Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I often like a sling strap (PD Slide is my current favorite), especially when traveling and I have the camera attached to me all day (or need both hands at times to navigate public transit or something like that). However, there are plenty of times on more local outings where I've noticed that I am gripping the camera by hand all the time, and so a hand strap might be more effective. Who knows…I might find a way to let it dangle and use my hands effectively and move away from the Slide.

The PD Capture clip is also really handy. I will go out with the 645D and K-70 with a long lens on the K-70 (soon to be superseded by the K-3 iii) and something wide on the 645D. The D is on a strap while the APS-C is in the capture, either on my belt or on the end of my PD Messenger bag, where they have a specially-designed spot for Capture.
I have Capture Clips on most of my bags, and always rely on them.

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I find that I usually only use the hand strap if I have a backpack, otherwise I take the sling.
Nowadays I select bags in part based on their ability to accept a Capture Clip.

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
Probably not the best of ideas, but I recently experimented with clipping the cuff to my belt with a carabiner.
Have a look at the aforementioned Capture Clip.

04-20-2021, 06:48 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
May I ask what you do when changing lenses? It's likely your set up is different enough to mine for it not to work for me but I would like to use Peak Design wrist strap if I could make it work because that's how I use the normal camera strap anyhow.
In two words, Capture Clip. The camera is attached to the Clip which leaves my two hands free.

If for whatever reason I cannot use the Clip, I remove the lens, put it front first in my bag, remove the cap from the new lens, mount it, finish placing the cap on the first lens. Not as fast but it also works.
04-20-2021, 07:06 AM   #48
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
In two words, Capture Clip. The camera is attached to the Clip which leaves my two hands free.

If for whatever reason I cannot use the Clip, I remove the lens, put it front first in my bag, remove the cap from the new lens, mount it, finish placing the cap on the first lens. Not as fast but it also works.
Thanks, yes, that confirms my own thoughts on the capture clip being the ideal companion and brings me back to the same reservations on using one. I use the same lens changing technique though.

A conundrum still to solve then. I'm not entirely unhappy with wrapping the strap and the KP one is "assuming a shape" now and wraps easier, doesn't do them much good though and they do eventually crack and fray.
04-20-2021, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spare battery management

Tired of having my spare batteries misplaced or lost in the bag, I bought a Tenba Reload Battery 2 pouch. It carries 2 spares safely, and now the batteries are always on hand.

The Pentax D-LI90 packs have a small arrow at one end -- arrow showing in the pouch means it's charged and good to use; arrow hidden, time to recharge.

Reload Battery 2 - Battery Pouch | Tenba

- Craig

04-21-2021, 05:05 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Thanks, yes, that confirms my own thoughts on the capture clip being the ideal companion
I could talk at length about this accessory. I use it essentially everyday I shoot.

and brings me back to the same reservations on using one.
Which reservations?

I'm not entirely unhappy with wrapping the strap
I felt that way until I moved to my custom hand strap.
04-21-2021, 05:10 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Tired of having my spare batteries misplaced or lost in the bag, I bought a Tenba Reload Battery 2 pouch.
I use similar pouches, one from Think Tank, and a generic one from eBay. The Think Tank uses slimmer but solid fabric, I like it better.
04-21-2021, 06:53 AM   #52
Closed Account

Original Poster

Which reservations.
The main one is having the baseplate for it stuck semi-permanently on my camera, only removable with the Allen key. That's for two reasons, one it makes it more difficult to use the little Manfrotto in my first post and two, rather shallowly, I'm not keen on the aesthetics.

I would simply try it but for a strap and clip it's a reasonable outlay, half the cost of a 2nd hand 70 Ltd!

04-22-2021, 05:46 AM   #53
Pentaxian

The main one is having the baseplate for it stuck semi-permanently on my camera, only removable with the Allen key.
My tripod plates are always on-camera. I understand that for others it's different but for me it's moot since I use a tripod often enough that I WANT it to be permanently attached. Plus the V3 plates from PD are among the thinnest I've ever seen, a definitive bonus. You COULD get one of their older plates which also have a slotted screw, and maybe replace that screw with one featuring a D-ring. It gets complicated however.

one it makes it more difficult to use the little Manfrotto in my first post and two
Another moot point for me, I only use arca-Swiss compatible systems. Again, YMMV.

rather shallowly, I'm not keen on the aesthetics.
That's not shallow. You mean the asthetics of the Capture clip? Or the look you have when wearing a camera clipped to yourself?

My wife thinks I look a bit dump when backpacking with a camera on the shoulder strap, but on hikes, I get two types of looks. Knowing people who seem to appreciate what I'm doing, and surprised people who try to find out how the heck I'm managing that.

