Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 267
It could be the the newness, but the peak design cuff has been my favorite accessory for a few weeks.

I canít believe spent so many years wrapping a long strap around my wrist.

04-18-2021, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Sioux City, IA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 927
Iíd say my two favorite accessories are my Platypod Ultra, which is great for travel situations where no tripods are allowed, and the film-era right angle viewfinder that I can use on my 645D.
04-18-2021, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,519
Both the K-1 and 645Z have the Pentax straps with 2 little pockets to hold the remote F. Straps are probably from the '90's. Remote F in right pocket and extra SD cards in the left. Passed on the KP because it lacked ir remote capability.

Thanks,
barondla
04-19-2021, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2019
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 562
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
It could be the the newness, but the peak design cuff has been my favorite accessory for a few weeks.

I canít believe spent so many years wrapping a long strap around my wrist.
Thought about that strap because I do the same, wrap the normal camera strap but what I can't get past is that I also use the normal camera strap around my neck when I'm changing lenses, leaving two hands free to wrangle gear and whilst the wrist strap is more secure it would leave me one handed. I could use it with a capture clip but then I'd have the capture clip baseplate permanently stuck on my camera which I'm not keen on, so I haven't quite worked this conundrum out.


QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Iíd say my two favorite accessories are my Platypod Ultra, which is great for travel situations where no tripods are allowed, and the film-era right angle viewfinder that I can use on my 645D.
Never seen one of them, interesting.

04-19-2021, 05:29 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Sioux City, IA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 927
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Never seen one of them, interesting.
I find mine incredibly useful. Iíve been able to shoot HDR brackets at ISO 100 in dark interiors where no tripods are allowed. Itís also great for getting an UWA lens really close to the ground and leaning it back a bit for an epic look. I also ensure that I have it and a ball head in my bag at all times so that Iím never caught without a tripod, even if I might need to get a little creative in selecting something to set it on. (Thereís also a strap that can be used to attach to tree limbs or railings, but I havenít gotten to the point of doing that yet.)
04-19-2021, 05:37 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,856
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
My favourite and most used accessory (apart from a tripod) is the IR remote that I use for all my real estate photography. It's much better than a cable, which can often get tangled or jogged causing slight movement on a tripod, is small and fits in your back pocket whilst preparing the shot.
Thatís one thing I donít love about the KP that the K-3 has.
04-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #37
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,609
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
It could be the the newness, but the peak design cuff has been my favorite accessory for a few weeks.

I can’t believe spent so many years wrapping a long strap around my wrist.
Agreed. Neck strap have made no sense for me for the last several years. I use a custom-made hand strap attached to Peak Design anchors myself.

04-19-2021, 05:59 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Sioux City, IA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 927
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Agreed. Neck strap have made no sense for me for the last several years. I use a custom-made hand strap attached to Peak Design anchors myself.
I often like a sling strap (PD Slide is my current favorite), especially when traveling and I have the camera attached to me all day (or need both hands at times to navigate public transit or something like that). However, there are plenty of times on more local outings where I've noticed that I am gripping the camera by hand all the time, and so a hand strap might be more effective. Who knowsÖI might find a way to let it dangle and use my hands effectively and move away from the Slide.

The PD Capture clip is also really handy. I will go out with the 645D and K-70 with a long lens on the K-70 (soon to be superseded by the K-3 iii) and something wide on the 645D. The D is on a strap while the APS-C is in the capture, either on my belt or on the end of my PD Messenger bag, where they have a specially-designed spot for Capture.
04-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 267
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I often like a sling strap (PD Slide is my current favorite), especially when traveling and I have the camera attached to me all day (or need both hands at times to navigate public transit or something like that). However, there are plenty of times on more local outings where I've noticed that I am gripping the camera by hand all the time, and so a hand strap might be more effective. Who knowsÖI might find a way to let it dangle and use my hands effectively and move away from the Slide.

The PD Capture clip is also really handy. I will go out with the 645D and K-70 with a long lens on the K-70 (soon to be superseded by the K-3 iii) and something wide on the 645D. The D is on a strap while the APS-C is in the capture, either on my belt or on the end of my PD Messenger bag, where they have a specially-designed spot for Capture.
I find that I usually only use the hand strap if I have a backpack, otherwise I take the sling.

