Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It could be the the newness, but the peak design cuff has been my favorite accessory for a few weeks.

I can’t believe spent so many years wrapping a long strap around my wrist.

04-18-2021, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I’d say my two favorite accessories are my Platypod Ultra, which is great for travel situations where no tripods are allowed, and the film-era right angle viewfinder that I can use on my 645D.
04-18-2021, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the K-1 and 645Z have the Pentax straps with 2 little pockets to hold the remote F. Straps are probably from the '90's. Remote F in right pocket and extra SD cards in the left. Passed on the KP because it lacked ir remote capability.

Thanks,
barondla
04-19-2021, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #34
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
It could be the the newness, but the peak design cuff has been my favorite accessory for a few weeks.

Thought about that strap because I do the same, wrap the normal camera strap but what I can't get past is that I also use the normal camera strap around my neck when I'm changing lenses, leaving two hands free to wrangle gear and whilst the wrist strap is more secure it would leave me one handed. I could use it with a capture clip but then I'd have the capture clip baseplate permanently stuck on my camera which I'm not keen on, so I haven't quite worked this conundrum out.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I’d say my two favorite accessories are my Platypod Ultra, which is great for travel situations where no tripods are allowed, and the film-era right angle viewfinder that I can use on my 645D.
Never seen one of them, interesting.

04-19-2021, 05:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Never seen one of them, interesting.
I find mine incredibly useful. I’ve been able to shoot HDR brackets at ISO 100 in dark interiors where no tripods are allowed. It’s also great for getting an UWA lens really close to the ground and leaning it back a bit for an epic look. I also ensure that I have it and a ball head in my bag at all times so that I’m never caught without a tripod, even if I might need to get a little creative in selecting something to set it on. (There’s also a strap that can be used to attach to tree limbs or railings, but I haven’t gotten to the point of doing that yet.)
04-19-2021, 05:37 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
My favourite and most used accessory (apart from a tripod) is the IR remote that I use for all my real estate photography. It's much better than a cable, which can often get tangled or jogged causing slight movement on a tripod, is small and fits in your back pocket whilst preparing the shot.
That’s one thing I don’t love about the KP that the K-3 has.
04-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote

Agreed. Neck strap have made no sense for me for the last several years. I use a custom-made hand strap attached to Peak Design anchors myself.

04-19-2021, 05:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Agreed. Neck strap have made no sense for me for the last several years. I use a custom-made hand strap attached to Peak Design anchors myself.
I often like a sling strap (PD Slide is my current favorite), especially when traveling and I have the camera attached to me all day (or need both hands at times to navigate public transit or something like that). However, there are plenty of times on more local outings where I've noticed that I am gripping the camera by hand all the time, and so a hand strap might be more effective. Who knows…I might find a way to let it dangle and use my hands effectively and move away from the Slide.

The PD Capture clip is also really handy. I will go out with the 645D and K-70 with a long lens on the K-70 (soon to be superseded by the K-3 iii) and something wide on the 645D. The D is on a strap while the APS-C is in the capture, either on my belt or on the end of my PD Messenger bag, where they have a specially-designed spot for Capture.
04-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I often like a sling strap (PD Slide is my current favorite), especially when traveling and I have the camera attached to me all day (or need both hands at times to navigate public transit or something like that). However, there are plenty of times on more local outings where I've noticed that I am gripping the camera by hand all the time, and so a hand strap might be more effective. Who knows…I might find a way to let it dangle and use my hands effectively and move away from the Slide.

The PD Capture clip is also really handy. I will go out with the 645D and K-70 with a long lens on the K-70 (soon to be superseded by the K-3 iii) and something wide on the 645D. The D is on a strap while the APS-C is in the capture, either on my belt or on the end of my PD Messenger bag, where they have a specially-designed spot for Capture.
I find that I usually only use the hand strap if I have a backpack, otherwise I take the sling.

Probably not the best of ideas, but I recently experimented with clipping the cuff to my belt with a carabiner. There was way too much swinging when walking, but it was nice to free up my hands when standing still.
04-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Gosh, I didn't know that! I had to go and check the KP specs to see!
04-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #41
Closed Account

Original Poster
No, me neither. It's back to the self timer for me with occasional use of image sync. I have also bought a remote release which is unbelievably huge for what it is but I do miss the IR remote release.

---------- Post added 19-04-21 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
May I ask what you do when changing lenses? It's likely your set up is different enough to mine for it not to work for me but I would like to use Peak Design wrist strap if I could make it work because that's how I use the normal camera strap anyhow.
04-19-2021, 09:23 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

May I ask what you do when changing lenses? It's likely your set up is different enough to mine for it not to work for me but I would like to use Peak Design wrist strap if I could make it work because that's how I use the normal camera strap anyhow.
I realize you didn't send this to me but I also have a peak design wrist strap and it works well. I use the double sided lens caps from Optech and pull the lens off a body and onto the empty side of the cap and let the body dangle from the strap (just above my bag if that's an option) and then I put the lens into my bag, detach the other lens and mount it. Being able to let the body dangle is useful as it frees up a second hand to hold things.
04-20-2021, 02:31 AM   #43
Closed Account

Original Poster
I realize you didn't send this to me but I also have a peak design wrist strap and it works well. I use the double sided lens caps from Optech and pull the lens off a body and onto the empty side of the cap and let the body dangle from the strap (just above my bag if that's an option) and then I put the lens into my bag, detach the other lens and mount it. Being able to let the body dangle is useful as it frees up a second hand to hold things.
Thanks, that's what I was imagining and I've seen you mention the double sided cap before. I think in terms of dexterity and bag storage, it's a slightly clumsier option for me which gives me some concerns about swinging the camera into things. I might just need to buy one, try it and develop a different technique and retrain my muscle memory as 99% of the time I carry the camera it's one handed by my side and the PD strap would definitely feel more secure.
04-20-2021, 04:28 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, that's what I was imagining and I've seen you mention the double sided cap before. I think in terms of dexterity and bag storage, it's a slightly clumsier option for me which gives me some concerns about swinging the camera into things. I might just need to buy one, try it and develop a different technique and retrain my muscle memory as 99% of the time I carry the camera it's one handed by my side and the PD strap would definitely feel more secure.
The ideal option involves taking the strap off and resting the camera in the open sling bag. This is the most secure method I’ve developed. The pd strap is harder to remove than some I’ve used, but it’s secure and a useful option when you have pd neck strap and want to use a wa wrist strap interchangeably with a neck one.
04-20-2021, 05:10 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess my favourite accessory is a padded bag insert that lets me use any backpack as a camera bag. I find it a lot more flexible than having a dedicated camera backpack with little room for other stuff (but I do have some of those as well).

I got one similar to this one: DSLR SLR Camera Bag Lens Protector Padded Insert Partition Case Organizer Bag N | eBay

It fits in my regular daypack as well as in any bigger backpack, of course. On my latest "serious" backpack (Osprey Xenith 88) I can fit it in the sleeping bag compartment in the bottom of the pack, easily reachable through the dedicated front zipper.