Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 04:48 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your favourite accessories

There's a few accessories I've found which are extremely handy and virtually always live in a bag somewhere near my camera.

The first one, the Ravpower device serves multiple functions and for someone who doesn't carry a laptop with them is most useful whilst travelling. It's a backup device, card to usb stick, a powerbank, a wifi range extender, including plugging it into a LAN socket to turn that into WiFi and a Wifi hotspot, so plug your card in and connect your phone or tablet to download your pics, it will also pass through to any local WiFi at the same time if you so desire, in fact it does so much I normally carry the little manual with me to remind me how to do things. The KP and others will connect to your phone directly to transfer pictures but I've found it to be quite slow, fine for the odd picture but this is quicker for a larger transfer, though for the backups, once your card is getting full, it can take 30 mins or more for a full backup, it doesn't do incremental just a full mirrored backup every time.

The second one is just a little tripod that sits on the bottom of the camera and is so unobtrusive you can safely leave it there, fold it out to put on a wall or table or ground, again nearly always on when I'm travelling.

So what are yours?

Attached Images

Last edited by 3by2; 02-22-2021 at 04:54 AM.
02-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What’s the model of that ravpower?
02-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What’s the model of that ravpower?

It's the AC750
02-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
It's the AC750
Thank you.

02-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
It's the AC750
I found it on Amazon using that info. However just to be clear that referred only to the WiFi speed. Apparently (buried in the page) the model is RP-WD009. This wasn’t needed to find it on Amazon but may help with other sites if someone else wants this device.
02-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I found it on Amazon using that info. However just to be clear that referred only to the WiFi speed. Apparently (buried in the page) the model is RP-WD009. This wasn’t needed to find it on Amazon but may help with other sites if someone else wants this device.
Ah right. I think Verbatim do one quite similar, although I haven't examined the specs in detail, useful devices.
02-22-2021, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if it is my favorite but I definitely love it when I need it: a waterproof backpack cover. It is cheap, light, it doesn't take much space and can save your gear.

02-22-2021, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ooooo, so many to chose from.

My Mindshift Ultralight Dual 36L backpack(now discontinued, so I bought a spare)? My Leofoto Kit LN-404C & DC-404C Center Column Series 5 Compatible Bowl Tripod Carbon Fiber (It was $100.00 less when I got it 2 years ago. max height of legs=70.8 inches, with raised column I need a ladder)? These 2 sprinf to mind, along with my Acratech ballheads and Benro geared head....

But I aspire to this...
02-22-2021, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
But I aspire to this...
Oh very nice. I had something a little bit similar on a Mercedes Sprinter base a few years ago, called a Westfalia James Cook. Not four wheel drive but rear wheel drive and still quite capable with snow chains on. We did go on a Skiing holiday in it as well as touring right through Europe. We eventually sold it as the kind of holidays we did changed, no regrets there but that size and type of van is pretty perfect for little adventures.
02-22-2021, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Mercedes would be a pretty nice photography accessory. I actually bought a four wheel drive Toyota Tacoma a year ago and it's turned into a pretty nice photo accessory, I go places that I would not have taken my Honda Civic. But here's one of the best accessories that I have, just a normal Arca style quick release plate. They are pretty cheap, and fit on all three tripods that I have. Just a simple lttle thing that saves time and makes it easy. A few years ago I did buy replace the QR system on my Induro Tripod to make this happen.

Name:  IMG_0924.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  164.9 KB
02-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I don't know if it is my favorite but I definitely love it when I need it: a waterproof backpack cover. It is cheap, light, it doesn't take much space and can save your gear.
Fantastic item to have, and if it is not included in your pack you need to get one. My ThinkTank slings have that built in to the bottom, and yes I have used them.
02-22-2021, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Already a bit older, but still going strong, The NexTo 320 GB. Very easy to copy SD card to it's 320 GB diskdrive. Also has a verify function to check or the copy was succesfull

But with my current K1-II the disk size is getting a bit small. But according to the manual it could support up to 2 TB. I guess it is time to replace the harddisk with a SSD

Last edited by Sakura; 02-22-2021 at 02:51 PM.
02-22-2021, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too obvious I suppose, but lens hoods and polarizing filters are a must-have. I've got stuff crammed into every nook and cranny in my bag. One of my newest favorite accessories is my Moman mini tripod. Then there's the automotive windshield shades, which I use as light reflectors (or shades ). Very light gray on one side and silver on the other.
02-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #14
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Already a bit older, but still going strong, The NexTo 320 GB. Very easy to copy SD card to it's 320 GB diskdrive. Also has a verify function to check or the copy was succesfull

But with my current K1-II the disk size is getting a bit small. But according to the manual it could support up to 2 TB. I guess it is time to replace the harddisk with a SSD
If I recall, they were cutting edge and not cheap when they came out. It was actually something like that I was looking for when I found the Ravpower.
02-22-2021, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
ooooo, so many to chose from.

But I aspire to this...
Sportsmobile – my first RV!

It was a 199? Dodge that we bought used in 2001 for a mere $10,000. My daughter was a student at Texas A&M at the time, and we would take the Sportsmobile to Aggieland for football weekends. Thus it ended up being named the Ag-Wagon.

It had the pop-up top, and you could sleep either up top or fold out the opposing settees. It had a sink, fridge, and microwave. A Port-a-Potty served as the convenience. It was great fun, but it could get real small real fast in inclement weather.

After two years we moved on to a 26' Class C with a real bathroom and a real bed. Today we have a 34' Winnebago Class A with 2 slides.

RVs are like cameras – you are always looking at the next one.

Whoops. I got so caught up in my Sportsmobile memories I almost forgot my favorite accessory. I have a roller suitcase that I transformed into a camera carrier with inserts I found online. I can pack most of my kit in it and throw it in a bottom compartment of the motorhome. No matter how long we are on the road, I have my stuff with me and can change my backpack contents for almost any situation.

Last edited by AggieDad; 02-22-2021 at 06:36 PM.