Probably not the best of ideas, but I recently experimented with clipping the cuff to my belt with a carabiner. There was way too much swinging when walking, but it was nice to free up my hands when standing still.
04-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member
RobSpain's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Malaga province
Posts: 429
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thatís one thing I donít love about the KP that the K-3 has.
Gosh, I didn't know that! I had to go and check the KP specs to see!
04-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #41
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2019
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 562
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thatís one thing I donít love about the KP that the K-3 has.
No, me neither. It's back to the self timer for me with occasional use of image sync. I have also bought a remote release which is unbelievably huge for what it is but I do miss the IR remote release.

---------- Post added 19-04-21 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Agreed. Neck strap have made no sense for me for the last several years. I use a custom-made hand strap attached to Peak Design anchors myself.
May I ask what you do when changing lenses? It's likely your set up is different enough to mine for it not to work for me but I would like to use Peak Design wrist strap if I could make it work because that's how I use the normal camera strap anyhow.
04-19-2021, 09:23 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,856
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
May I ask what you do when changing lenses? It's likely your set up is different enough to mine for it not to work for me but I would like to use Peak Design wrist strap if I could make it work because that's how I use the normal camera strap anyhow.
I realize you didn't send this to me but I also have a peak design wrist strap and it works well. I use the double sided lens caps from Optech and pull the lens off a body and onto the empty side of the cap and let the body dangle from the strap (just above my bag if that's an option) and then I put the lens into my bag, detach the other lens and mount it. Being able to let the body dangle is useful as it frees up a second hand to hold things.
04-20-2021, 02:31 AM   #43
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2019
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 562
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I realize you didn't send this to me but I also have a peak design wrist strap and it works well. I use the double sided lens caps from Optech and pull the lens off a body and onto the empty side of the cap and let the body dangle from the strap (just above my bag if that's an option) and then I put the lens into my bag, detach the other lens and mount it. Being able to let the body dangle is useful as it frees up a second hand to hold things.
Thanks, that's what I was imagining and I've seen you mention the double sided cap before. I think in terms of dexterity and bag storage, it's a slightly clumsier option for me which gives me some concerns about swinging the camera into things. I might just need to buy one, try it and develop a different technique and retrain my muscle memory as 99% of the time I carry the camera it's one handed by my side and the PD strap would definitely feel more secure.
04-20-2021, 04:28 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,856
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Thanks, that's what I was imagining and I've seen you mention the double sided cap before. I think in terms of dexterity and bag storage, it's a slightly clumsier option for me which gives me some concerns about swinging the camera into things. I might just need to buy one, try it and develop a different technique and retrain my muscle memory as 99% of the time I carry the camera it's one handed by my side and the PD strap would definitely feel more secure.
The ideal option involves taking the strap off and resting the camera in the open sling bag. This is the most secure method Iíve developed. The pd strap is harder to remove than some Iíve used, but itís secure and a useful option when you have pd neck strap and want to use a wa wrist strap interchangeably with a neck one.
04-20-2021, 05:10 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 17,515
I guess my favourite accessory is a padded bag insert that lets me use any backpack as a camera bag. I find it a lot more flexible than having a dedicated camera backpack with little room for other stuff (but I do have some of those as well).

I got one similar to this one: DSLR SLR Camera Bag Lens Protector Padded Insert Partition Case Organizer Bag N | eBay

It fits in my regular daypack as well as in any bigger backpack, of course. On my latest "serious" backpack (Osprey Xenith 88) I can fit it in the sleeping bag compartment in the bottom of the pack, easily reachable through the dedicated front zipper.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
accessories, backup, camera, card, design, device, peak, phone, release, travelling, tripod, wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thematic Monthly Favourite from your local area timb64 Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 116 11-04-2021 07:26 AM
Post your favourite meal recipes! BigMackCam General Talk 54 01-17-2021 08:59 AM
Vote for your favourite Pentax film cameras Kosmo Foto Pentax Film SLR Discussion 72 11-03-2019 07:51 PM
Considering your K-1 use, what are your favourite features. normhead Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 38 04-18-2019 06:50 AM
Your favourite night lens. Conqueror Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 34 11-25-2014 03:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top