Plus smiles from those who also carry a Capture.

I would simply try it but for a strap and clip it's a reasonable outlay, half the cost of a 2nd hand 70 Ltd!
That is true, they scale up quickly. You could get just the Capture however, you wouldn't even need a strap! Or just get the Capture and Anchor Links, and make your own strap like I did

There's also a used marketplace on their website if you're in the US.
04-22-2021, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

My tripod plates are always on-camera. I understand that for others it's different but for me it's moot since I use a tripod often enough that I WANT it to be permanently attached. Plus the V3 plates from PD are among the thinnest I've ever seen, a definitive bonus. You COULD get one of their older plates which also have a slotted screw, and maybe replace that screw with one featuring a D-ring. It gets complicated however.
The only downside for me is the occasional need to swap the PD plate out for an L bracket. Fortunately, I mostly go on tripod in landscape orientation, where the PD plate works perfectly.
04-22-2021, 06:16 AM   #55
Closed Account

Original Poster

That is true, they scale up quickly. You could get just the Capture however, you wouldn't even need a strap! Or just get the Capture and Anchor Links, and make your own strap like I did

There's also a used marketplace on their website if you're in the US.
I think it's just going to come down to exactly that, trying it, except I may start with the strap rather than the plate.

Unfortunately I'm not in the US and I haven't seen any 2nd hand on ebay yet. I'll probably wait for an upcoming trip when we are able to stay away in hotels again and buy it for that.

Thanks for the input.
04-23-2021, 05:24 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The only downside for me is the occasional need to swap the PD plate out for an L bracket.
Yep. Each use case is different. I don't use an L-bracket so that doesn't bother me, but for others it's a no-go.

I think it's just going to come down to exactly that, trying it, except I may start with the strap rather than the plate.
Which strap exactly?

What I like about the PD straps is the quick anchors and, for the shoulder strap, the quick length adjustments.

Unfortunately I'm not in the US and I haven't seen any 2nd hand on ebay yet. I'll probably wait for an upcoming trip when we are able to stay away in hotels again and buy it for that.
Those who own Capture clips seem to keep them. And grow their stable!
04-23-2021, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

Some great accessories mentioned so far.. my add ons to the list are a bit mundane but for my wildlife photography they are really useful.

Roll of black electrical tape or gaffers tape..So many uses, takes up little space. ALWAYS have a roll.

large garbage bag.. 1 clear and lightweight and 1 black and heavy duty. good for keeping gear dry and me if I lay out on the forest floor for pictures.

Life straw... I tend to hike pretty far at times .. life straw lets me have drinking water when I need it.. takes up little room... even good for traveling. I usually have a small survival kit...its come in handy.

small Led pen light.. handy for macros when you dont have or want to carry any flash.

Monopod I take it on any hikes or nature walks.. not only good portable support for the gear but makeshift walking stick when you do something dumb like roll your ankle on a hike.

Al
04-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #58
Closed Account

Original Poster
Which strap exactly?
The Peak design cuff strap is the one I'm initially thinking of, instead of wrapping the Pentax strap.

Cuff Camera Wrist Strap | Peak Design Official Site
04-23-2021, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
ooooo, so many to chose from.

My Mindshift Ultralight Dual 36L backpack(now discontinued, so I bought a spare)? My Leofoto Kit LN-404C & DC-404C Center Column Series 5 Compatible Bowl Tripod Carbon Fiber (It was $100.00 less when I got it 2 years ago. max height of legs=70.8 inches, with raised column I need a ladder)? These 2 sprinf to mind, along with my Acratech ballheads and Benro geared head....

But I aspire to this...
I didn't go the van route, but this is a nice little toy hauler. It has a Cummins turbo diesel, so has lots of power to pull what I want it to pull.

04-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I didn't go the van route, but this is a nice little toy hauler. It has a Cummins turbo diesel, so has lots of power to pull what I want it to pull.
My faithful 2003 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab did 2 trips across the u.s., once as a family trip full of camping gear along with my photo gear, at that time a film camera and an Oly C5050 plus a tripod, and once moving one of my daughters to California, again with lots of my gear, this time a 645Z,flashes, tripod, and lenses. She's been a faithful girl, with an engine replacement. Her only fault was that she drank too much. Along the way, she was my helpmate for my construction related work from 2003 through 2012, and my art handing work until last February.

Sadly, then she was stolen to be used in an ATM heist, and abandoned on the side of the road with a broken out ignition. Now, it may be that she will be donated/towed away, an undignified end, as I don't want to spend the money to have her repaired, don't have time to do it myself and then the mess of re-registration & etc. Plus my life is different now, and don't need a 3rd vehicle for the occasional use she gets for chores. Too bad, she was a great girl.