Slide Copier K mounted on FA 100/2.8 macro?

I guess the title is pretty self explanatory. I want to digitize film using the K-1 with the FA 100-2.8 combo, I want to use Pixel Shift to get the max out of it. Since this lens has a reproduction ratio of 1:1, at minimal distance the slide would be perfectly projected onto the sensor, in thoery.
The idea would be to mount the slide copier on the end of the barrel of the lens which is 58 mm in diameter. I see that the back of the slide copier has a sort of clip system but I don't know the diameter it covers.
Also the minimal focus point is at 31 cm, which I hope is in the extension range of the included bellows on the slide copier.
Can anybody give me any type of information about this? Anything would be appreciated!
Thank you!

02-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #2

Are you talking about the Slide Holder K or the Slide Copier K. The Holder is a tube that attaches to the filter thread. The Slide Copier has a bellows on it and is part of the Auto Bellows-K.

PENTAX Slide Holder 1x, K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
PENTAX Auto Bellows K and Slide Copier K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

These are designed to be used with 50 and 55mm lenses. The tube and the rails are not long enough for a 100mm lens to focus on the slide.
02-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Can anybody give me any type of information about this? Anything would be appreciated!
Your challenge will be working distance at 1:1.* As noted above, most slide copiers are designed for use on bellows with a lens in the range of 50mm to 58mm focal length. Slide holders are designed for a specific focal length, usually 50mm. Your FA 100/2.8 has a working distance at 1:1 somewhat longer than that provided by available Pentax-brand devices.

Steve

* Working distance may be estimated by subtracting the total length at full extension + 45.5mm from the minimum focus distance.
02-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As the two replies above indicate, both the bellows and tube slide copiers will not work with a 100mm lens. If you want to use the lens to digitize chromes/slides, your best bet will be a vertical set-up, a copy stand would be ideal, but a tripod with reversible center column or a screw at the lower end of the column will do, so long as you can point the camera straight down. Then rig some kind of back lighting platform for the slides. I would say look for a "light box" used for tracing, but many, many of those use fluorescent lights, and you want either incandescent or better, LED as the color will be better. Don't place the lights directly below the chrome/slide and shining up through them as this will cause a central hot spot with severe vignetting. Shining lights onto a white card below the chrome/slide is far more satisfactory. I can envision a suitable set up for lighting the chromes/slides, but it is too difficult to describe, I'd need to make a diagram. It's more or less akin to a diffused light source used in an enlarger.. .CLEAN THE CHROME/SLIDE OF DUST AS BEST YOU CAN!! Use a brush and a few quick puffs from a canned air sprayer (dust is a PAIN in PP). Work in a completely darkened room, or use some kind of cardboard box, black cloth etc to prevent any light from hitting the up-facing surface of the chrome/slide. Finally, have a goodly batch of chromes/slides ready to go, all cleaned and stacked so you can file them through one after the other. Setting things up is tedious so don't waste the effort if you only have a dozen chromes/slides ready to be digitized.

02-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in film days, (late 1970s) I had a bellows and slide copier with my pentax K2 and ME. Converting slides to film (although I don't know why!!!). I in fact still have that equipment - but it is a M bellows, not K, and my KP won't fit onto the bellows - the base of the bellows mount protrudes and blocks the camera from completing the lock turn. Very annoying, as I was looking forward to using the equipment to digitise my slide collection. If I were a metal worker, I would make something up for the copier to screw into on one end, and the camera to mount on the other end. The copier comes with its own short mini-bellows connection the front of the lens (yes, I was using a 50mm Pentax M Macro lens - which I also still have).

I sometimes set my flash on a remote lead, a metre back from the rear of the slide copier. I also sometimes set up outdoors, with camera and slide in the shade, but pointed at a white sheet or card in the sun. The camera/bellows/slide copier were on a tripod in both cases, and I used the mirror lockup function as well. Another possibility if you have a light umbrella is to set the umbrella behind the set up, with the flash pointing at the umbrella. Diffusor on flash if flashing direct to the rear of the slide copier.

