Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave K Quote
foolishly wishing for light weight (for obvious reasons) of a travel-type tripod. Wishful to stay below $300.00 but best fit more important. Anyone been down this road, their suggestions would be much appreciated.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sirui T-025SK would fit your needs well.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This recent thread might be of interest...

A new travel tripod option - PentaxForums.com

Several popular travel tripods are discussed.
Absolutely agree about the Sirui (I own the older T-025X). Also agree to check out my thread The Vanguard is a worthy option.

I've mostly replaced the Sirui with the Peak Design Travel Tripod, 1 pound heavier but stronger, taller, more fun to use, but much more expensive. However, if you can live with a lower tripod it can be converted by removing some legs sections (using optional feet) and make it much lighter (and shorter). Given your price point, the Vanguard or Sirui will serve you well.

02-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Rough country tripod
Have you thought about starting an employment opportunity... take your normal heavy tripod, every piece of photographic kit you own, for "just in case required" and engage a Sherpa or two.
02-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I have not needed it but the discontinued Benbo tripod is what I would use in your scenario. (I just take a table top tripod.) Benbo had two sizes (smaller for 35mm ) and two or three heights.

I too highly recommend Benbo tripods.
They are extremely adaptable to all sorts of shooting positions and surfaces.

Chris
02-20-2021, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Rough country tripod
Benbo tripod is what I would use in your scenario
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have a Benbo Classic Mk2, which I still use for awkward set ups, great tripod... extends up to 101" (centre column fully extended, but then does have vibration issues) and closes down to 45", Load Capacity is 22 lbs, but it weighs in at 8.27 lbs.

Where as my Gitzo Series 5 Systematic XL GT5543XLS, seriously rock solid... extends up to 78" (solid, no centre column) and closes down to 28", Load Capacity is 88 lbs and only weighs 6.87 lbs.

Remember you've still to add a head of your choice to both... so in my case, the Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp, adds another 1.87 lbs to either tripod.

Both have their uses for me... but where humping of kit is involved, it's the Gitzo all the way for me.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-23-2021 at 04:40 AM.
02-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
They are extremely adaptable to all sorts of shooting positions and surfaces.

Chris
I have to agree here. Benro makes some very good tripods. My best by far is a large benro 457r6 carbon fibre with an induro bhd3 head. Easily handles 12 kilo plus. Is tall enough I never extend the Center pole and is easy to attach a Center weight to (I usually just use my camera bag as it weighs enough ) . I picked it up used for $400 Canadian so definitely watch for a deal too you may end up with a better tripod for same budget.
My other two tripods ar manfeotto. I have an aluminum 190 that until recently had a three way head .. I changed it to a siriu ball head last week, it has been a workhorse that cost me 150 or so in 1990. The othe is a small travel tripod from manfrotto with a ball head. Too light duty for my gfx but fine for smaller travel kits
02-25-2021, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #21
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benro and Benbo are not the same. Benro came much later and I wonder if they purposely chose a name to confuse.
02-25-2021, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Benro and Benbo are not the same. Benro came much later and I wonder if they purposely chose a name to confuse.
Just a bit useless info re Benbo... due to the unique way the legs and column lock, i.e. one bent bolt, which is where I believe is where the name comes from BENt BOlt.

This was originally based on an early machine gun tripod mounting from WW1, but that bit info may just be hype.

03-04-2021, 03:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For travel you have to compromise somewhere, I decided height wasn't important as long as it would go above the height of typical railings/walls etc. This allows either a smaller tripod or reduces the problem of very spindly bottom sections of the legs. I settled on an aluminium Manfrotto 190 Go, it being the largest travel tripod I could envisage carrying. I also have a table tripod that is sturdy enough at it's minimum height for air travel etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just a bit useless info re Benbo... due to the unique way the legs and column lock, i.e. one bent bolt, which is where I believe is where the name comes from BENt BOlt.
My main 'rough & tumble' tripod is an old Uni-Loc (a spin-off from the Benbo) 1600 Major (in 'stealth' brown to camouflage it). At 3.4 Kg it's not light and about 1m long it's not compact but the bottom section of the legs are sealed against water. The legs are only in two sections of aluminium tubing and if I'm using heavy gear I often use it unextended. As with the Benbo, all legs can be positioned independently, and at low heights you can drop the centre column onto the ground.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
This was originally based on an early machine gun tripod mounting from WW1, but that bit info may just be hype.
Not sure about the machine gun tripod suggestion, my Uni-Loc is shown below with my 645D, 67 500/5.6 in 'quadpod' mode with the centre column on the ground:

03-04-2021, 04:08 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I'm using heavy gear I often use it unextended. As with the Benbo, all legs can be positioned independently
Yep absolutely, great flexibility.

at low heights you can drop the centre column onto the ground.
Does your "quadpod mode" add to stability, as I would've thought it to be counter intuitive?

The whole tripod concept of the three leg set up being more stable than four on uneven surfaces. As the ends of the three legs are in the same geometric plane.

Not sure about the machine gun tripod suggestion
Apparently the single bent bolt idea was used on WW1 machine guns, similar set ups have been seen in the Imperial War Museums.