The end result of my slide copying to film was pretty good, sharpness-wise, but often produced a very contrasty negative.
02-05-2021, 07:47 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Back in film days, (late 1970s) I had a bellows and slide copier with my pentax K2 and ME. Converting slides to film (although I don't know why!!!). I in fact still have that equipment - but it is a M bellows, not K, and my KP won't fit onto the bellows - the base of the bellows mount protrudes and blocks the camera from completing the lock turn. Very annoying, as I was looking forward to using the equipment to digitise my slide collection. If I were a metal worker, I would make something up for the copier to screw into on one end, and the camera to mount on the other end. The copier comes with its own short mini-bellows connection the front of the lens (yes, I was using a 50mm Pentax M Macro lens - which I also still have).
There may be no need for fabrication. A short extension tube is all that should be required to allow clearance That and attaching the removable adapter from the rear standard to the camera first and you should be good to go.

Note that while you can probably dial in the required 1:1.5 reproduction* for slide copying with your KP, the bellows extension for the slide copier is too short to bridge the gap to the lens. Other users on this site have employed makeshift solutions involving gaffer's tape and tubing.

Steve

* (Focal Length x 1.67) - 45.5mm = extension from camera flange. This may be easier to attain with a little longer focal length, say 55mm or 58mm.
02-06-2021, 05:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Back in film days, (late 1970s) I had a bellows and slide copier with my pentax K2 and ME. Converting slides to film (although I don't know why!!!). I in fact still have that equipment - but it is a M bellows, not K, and my KP won't fit onto the bellows - the base of the bellows mount protrudes and blocks the camera from completing the lock turn. Very annoying, as I was looking forward to using the equipment to digitise my slide collection. If I were a metal worker, I would make something up for the copier to screw into on one end, and the camera to mount on the other end. The copier comes with its own short mini-bellows connection the front of the lens (yes, I was using a 50mm Pentax M Macro lens - which I also still have)..

As stevebrot pointed out, all you need is a short extension tube and an M42 to K-mount adapter to get your KP onto the bellows. Because the bellows is M42, you can probably get a cheap M42 extension tube on EBAY quite easily.. If you are tempted to purchase a K-mount bellows, you will still need a short extension tube (K-mount tube in this case) because the forward protruding pop-up flash housing of any DSLR strikes the lock screw atop the rear standard of the bellows.

I thought about digitizing slides using a K3 and auto bellows K. As indicated by stevebrot, without some jerry rigging you cannot obtain both full-frame coverage and focus. I tried with 35mm, 40mm, 50mm 70mm and 100mm (bellows) lenses, plus a 50mm enlarging lens, many in both normal and reversed orientation, and it could not be done. If you don't mind mild cropping around the edges yes, but not if you want full edge-to-edge digitizing of your chromes/slides.
02-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
and an M42 to K-mount adapter to get your KP onto the bellows. Because the bellows is M42, you can probably get a cheap M42 extension tube on EBAY quite easily..
The Auto Bellows M is K-mount and is identical to the Auto Bellows K except for model name.* No M42 adapter is needed. As for the protruding flash housing, the trick is to remove the mount adapter from the bellows rear standard and assemble the stack in this as follows
  1. Remove K-mount from bellows rear standard
  2. Assemble extension tube to the (now removed) bellows mount
  3. Mount the above to the camera
  4. Attach the above to the rear standard of the bellows.

Steve

* A number of bellows models were made for K-mount, though with only two designs, a compact design without the "auto" (twin cable release) feature and a larger full-featured model with support for both "auto" and the slide copier. I own the compact Bellows K.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-06-2021 at 12:20 PM.
02-06-2021, 12:43 PM   #9

The K-10D fits on the Auto Bellows without an extension tube. You can't quite mount the camera in "portrait" orientation though - it's a tight fit because of the AF/MF switch.

Following the instruction manual remove the bellows rear adapter and put in on the camera body. Then mount the adapter and body to the bellows. To switch body orientation remove the body and adapter and re-orient. Film bodies have a rounded lens base and you can loosen the thumb screw and rotate the body and adapter without removing it.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-06-2021 at 01:01 PM.
02-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Following the instruction manual...
And for those interested in the instruction manual, it is available for free download from the Extreme Macro Web site downloads page:

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/bellows/pentax-bellows.pdf

(Extreme Macro is run by PF moderator and long-time member Nass

Steve
02-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you guys for our input!
So I did some measurements: the remaining distance to the focus point with teh lens extended to max magnification/closest focus distance is about 115 mm. this is the distance from the end of the barrel to the object in focus. I double checked by measuring the nominal minimal focus distance(306 mm) from the focal plane, the one signed on the camera body and it checks.
02-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm a little late to the game, but I got myself an adaptor ring that allows me to put an enlarging lens on the bellows. This gives great results.